3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Just removed the silencer ring

Old 12-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
ohhh....I love it!!!, NO silencer ring, complete straight intake (no baffles) and a BHAF = SERIOUS

My buddies say, thats all they can hear, over my 4" Straight pipe exhuast.
Wait 'til you put a stack on....SCHWING!!!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Wait 'til you put a stack on....SCHWING!!!!!
exhaust stack? Actually, that im NOT going to do for a few reasons. Need my tool box, need the most room possible since I have a short bed to begin with, need a tonneau cover and dont feel like drilling holes in the bed.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Banned

exhaust stack? Actually, that im NOT going to do for a few reasons. Need my tool box, need the most room possible since I have a short bed to begin with, need a tonneau cover and dont feel like drilling holes in the bed.
All you need is a 5 inch circle. I'm like you, I wasn't going to give up much! All I had to do was slide my aux tank over.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So with that set-up and a short bed you would have a 1 foot bed!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
So with that set-up and a short bed you would have a 1 foot bed!!!
Ya...just like a Mega Cab with a little baby bed on it!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:07 PM

Viking, what type of air filter are you running? It looks like your turbo has been eating a little fine dust.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's in his sig...

BHAF
Old 12-19-2006, 03:20 PM

BHAF is just a generic term for Big Honking Air Filter right? Or is it actually a specific product?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Banned

ohhh....I love it!!!, NO silencer ring, complete straight intake (no baffles) and a BHAF = SERIOUS
AFE, UNI, K&N, etc. = far more serious than a BHAF
Old 12-19-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by rudy
This maybe a stupid question,but what is the advantage of taking out the silencer ring for?
Has anyone here ever seen a velocity stack? They smoothe airflow into a carb or throttle body.
Anyone here see any resemblance with this "silencer ring"? To me, it looks like it may very well serve to guide air into the turbo compressor wheel. With it missing, it looks like the transition from the intake tube will be very rough with an entire area of dead space where the ring used to be.

Just my observation.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cowboy 6
Has anyone here ever seen a velocity stack? They smoothe airflow into a carb or throttle body.
Anyone here see any resemblance with this "silencer ring"? To me, it looks like it may very well serve to guide air into the turbo compressor wheel. With it missing, it looks like the transition from the intake tube will be very rough with an entire area of dead space where the ring used to be.

Just my observation.
that is not what it's designed for... it is a silencer... it is not shaped like a velocity stack.

some HY combos have benefitted from less surge/bark by removing the sliencer, but you will not GAIN anything by installing one in a turbo that doesn't have one in it
Old 12-19-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
that is not what it's designed for... it is a silencer... it is not shaped like a velocity stack.

some HY combos have benefitted from less surge/bark by removing the sliencer, but you will not GAIN anything by installing one in a turbo that doesn't have one in it
I never said that is what it was designed for, but hey, thanks for putting me in my place.
I will throw away the velocity stack for my race car, it is obviously not what I thought it was.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Banned

sorry if I came off rude, it wasn't my intention

you'll note that the velocity stack on your race car has a much different shape than the shallow angle on the silencer ring... it's a curved slope designed to smooth the transition into the carb... and they do make bolt on and welded on velocity stack inlets for different turbos, but this was purely designed as a silencer.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:48 AM

I spend over an hour and could not get my snap ring out either, took some visegrips to the silencer ring. snap ring is still there come to think of it. Looks like you slipped pretty good with the screwdriver from the pictures. I put some paper towel bunched up in a ball infront of the turbo vanes however.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:04 AM

Talking

Sorry, Viking.Diesel But...Some people should not be allowed to use tools and work on there own trucks...
That`s the poster ad for Why Not To Buy Used Vehicle`s....
Nothing personal VikingDiesel... Please don`t take this to heart but, You are scary.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just removed the silencer ring