3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Broken connecting rod!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hohn I have to disagree by the way these truck dont dyno 325hp stock so now whos a thief lol
Old 02-27-2008, 02:03 PM

325 at the crank its how most engines are rated. Even the 500 hp viper is not 500 the wheels, only performance and aftermarket rate in wheel hp.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 PM

HOHN, not to start anyhting but,
Did any of your MODS cause these to fail?

VP at 40K (warranty)
ECM at 55K (warranty)
Old 02-27-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
All I have to says is MMM....... He needs to pay for it himself.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:27 PM

Towing Heavy is wayyyyyy harder on an engine than dynoing....450hp over a long time with elevated temps on the coolant and thinning oil will do way more damage than a 4 second blip of the throttle. Having a programmer on HOT and towing heavy....that there is the problem...supporting mods can help alot but won't be 100 %. I towed two forklifts on my 9k dump trailer...thats around 25k with Smarty Beta 4.4....but water was flowing a full and boost was kept under 25psi....using the skinny....common sense goes a long way. KS
Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Just so you guys know, it was denied again. They lifted the head and the cylinders were all scored badly and you could just tell it was high EGT's. I believe in the " you play, you pay " mentality, wanna see the receipt for the new ECM I got 3 weeks ago

He cooked it, blew it up and of course it was a junk Cummins and as soon as he gets it together it will be traded in on a Ford. You cant fix stupid.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah.....that Ford will pull 30K and not do any harm to the engine either! LOL He hated the bill for the Cummins..........wait for the bill for the Powerstroke!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All this talk about mods and warranty and damage done will make you second guess if its all worth it.Taking a truck intended for 300k miles of work and turning it into a hotrod and expecting it to last just as long.I know I baby mine for the most part but the few times I hammer down I wonder how many miles off the life of this motor I just wasted.We put all this time and money into these motors thinking about all the power we're making and not considering the damage being done.Major failures like this make me step back and second guess what the heck I'm doing!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like anything......in moderation is fine..........in excess will cost you $$ !
Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by torquet
HOHN, not to start anyhting but,
Did any of your MODS cause these to fail?

VP at 40K (warranty)
ECM at 55K (warranty)
No. My VP sees no higher peak workload than stock.

ECM failures even in stock trucks aren't that rare.

The key difference here is that I made no effort to HIDE any mods I have done. I took my truck to the dealer with the void sticker on the ECM obviously cut-- and I told them as such. The tech that drove my truck remarked on the "snappy" response (smarty installed!).

In fact, the dealer's initial "repair" for the bad VP was unblocking the wastegate I had plugged, hahaha.

The diesel tech at the local Dodge dealer had seen a lot of modded trucks. No one with any sense (never mind integrity) would try to think they could fool him. He saw TONS of third gens with bad injectors, and obvious evidence of mods (velcro underhood, "clean spots" where they shouldn't be, etc) and the owners swore their trucks were stock.

I think my honesty was refreshing to him and he agreed that none of my mods would cause any of the damage he repaired, and thought warranty coverage was appropriate.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by homewrecker
All this talk about mods and warranty and damage done will make you second guess if its all worth it.Taking a truck intended for 300k miles of work and turning it into a hotrod and expecting it to last just as long.I know I baby mine for the most part but the few times I hammer down I wonder how many miles off the life of this motor I just wasted.We put all this time and money into these motors thinking about all the power we're making and not considering the damage being done.Major failures like this make me step back and second guess what the heck I'm doing!
I don't think sensible mods reduce the lifespan of a Cummins by any appreciable amount.

The CTD in this thread failed because the truck's owner was a knucklehead. He would have found a way to kill a stock truck, given enough time.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
I don't think sensible mods reduce the lifespan of a Cummins by any appreciable amount.

The CTD in this thread failed because the truck's owner was a knucklehead. He would have found a way to kill a stock truck, given enough time.
The original post in this thread was my friends truck and he wasn't being a knuckle head.Had tri-dog on tow and closely monitoring egt's ect... I hope this was a defective part from the factory and not related to the few romps on it made over the past few weeks of having this new found addiction.Still no word on the warranty situation.They were supposed to tear into it today.Said they would call if there was an issue.I guess no call could be a good thing!I really hope they cover it as I don't see how they could say this is aftermarket related.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 PM

I think you are deluded if you think you can modd these trucks and still get a 350,000 mile major overhaul cycle.... I had to replace my stock motor or rebuild it at about 170k miles...cracked a ring, dropped a valve, scored a cylinder....If I had towed within specifications at stock power I have absolutely no doubt that same motor would have made it to 350k. This is straight engineering...If you can keep this engine at less than a 50% duty cycle less than 2000rpm and 50% less than 2600rpm at stock power it will last to limit....If you raise boost, raise average EGT's, raise coolant temps, raise rpm limits, raise valve spring rates, raise cam lift, increase timing, and increase fueling....you will shorten the life of the engine substantially....and I have lots of examples on this site of failure and only a few of survival. KS