3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hooking amp to Infinity System

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooking amp to Infinity System

Okay, I did a search but nothing came up on the problem I am having.

I hooked up a line level converter in the dash to the 2 rear speakers so I could run a couple of subs. For some reason there is always a low level of music comming through the subs even when I turn the volume all the way down to mute. The sub volume does not seem to increase or decrease with the volume of the radio....it just stays at this low level.

I am thinking it may be the converter since it is not like one I have used in the past. It is a 4 channel converter that I got from WalMart that has speaker level input AND outputs which seems a little odd. I didn't use the outputs, I just spiced into the factory harness. The instructions weren't real clear on what the outputs are for.

Thoughts???
Old 11-11-2005, 08:49 PM

When I went to do the same thing, several install shops said that the infinity systems were famous for being really difficult to tap into.
It is an ohm issue.
The infinity system is a 5 channel. They said it would be easier to change out the head unit, then hook up your amp. Normally I do my own installs too, but I would take that one to a good install shop and give them a shot at it if you want to keep your stock infinity system.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know if this helps you or not, but while searching forums about the RAH radio, I read that the infinity is a low-level system with amps at each speaker. Also read that in the non-infinity systems like mine, the factory speakers are 2 ohms. I really don't know myself, but maybe some others can help clarify this information?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:44 PM

I had the same problem you need to tap off of the rear of the head unit on the preouts [not sure what color wires] and then take that to your speaker signal to rca converter then to your amp. I had a hard time with it finally after 4 hrs the installers at circuit city figured that one out.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:11 PM

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this? I think I may need to tie in after the amp unless someone know exactly which wires that come out of the radio I need to hook up to.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:43 PM

you need to contact handymantim on this forum he seems to know alot about the wiring of these trucks he also has a stereo wiring diagram in his photo gallery
Old 11-13-2005, 01:26 AM

I did the exact same thing on my truck when I installed my amp. I finished the install, put everything back together, and I had no Bass out of the sub. It took me a while to figure out that the rear door speakers are Mid-Bass and higher only. There is no Bass signal at the wires to the rear door speakers. I had to dig back in the next day and wire the convertor into the front door speakers.

You'll be happy with the Infinty system if you putting in a Sub and Amp. Have fun!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:24 PM

Not sure if this applies or not...

I got the el cheapo 4 speaker system, switched out those 4 for aftermarkets, realized I needed a sub then, shop went to install 1 10" under the passenger rear seat with 200 watt amp, ended up needed a 400 watt, they said the 200 couldn't pull enough signal from the head unit (at least I think that's what they said) so had to go with a 400 watt. With the 200 you had to crank all 3 eq's up to get a signal which distorted the other speakers, with the 400 can back all bass out of those, I can crank mine to 35 now and no distorsion...
Old 11-13-2005, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by stlsparky
I had the same problem you need to tap off of the rear of the head unit on the preouts [not sure what color wires] and then take that to your speaker signal to rca converter then to your amp. I had a hard time with it finally after 4 hrs the installers at circuit city figured that one out.
I had this same problem, except I had a stereo shop do it and gave it back to me that way. When I took it back they had someone who knew what they were doing work on it. It took him about 15 minutes and it was done. He had to tap the wires at the Head unit before the Amp. This made a huge difference.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:43 PM

Well, I finally broke down and ordered a PAC OEM-1 that is "plug and play" and the problem still persists. I am not understanding what is going on here????
Old 11-21-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have read up alot on this subject. I usually do all me stereo work myself, but this time I think I am going to let a stereo shop do the install for me.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:37 PM

I ran a amp and sub off the wires behind the right side kick panel. Here is a great link that has all the wire colors and a great write up.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=62470
Old 01-28-2006, 03:13 PM

I found out what the problem is. From what I have read, Dodge switched the 05's radio output to a digital format that goes to the amp. So you can't just splice in a line-level converter at the radio nor does the PAC convertor work on the 05's. Just thought I would let some others know as this baffled me for a while and no one could give me an answer.

I ended up just spicing into the harness behind the right kick panel as some suggested. Not the best way to do it but it was my only option.