3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS MINNOW i agree with you 100% . Tx diesal now that you bring it up, I got the same 2 problems. I learned very quickly that you have to 2 foot it to spool up the turbo if you need to pull out quick with the lag from the turbo, and **** near push the brake pedal thru the floor to stop it if you gotta jam on the brake after spoolup As far as the post a few up about us riding a bike if we only drive a few miles, I guess being he is a model driver that drives his diesal the correct miles every day, we should all wish to be like him I myself need one vehicle to cover everything i do,work,pleasure, haul the race trailer etc. Now on a good note , my milage is slowely creeping up a tenth at a time, but just now 2700 miles on the clock.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitman
Lazy Pig!!!? Maybe it's the small diameter 265's, or 4.10 rear, or the combo of both but a Lazy Pig it's not.

The Fruitman

Maybe, that combination would work.
I suppose if this was my first diesel truck and had nothing to compare it to, I would go along blindly happy too.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:06 AM

Nice Pearland. Actually after reading in here I did a couple short driving trips about a hundred miles each to see what I would get with the new truck. Short I realize, just an excuse to go for a drive.
Funny most of the people I have met in Tx have been friendly.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:12 AM

Our truck has 3600 miles now. My hand calculated mileage has averaged 13.3 (probably 60% highway) Our low was 9.2 pulling 14K lbs @ 65-70 mph. Our high was 15.7 empty @ 70-75 mph. The overhead computer has been within 1 mpg +/-. Our Cummins has a build date of 10-31-05. I plan to get the TSB 18-003-06 flash, but I hate to mess with a good thing. We are having no issues with this truck (knock on wood) other than seemingly less fuel mileage than average(?) and I would hate to let the dealer have it and screw something up. Anyone have a line on the best Dodge/Cummins service technician in the Tidewater area of Virginia? We bought ours from Hall Dodge but I have no problems going elsewhere.

BTW, thanks for all the good info...this site rocks!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave06
Nice Pearland. Actually after reading in here I did a couple short driving trips about a hundred miles each to see what I would get with the new truck. Short I realize, just an excuse to go for a drive.
Funny most of the people I have met in Tx have been friendly.
Oh, I am friendly, but here in Texas, we have a thing you have not heard of, reality. I can get 30 MPG on a 100 mile trip if I wanted to Like I said, after 10K, then you can post all of your 22-23 MPG stories you want, still want beleive em, but there is no way that you can tell me that you have come up with a fair average after a 100 mile trip.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:19 AM

I love these forums! These are not race vehicles. Well, mine isn't. Simply put, they almost defy the laws of physics. I mean, with minor (ok, maybe some major) modifications we can go to the track and pull low 12's!!!!!!! And by no means have my feathers been ruffled (Rolnthun), but I think a 8k lb + 4wd Pick-Up capable of that is astonishing! Especially in this day/age with EPA regs being what they are. You of all people should acknowledge this, especially with your track background. Dontcha Think?

I feel like a 16 year old again with a new drivers license and mom's galaxy 500!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:56 PM

True enough.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:46 PM

originally posted by Rolngthun: Which of course makes the transmission down shift and the rpms soar. It is like driving a 4 cylinder rice burner the way it likes to downshift.
Dude, with this I agree, if I have it in "O/D OFF" and in 4wd I think I can get 4" of air from a dead stop. And there's no way I can take it on the interstate in this mode. So, yea maybe a 6 speed would be better for guys like you and I but honestly, I've driven my friends 97' stick, and I'm so glad I went with an Automatic. 1st is too low for anything but pulling so 2nd winds out fast, and uphill, downshifting into 4th all the time. Cmon', by then isn't that the same as ours? Besides, ma beer's spilling all over the place, no up close cuddly stuff with my funny little honey. Naaaaa, I'm happy with my 13-17 mpg 8k lb haul anything I got automatic pick-em up truck. I'll leave the racing to you young bucks. Maybe it comes with old age, just last year I sold a perfectly good free and clear 1982 Customized 1000 Sportster XLS to go back into debt for a bagger. But when the time comes to head home from the bar at the end of the night and the temp is below 50 deg, that new fangled fuel injection sure does come in handy .

