3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel pressure gauge noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pressure gauge noise?

I installed my Isspro fuel pressure gauge into the top of dash mount a few weeks ago. I ran a line from the CP3 to the gauge. I know I am supposed to use an isolator, but I live on the edge anyway. The problem I am having I think is only going to be solved by adding an isolator. The stupid line vibrates like crazy and make the worst noise going down the road. I wasnt bad at first, but it got so bad withing a few weeks that I have now pinched off the line to do away with it. What can I do besides an isolator to get the line to quit vibrating?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Chapter President

Hey Dmax, I just got done researching this through the search function here. And it seems I was correct to begin with. The noise we are hearing is comming from the CP3. They all said that if you move the banjo w/tap into the bottom of the fuel filter housing, or use a needle valve the vibe noise will go away. Try these threads:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...re+gauge+noise
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...pressure+noise
Old 03-28-2006, 06:43 AM

Save yourself grief and noise. Cut into the line between the CP3 and filter. No banjo bolts, no vibrations. You need a tee and a couple clamps with a needle valve. Cost about 2 bucks. Same pressure there as at the CP3 right?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:36 AM

Well then, Im off to NAPA to get a needle valve. Thanks guys. How on earth do yall get the search function to net you results like that? I always end up with "No items found matching your description" or something like that. I give up
Old 03-28-2006, 08:21 AM

I have the same noise from installing a fp guage this past weekend. Its like a buzzing/ticking noise. Its not bothersome for me unless the radio is on low. If it gets too annoying I will move it like streetsmoker said.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Chapter President

All I did was type in "Fuel Pressure Gauge Noise" really hard to do , It took me half a second to type it, so it might take you longer.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the noise originally when tapped into the cp3 and using a needle valve and isolator. I found the hose would actually move a bit as it stiffened under fuel pressure of the engine running, and it was touching something. The stainless braided hose definitely makes vibration noise against anything it touches, and more noise the more bends it has. I covered most of the stainless hose with rubber fuel hose which muted it almost completely.. At this point it's only occasional that I hear it, and during acceleration. With the overbearing noise of the exhaust and turbo it's a non issue at this point..the whole **** thing is loud...lol...

Adjusting the needle valve had no bearing on the noise.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:46 PM

Be careful what that braided line touches! It will eventuall wear through all forms of rubber and plastic I've seen as well as steel sheet metal!

Andy
Old 03-28-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by realsquash
Be careful what that braided line touches! It will eventuall wear through all forms of rubber and plastic I've seen as well as steel sheet metal!

Andy
Also a good point.. Outside of making sure the braided line doesn't touch anything (which accounted for most of my noise originally), wrapping it with fuel hose definitely quieted it. I am not concerned about the life of the 25 cent length of hose I used. However I still would be careful as andy points out that braided hose doesn't touch anything..