24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Loud Squeeling Noise - Under Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud Squeeling Noise - Under Acceleration

I have the 01, 5spd, .410s, Straight piped, With an Edge Comp (for about 17months).

With the box on (only run 5x5) and any acceleration better than a turtle, or with the box on, and under more than basic acceleration I get this crazy squeeling noise.

My theory is Clutch, or throwout Bearing. My friend says it sounds like it is coming from the turbo. I don't feel that is possible because the turbo is always spinning, and should make some squeel all the time, as opposed to the squeeling that i get, mainly under torquey situations.

Does that make sense? Can anyone one help me?

My guess is that I need to go to the OFE. Dot eh clutches come with new bearings? If not, are there heavy-duty applications that I can get?

TIA!

--Phillip
Old 01-30-2004, 07:23 PM

Another interesting point...

Although teh squeeling doesn't occur below 1800RPM, if I accel gently enought, I can hit 2600RPM without a peep.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Belt squeal?
Old 01-31-2004, 08:57 AM

I could be way off the mark here (and probably am and will be corrected in short order) but it was to my thinking the the turbo actually just begins to come into play right around 1800 rpm, at least thats where the power curve really starts. I think your bud may be right, the turbo may need a bit of looking at, I've not taken one apart yet but would have to assume there may be a bearing or something headed south on you. It seems to reason the more stress on the turbo the louder she'd whine. Might be worth the looksee anyhows.

There are some far more knowledgable folks here that should chime in here shortly.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:09 AM

Well, I appreciate the input. I guess, the reason that I refuse to accept that it is the turbo, is that I'm afraid that it really is
Old 01-31-2004, 12:13 PM

not to worry , if it is the turbo they are not that much to buy! around 350 used and takes bout 30 minutes to change .
on another subject, does it make the noise in a certain gear more than another ??? my truck makes a horrible noise in 4th more than any other , just a thought , and my tranny is in good shape ... just alota torque from the cummins ,and it gripes about it
Old 01-31-2004, 02:57 PM

The noise is not Gear Specific. It's pretty much Throttle/Torque/Acceleration specific.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:54 AM

btt
Old 02-02-2004, 10:03 AM

Is there any visual way to tell if it is the belt? In neutral, with no load on the motor, I can't get it to squeal.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your tensioner could be packing it in as well, I don't have specs available to measure the tension that belt is supposed to be under, but it might be worth checking out.

A belt is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new turbo. Have a look at it...check for cracks or any glazing....if you haven't replaced it in a while...it could be due.

Pull the intake hose off and see if there is any visible damage to the inner housing and turbo fins...any excessive radial play due to worn bearings should show a wear mark on the housing.

Hope you get this sorted out....have you talked to a turbo shop to see if that squeal makes any sense?
Old 02-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Also if you pull the intake hose off the turbo, make sure it spins freely and is not difficult to turn. Grab the center of the turbine spindle and to move it laterally. Shouldn't be any play up or down, side to side or in any direction.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:56 PM

there will be some play side to side on hx35. but it should never be able to touch the side of the housing.
every plain bearing turbo i have played with has side to side and up and down movement. it suprised me at first. i thought i had a bad turbo. but the turbo shaft rides on a layer of oil. which you can displace buy pushing the shaft around.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:55 PM

These are the replies I was looking for. Thanks, I'll check it out tonight!

The noise doesn't sound like a belt to me because when I think belt, I think hight pitched but smooth. This sounds slightly lower (still fairly high) in pitch, and almost grinding or rough.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:36 PM

Call me crazy here but I think that your noise is just the turbo spooling and like you say if you acclerate slowly it isnt as loud but when you accel fast you can here it more, the harder you accle the quicker the tubo will spool and as you make more boost the faster it is turning Ive noticed on mine at about 20 psi it starts to get really loud and high piched.

Quick Reply: Loud Squeeling Noise - Under Acceleration