The Fruitman
Old 06-14-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I broke mine in hard with alot of weight and now it has 22k on it and running around town, hiway and side streets, the overhead says 14. Sounds like the flash may be for me. On the hiway only at aroun 70 or 75 the mileage doesn't really go up. Any thoughts?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:47 PM

I have had all the reflashes done on my 06. The overhead still is a pile of crap. I got inner this morning with the outside temp being 68 degrees. My overhead said -40 degrees. Somehow I don't think it is very close. The overhead also said 14.3 mpg. When I hand calculated it. It was 16 mpg.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitman
Dude, with this I agree, if I have it in "O/D OFF" and in 4wd I think I can get 4" of air from a dead stop. And there's no way I can take it on the interstate in this mode. So, yea maybe a 6 speed would be better for guys like you and I but honestly, I've driven my friends 97' stick, and I'm so glad I went with an Automatic. 1st is too low for anything but pulling so 2nd winds out fast, and uphill, downshifting into 4th all the time. Cmon', by then isn't that the same as ours? Besides, ma beer's spilling all over the place, no up close cuddly stuff with my funny little honey. Naaaaa, I'm happy with my 13-17 mpg 8k lb haul anything I got automatic pick-em up truck. I'll leave the racing to you young bucks. Maybe it comes with old age, just last year I sold a perfectly good free and clear 1982 Customized 1000 Sportster XLS to go back into debt for a bagger. But when the time comes to head home from the bar at the end of the night and the temp is below 50 deg, that new fangled fuel injection sure does come in handy .

The Fruitman
I am not looking to race my truck. I have better toys for that purpose.
I just want the throttle response and mileage of the 04 for this 06.
Everyone who drove the 04 said this truck is a blast to drive, now these same people ask what is wrong with this truck?
A diesel should be able to pull without cranking at 3000 rpms.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:48 AM

That must be my dissadvantage, I'm only comparing this to an older, 99' 360, 1/2 t, and a 97 5.9l 3/4 t with a stick.

I like mine.

Fruitman
Old 06-25-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update, 77mph empty gave me ahand calc of 17mpg, overhead is wrong i guess.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:38 PM

If I turn the TST down empty and keep it on cruise I do really well at 60-65MPH the overhead was showing 24. After and hour of driving 70 it dropped to 22.5. Then after a few hours of running 75 it dropped to 22. Once I had finished the trip to indy and back I filled up stock and auxillary tank I had calculated the same mileage with a half a mile to the gallon. It has panned out a couple of times when towing to be pretty accurate.

THIS IS INSANE. I know what you are thinking BS. I would say the same cause when I first got truck the overhead was 2.5 better than hand calculations. After installing TST which should have made it even worse it actually got better. Maybe I've got a diesel fuel fairy adding fuel when i'm not looking LOL. Towing at 22,500 the best I have seen is 12 but I have not been in the best circumstances. Had a boost elbo problem that was keeping boost too low. Then I adjusted elbo and had a bad intercooler leak that later left me at a dealer getting it replaced. With TST removed I showed 14 on overhead but could not hand calculate that tank. I think it was actually 11.5 without TST but I think I could get 13 with TST hand calculated towing without any enormous mountains (SANDSTONE WV)
Old 06-25-2006, 08:38 PM

Mileage numbers are just pieces of history....Once you burned the fuel you can't go back and change the results. If you want good mileage keep the boost below 8 all the time. I've got too much to think about in life to fret over the $4 extra I burned by deciding to drive a little faster. My time is worth $30 an hour. I can't drive fast enough to burn $30 extra in an hour if the drive is just a waste of time and not for pleasure.