2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

how to install aftermarket cd player into infinity system

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to install aftermarket cd player into infinity system

Hi there,I just got a new JVC Mp3 Cd player for Christmas and I want to install it into my '98.5 3500. It now has the factory cd player with the Infinity Speaker System. I hear different stories from all the stereo experts saying I'll have to rewire the entire speaker system because Infinity uses a separate amp for each speaker,making the wiring harness adapter useless. Does anyone know if this is true? And if so,is there a way to wire this stereo without butchering the wiring, i want to be able to re-install factory deck,if i sell the truck.Thanks for any info you might have. :-[
Old 01-04-2003, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:how to install aftermarket cd player into infinity system

Infinity has always had amplified speakers. Be hard to bring it back to stock. You can sell the infinity stuff for more than the better unit that you put in it. Those speakers are expensive.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:36 PM

does the new deck have a front and rear rca output? As far as the info u have been give goes i would say it is accurate. If u wanted to return the deck and buy a changer that would play mp3's you can use a module that will plug into the head unit and be able to play it through that. there are several companies that are making adapter that will work to install additional pieces to the infinity system.<br><br>the reason i aske if ur unit has line outputs for the front and rear u may be able to use just a line output to the speaker and it should work<br><br>Dan<br><br>
Old 01-04-2003, 07:00 PM

I don't think it's a big problem to change head units. Any good reputable car audio shop ( not your average consumer type electronics store) should be able to get you a adapter harness. http://www.soundgate.com/index.htm is a good source for adapters and interfaces used in upgrading factory stereos. <br> When you think about all the Chrysler vehicles with &quot;Infinity&quot; sound systems, there is no way that the aftermarket would ignore these vehicles. Lot's of people lease the vehicles they drive, they need to return them to &quot;stock&quot; when the time comes, adapters and interfaces allow this.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:47 PM

YOU CANNOT change the desk on a 6 speaker infinity system and have it work with the factory speakers. The speakers are each amplified and hence useless. You must rewire the truck and each speaker seperately. This is an easy job you and a friend can do it in a couple hours. I am an installer and run my own shop so I can assure you anyone with some mechanical ability can do it. I would start by selling all the infinity speakers and then buying a component set for the front. I run focals in my truck a 6.5 driver and a 1&quot; tweeter. I also run a 2 way in rear doors off a zapco 360 4 channel amp. My subs 2 JL 12 w3's run off a 1000 comp amp this pumps huge. But if you don't want to go crazy just change the front speakers and leave the rear unhooked.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:36 PM

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/loc.asp

http://peripheralelectronics.com/periph_products/ cd_changer_autos/instructions/CHYAH.pdf

ADD-A-HEAD INTERFACES
Peripheral’s line of Add-A-Head devices provide a hassle-free direct plug in integration with factory premium sound systems. Add-A-Heads are outfitted with their respective OEM factory match connectors and feature circuit designs tailored for their specific applications. Most Add-A-Heads feature independent channel level adjustment.

CHYAH - Chrysler

1988 &amp; up. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth Premium Amplified Sound System radio replacement adapter.

Direct plug in adapter to add an aftermarket headunit to the factory amplifiers and speakers in Chrysler vehicles. Required when factory system is a common ground input and using a floating ground radio.
NOTE: 30 watts maximum input per channel.

will that work, probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to give em a call and find out

you can get it from sound domain for 28 bucks

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PERCHYAH

Old 01-04-2003, 10:44 PM

I figured that there was an interface available. Way to much coin and hassle to change speakers just to upgrade a head unit. Good find dodgeram!!
Old 01-05-2003, 07:40 AM

I put in an aftermarket unit in my 99 about a year ago and had no problems at all installing it. The truck does have the infinity sound system with the tweeters in the A-pillars. I bought the unit a Crutchfield, it come with the wiring harness, and adapter plate to mount it in the factory location. Took me a whole 25 minutes to do the install with Cruthfield's great directions and awesome customer service. 8) Everything works great, the only down side is, you can really tell how cheap those Infinity speakers are now with some wattage going to them. This summer I'm going to replace all the factory speakers with some good high quality units also from Crutchfield. I'm sure they sell the wiring adapter and faceplate by them selves, you might want to give them a call.<br><br>DB
Old 01-05-2003, 07:45 AM

Great find Dodgeram. I see it's rated for 30w/channel. I've got a 35w/channel Pioneer. Do you think it'll handle it if I don't go mental with the volume control? Where are people putting their subs? I don't want to lose the storage behind the seat for my golf clubs.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:21 PM

Thanks Dodgeram...sounds like it would work, but my deck is 50 watts x 4 channels... I woder if there are higher output units available??
Old 01-05-2003, 04:06 PM

This has me thinking now. <br>My truck came with the Infinity stereo. I bought a JVC cd player and had it installed. <br>They didn't have to re-wire anything to make it work. It's been like this for almost 3 years now.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Check this thread out if you haven't seen it yet. That Infiniti is a good system unless you want some real tunes with serious power. I pulled mine out and sold it and built a whole new system for some serious sound. Hope this helps you out.<br><br>http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/i...;threadid=8816
Old 01-05-2003, 05:43 PM

I'm fairly satisfied with the speakers,and i just want to leave it uncut,so i can put the factory deck in when it comes time to sell the truck(although that may be years away!).
Old 01-05-2003, 08:26 PM

the 50 watt x 4 rating is a peak output rating, the deck makes about 25 watts x 4 rms so it should be fine