3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Happy Happy Happy

Old 11-25-2002, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy Happy Happy

Just got back from the dealer and was able to drive back to the office in the new '03! ;D Great ride...sticks like glue...not quite as quiet as I was expecting (but that's okay cuz I LOVE IT!)...great truck and free pin striping to boot! (Dealer called me last thursday and says &quot;you wanted pin striping right?!&quot; to which I said no! Then he says &quot;well you can come take a look and we'll take it off if you don't like it! Otherwise no charge.&quot; ;D It looks okay, but I'll hold off on any snap judgements - they'll still take it off later if I want.<br><br>Details...'03 2500 patriot blue 4x4 auto, black bulldog box liner, mudflaps back &amp; front, chrome winter front grille inserts, stainless steel nerf bars, trailer tow group, towing mirrors, rear slider, and pinstriped to boot. <br><br>On the trip back from the dealer the computer said the average was 24 mpg ... hope this can continue (I somehow doubt it baut hey a guy can hope!)<br><br>One more thing... the dealer told me that a notice came out for them to check a certain lot of axles ... mine was checked and refilled with synthetic. They are saying that some were shipped with dino instead.<br><br>Last thing of note, the truck salesman sai that when you first turn the new cummins over it only fires on three cylinders until you touch the accelerator. Is this for real?<br><br>Real happy dzlr
Old 11-25-2002, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Happy Happy Happy

[quote author=converteddzlr link=board=17;threadid=7547;start=0#72318 date=1038256455]<br>Last thing of note, the truck salesman sai that when you first turn the new cummins over it only fires on three cylinders until you touch the accelerator. Is this for real?[/quote]<br><br>Judging by your location, they probably already have the cold idle feature included.<br><br>It indeed fires on 3 cylinders to help it warm up quicker.<br><br>phox
Old 11-25-2002, 05:40 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Phox,<br><br>Common baby, don't make a statement like &quot;it fires on three cylinders&quot; and then walk off. ??? ??? Talk. Tell us how that helps it warm up faster. Fascinating.<br><br>CuriousBob
Old 11-25-2002, 05:49 PM

;D I think that sales rep is running on 2 cylinders! ;D <br><br>Congrats there, converteddzlr. 8)<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill
Old 11-25-2002, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=FiverBob link=board=17;threadid=7547;start=0#72365 date=1038267653]<br>Phox,<br><br>Common baby, don't make a statement like &quot;it fires on three cylinders&quot; and then walk off. ??? ??? Talk. Tell us how that helps it warm up faster. Fascinating.<br><br>CuriousBob<br>[/quote]<br><br>That's all I know.<br>Us 24valvers can have an ECM/PCM reflash to allow the &quot;cold idle&quot; feature.<br>My guess is that up in the frozen north, some of them are being delivered with that feature enabled.<br><br>There has been discussions of cold weather idleing on here, maybe do a search, I can't remember if any of them actually said &quot;how&quot; it works, just that it does.<br><br>phox
Old 11-26-2002, 04:15 AM

Ever hear a 6 cyl engine firing on only 3 cly? Sounds like John Deere, but shakes so much they would have &quot;child protective services&quot; there in a minute. You would lose custody of your baby for child abuse. <br><br>Half the fire always warms things up faster, right?
Old 11-26-2002, 07:11 AM

Congrats on the new truck. I like the color ......<br><br>Look here @ TSB 18-019-01 for the cold idle enable description: <br>http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/18-019-01.htm<br><br>It is written for the ETC's, but apparently if you've got the HO, some dealers will do it under warranty, but some will charge a half hour of labor to do the enabling. HO's don't require the reflash.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:09 AM

Sure enough, fired her up this morning and she was running good but sounded different. Seemed like as soon as my foot thought about getting close to the accelerator (okay, maybe it touched it a BIT ;D) the other three came to life immediately and boy does she like to hum a pretty little song!<br><br>Still happy happy happy Ken ;D ;D ;D
Old 11-26-2002, 05:25 PM

Should be plugging her in for at least a couple of hours. Better than runn her on 1/2 her cylinders.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:34 PM
jet

Congrats Ken, enjoy her. My wait just began.<br><br>jet
Old 11-27-2002, 11:12 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Is someone serious here? ??? We are not &quot;tongue in cheek&quot; when saying three cylinders? How can three warm up faster than six? Man, I am with you, Sierra - - it has to shake the fillings out of your teeth if you are in it.

Can someone in the know tell us about these things? Curious minds want to know. :P

ConfusedBob

ps: durn - - I will probably never get to try it. Cold is 60 down here.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:37 AM

Fiver - My manual on the HO mentions the higher cold idle speed. It will automatically ramp up to 1000 RPM until you hit the throttle, or brake or whatever. The manual doesn't say anything about the 3 cylinder thing, so perhaps the HO doesn't need it.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:56 AM

I suspect that it would warm the engine because you would have twice as many compression strokes as you would have power strokes. Sort of an induced &quot;load&quot; on the engine. Think of it as trailer towing without a trailer.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:49 PM

I don't claim to know everything about these trucks but I study em pretty hard. I can not find any info in my sales books or anything about this 3 cylinder thing. It was 18 degrees when I fired mine up this morning(not pluged in) And it runs normal. It does rev up after 2 minutes too about 1,000 RPM's. I do have one odd duck HO on my lot that goes into high idle the the second you start it up, weird if it's cold that is.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:48 PM

Fiver and All, The guy that came up with more heat being generated by three cylinders than all six, is the same guy that said he had invented the &quot;perpetual motion machine&quot;, had found the universal solvent and had kept a sample in a bottle, and as I recall he also found an exception the the &quot;Laws of Thermodynamics&quot;.

That guy has really been busy in his long career.

A warm up higher idle speed during warm up I can believe?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Happy Happy Happy