3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally Happy with My Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally Happy with My Exhaust

I feel that I have been somewhat of a guinea pig as far as aftermarket exhausts go. I had the Mangnaflow system, straight piped, DynoMax Race Bullet and finally straight piped with a turndown. I have to say that I am finally pleased with the straight piped setup with a 4" turndown. I no longer have any drone! Anyway, if anyone wants to know about any of these setups, I'll try my best to let you know what I thought of them.

4" Magnaflow XL Muffler for Sale

4" DynoMax Race Bullet Muffler for Sale
Old 03-31-2004, 12:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would like to hear your results. What was the length on the Magnaflow muffler?

MikeyB
Old 03-31-2004, 12:54 PM

Where is the downturn? I have a straight pipe-w-a downturn chrome tip but I turned it a little toward the rear because-w-it pointing straight down it kicks up a lot of dust when I start it. How about an angle downturn just in front of the rear axle? That would remove the big hump over the axle???
Old 03-31-2004, 03:23 PM
Banned

Don't get rid of the pipe that goes over the axle. I have mine done this way (no turn down though) and it is INCREDIBLY LOUD. It droans like no one's business. I've ridden in a guy's truck who has it done just the way ppsi described it and his is no better. I'm actually getting ready to buy the piece that goes over the axle. Keep it as far back as you can.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:07 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Chadrock- My truck is set up the same as yours, and I gotta agree with you about the turndown tip. I was amazed how much difference it made in the sound inside the truck.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:10 PM

The Magnaflow muffler is approximately 30" overall (part #13972) and is stainless steel It was definitely the quietest of the setups I've had. It is a straight through, baffled design, which helps reduce backpressure and EGTs. The sound difference at idle and cruising was minimal (a little deeper). Under acceleration it was noticeable, not obnoxious at all, and deeper. I didn't notice any more drone with the Magnaflow than with the stock setup.

The DynoMax Race Bullet is actually a really good muffler. It has the same straight through, baffle design as the Magnaflow however it is much more compact (16.5" overall length vs. 30"). There is not as much insulation so it is a little louder than the Magnaflow muffler at idle, cruising and when WOT, but still not obnoxious. I really didn't notice much difference in drone with this muffler vs. the Magnaflow. At $50, it is really affordable.

The straight piped setup that I originally had on my truck (no turn down) was, in my opinion, very loud. I noticed that around 2000 RPMs that there was a noticeable drone, which around town isn't unbearable, but on a long highway trip, might get to you. Also, since the exhaust exited out the side of the truck, I would get a really loud echo anytime I drove by a car, wall, etc. This also may annoy the person sitting in the passenger seat. The two things I didn't like about this setup is the drone and the blaring echo when driving by something.

Lastly, my straight piped setup with a 4" turndown... this gave me the sound I was looking for (LOUD, but not obnoxious) and resolved both the drone and echo issue. I am very happy with this setup, however I must say again, it is a LOUD setup, but the turndown dissipates the sound out the rear.

I have to say that these statements are "in my opinion" and may not reflect what you may experience with one of the above setups. I also have a full 4" exhaust system and an AFE Magnum Force Intake, which may affect the sound of the exhaust setups.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:58 PM

where did you get the 4inch turndown, i`ve been looking on the net for them with no luck
Old 04-02-2004, 05:15 PM

Through a local shop here in Vegas. I'm not sure if their email site is working yet, but I can give you the name and phone number and you could probably order one over the phone.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:43 PM

I should also say that even though the DynoMax website says that the Race Bullet Muffler has moderate sound control and is race use only, I don't think it is an overly loud muffler. I also think there are some mufflers made for street use that are louder. In my opinion, if you wanted a straight through designed muffler and didn't care if it wasn't stainless steel, I would probably purchase the Race Bullet over the Magnaflow muffler and save a $100 or so.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by dodgedude361
where did you get the 4inch turndown, i`ve been looking on the net for them with no luck
Then you must not have tried Airflow Systems. That's where I got mine.