3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Loud noise at high boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud noise at high boost?

When accelerating to high boost levels there sometimes is a loud noise. I believe it may be air escaping around a hose. Perhaps it acts like a woopie cushion. I hope.

Could it be something else?

Also, I have notice antifreeze spray. It either is coming from the overflow outlet or the cap itself. Again this seems to occur after high boost levels.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:02 PM

Would a head gasket problem cause the antifreeze to spray out of the cap? Especially at high boost levels.

Truck runs great, though.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:07 PM
alwaysonDTR

head gasket could let pressure into the cooling system, how high of boost?
when i broke a hose clamp in the turbo it sounded like a woppie cushin with a slight wistle to it.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:48 AM

My race twins are set at around 60 PSI. Rarely due I push them that high. I'm going to tighten the hose clamps a little to see if that fixes the noise. The noise is loud and repetitive at high boost levels. Scared me the first time. Tried it again just to see if I could locate it. Now I avoid doing it at all. It's like someone is shooting a potato gun every split second.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:42 AM

I guess I cant help with the noise,but I have a small set of twins and I also had the anti freeze problem comeing from overflow hose at high boost (around 60 psi also) and ending up on the turbos and side of valve cover.The first thing I thought was head gasket too.Then I read a forum a while back ,it seems to be a comin thing with twins.Mine doesn,t seem to do it anymore I guess the radiator sorta established its own level (still up in the filler neck).I thrashed it pretty good this week end and it didnt leak a drop so I wouldn,t get to worried about it just yet. just my $.02
Old 05-26-2008, 05:08 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moobesor
My race twins are set at around 60 PSI. Rarely due I push them that high. I'm going to tighten the hose clamps a little to see if that fixes the noise. The noise is loud and repetitive at high boost levels. Scared me the first time. Tried it again just to see if I could locate it. Now I avoid doing it at all. It's like someone is shooting a potato gun every split second.

Is it like a back fire kind of sound? You can also check the hotpipe in between turbos to make sure it isnt leaking there. I see you have ARP studs. What did you torque them to? Dont follow the 95ftlbs that the instructions used to say. It will spit a head gasket in no time at 95ftlbs.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:20 PM

I torqued the head studs to 128 ftlbs. Starting sequence to ending sequence: 55lbs;90lbs;105lbs; 128lbs.

I will check the hot pipe connections.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:40 PM

Does it sound kinda like a big rig jake brake coming from the driver side of the engine? I didn't see that you have an upgraded cp3 in your signature. Mine use to make a sound similar to a jake brake at WOT and my rail pressure was fluctuating between 12-15k at WOT. I would check your rail pressure that is probably the cause especially with injectors and stacking smarty and TST. They really use a lot of fuel.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:57 PM

Time for a CP3 Upgrade.. Your rail has to be getting drained.. I could run mine to a popping sound with just a Smarty on level 9 and the EZ on 1...
Old 05-27-2008, 05:46 AM

I had the popping sound before when I first installed the TNT program. It's not the same popping noise, however. This is much more aggressive and much louder.

I have the Smarty set at catcher #1 without rail pressure and on stock timing. TST is also set very low. I don't believe it is a fueling issue -- but I could be wrong. Still need to check the hot pipe connection. That seems quite reasonable as to the sound I am getting.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:59 PM

I am having a sound that sounds like what you are talking about. Mine only happens when i push the boost over 60# and it sounds like someone is shirt out the window and letting it flap in the wind.