3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Just removed the silencer ring

Old 12-20-2006, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
sorry if I came off rude, it wasn't my intention

you'll note that the velocity stack on your race car has a much different shape than the shallow angle on the silencer ring... it's a curved slope designed to smooth the transition into the carb... and they do make bolt on and welded on velocity stack inlets for different turbos, but this was purely designed as a silencer.
I understand.
I was only commenting that this silencer ring seems to make for a smooth transition from the large intake tube diameter to the small compressor inlet.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:53 AM
Banned

I understand what you're saying, but nobody has ever quantified a performance gain by installing a silencer ring where there was not one previously. there HAVE been surge related performance gains on heavily fueled/quick spooling HY setups that REALLY need to make use of the MWE slot
Old 12-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Banned

I'm sure if the silencer rings added performance that all the II, HT, etc. after market, give me "oh-my God extra power" turbos would come with one....they don't....at least mine didn't. And if it robbed me of 1 or 2 hp (which it doesn't), I'm sure I wouldn't ever miss it!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:23 AM

What the heck happened?

You have to remove the snap ring before the silencer ring just falls out...
I just used to flat head screwdrivers, one to hold it from spining, and the other to work one side out, worked it around till it popped out and the silencer ring fell out...
Old 12-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacked97
What the heck happened?

You have to remove the snap ring before the silencer ring just falls out...
I just used to flat head screwdrivers, one to hold it from spining, and the other to work one side out, worked it around till it popped out and the silencer ring fell out...
Yes indeed!
I have yet to figure out why everyone is having so much trouble. Two free snap-on pocket screw drivers and about 15 seconds....I don't get it either. And have you noticed there are three or four "silencer ring" threads going right now? And that the stupid little thing boost performance?

TAKE 'EM OUT FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD! And if you don't like the sound, they go back in a lot easier than they come out...that is...if you have one to put back in...VIKING!!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 10:16 AM

Well fellas, it took me 10 minutes and if i remember correctly i had to stop and take a ..... So, it might have taken me 5. It did make a big difference in the sound though...sounds more like a jet engine. Pretty cool.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Yes indeed!
I have yet to figure out why everyone is having so much trouble. Two free snap-on pocket screw drivers and about 15 seconds....I don't get it either. And have you noticed there are three or four "silencer ring" threads going right now? And that the stupid little thing boost performance?

TAKE 'EM OUT FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD! And if you don't like the sound, they go back in a lot easier than they come out...that is...if you have one to put back in...VIKING!!!!
I tried to remove the ring a year ago and threw in the towel after 30 minutes. I think my ignorance contributed to the trouble I had getting it out...the gap in the split ring is at 12 o'clock, so I never knew it was there and had been trying to pry under the lip of the split ring instead of at the end. I tried it again this morning. Once I crawled under the truck and saw the gap, I knew exactly where to stick the screwdriver tip and it was out in about 30 seconds.

Scott
Old 12-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smcphc
Once I crawled under the truck and saw the gap, I knew exactly where to stick the screwdriver tip and it was out in about 30 seconds.

Scott
Yes. And sometimes you can take a larger screwdriver and spin the ring around so you can see it from up top....sometimes it won't spin.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:21 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Bad link

What is a "silencer ring"?

* A silencer ring is a metal baffle placed into the turbocharger inlet to reduce whistle from the turbocharger. It is installed in Ram truck engines at the request of Chrysler. The silencer ring has no effect on engine output, EGT, or boost levels.
* Removal: Remove the flex hose from the front of the turbo that goes to the breather. Just inside the turbo, you will see a snap ring that looks like a piston ring(charcoal color), very gently with a small flat blade screw driver, lift one end of the snap ring out of the groove, then continue to work around the snap ring, lifting it out of the groove. When the snap ring has been removed, you can easily remove the silence ring.

www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm
Old 01-31-2007, 04:30 PM

So yea.. I took the silencer out and the + bs and it made 0 difference. Not that I could tell so far.. Air box is still stock, could that be it? Besides dont turbos usually whistle through the exhaust more anyhow? Taking my cat off tomorrow for off road use. Is that worth it?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:07 PM

Sorry to pirate the thread but how much does a torque tube actually help?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:36 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for all the pictures! They will just add to my case that there should be a liscensing process to buy and/or use tools! But cudo's on the effort! removed the cross bars as well - sawzall and a 10" blade work wonders! Mine made a big difference in the whistle, and I have convinced myself that there is better throttle response too. (maybe not, but I feel better! )

Andy
Old 01-31-2007, 08:40 PM

Has anybody removed the white plastic piece at the bottom of the intake tube? It looks like it guides the air into the turbo.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 PM

I have read threads of people removing them to "improve airflow" and help make more noise.....but in all the new high flow HVAC ducts have the same baffles in the 90's to provide LESS restriction in those fittings....or maybe its all a big conspirasy???
Old 01-31-2007, 09:08 PM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just removed the silencer ring