3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Broken connecting rod!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not making money... that's an understatement. GM lost $39,000,000,000 last year. They lose around $2000 for every vehicle they sell.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They also state their highest failure rate is trucks with mods ie fueling enhanchers.Thats why they look so hard.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by matego
One of the guys here at work, his dad has a 05 3500 and blew the rod out the front 2 weeks ago. Totally trashed the engine. His came out the side of the block and broke off the ECM. He towed it to his dealer and they denied warranty because he had a Fram filter on it. He pulls loaded extremely heavy (30k+) all the time and had about 85k on it. He was trying to find a complete engine to swap in but I dont think he found one suitable yet.
If it was my truck, I would never have a fram filter on it.
Besides for that, in his case i would put a used fleetguard filter on it from a different truck and tow it over it to a genuine Cummins Shop or another Dealer the next state over.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 AM

Cummin stores cannot do warranty work.Only Dodge dealers.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 AM

If filter failed he certainlly has a case with with Fram(?) or whoever.
Dodge/Cummins would have to prove the filter was the cause. The price of filer from reconized source is cheap insurance.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:00 AM

Blackstone labs will analise a filter as well as able to tell if filter media is in the oil.Biggesft thing I have read that poor oil filters coming apart do is stopping up the cooling orfices in the pistons.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:19 PM

As for the Bully Dog,

If the dealership looks at the ignition cycles, they are going to know a programmer was on their no matter that he removed it. I think he is going to have a hard time getting warranty work done if they start down that road.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost Ram
if i were him i would try to find a suitable attorney instead.
Everyone should know not to use Fram filters on a Cummins. I know of 2 blown motors myself that had Fram filters on them. They both had oil analysis ran and found pieces of filter in the oil. Why is it everyone always is so quick to get an attorney these days? Fram + Cummins = NO NO....

By the way. Fram did pay for the repair of both trucks. He needs to pull an oil analysis to see for sure what happened.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
KKB

After 1 blown motor to a Fram, why in the world would you still use Fram and have a second motor go due to the Fram?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They were 2 different people with 2 different trucks.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by Spooler
Everyone should know not to use Fram filters on a Cummins. I know of 2 blown motors myself that had Fram filters on them. They both had oil analysis ran and found pieces of filter in the oil. Why is it everyone always is so quick to get an attorney these days? Fram + Cummins = NO NO....

By the way. Fram did pay for the repair of both trucks. He needs to pull an oil analysis to see for sure what happened.
I KNOW what happened but he will never admit it to anyone else. He tows very heavy all the time. He asked me how to get some more power for towing up the hills..... cheap. After the lecture of gauges, EGT's and throttle management I put a BDTD on his truck. I told him to run the economy setting until he got the gauges. Well guess what... No gauges 2 years later and it has been on extreme the whole time 2 weeks after I helped him out. I am surprised it took this long to blow, to be honest. He has spun on a Chrysler filter that he put some old oil in and took it to a dealer about 50 mi. away. They agreed to pull it down and see what caused the failure. I have been waiting on the call from him to see what they say.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:54 PM

i threw a rod in my truck a year ago. held 5000 rpm for about 30 seconds and lost #5 the entire rod came through the block through the cam and through the starter the motor was trashed. valves smashed into the head anything you could think of keeping for spare was junk. i found a place on ebay that sells used motors and bought one for 6800 bucks with 35,000 miles on it. shieds will build and sell you one but they told the cheapest they could do it for was around 10 grand because they do so much to them when they rebuild them.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by matego
He has spun on a Chrysler filter that he put some old oil in and took it to a dealer about 50 mi. away.
So *that's* the price of integrity these days.

Small wonder then that all the rest of us get screwed on warranty when there are so many people trying to rip off Chrysler/Dodge.

Dodge sold your friend a Dodge truck with a 325hp engine. They warranted a 325hp engine.

If *I* were the dealer, I'd void your friend's engine warranty so fast that the fax machine would have wet ink smeared on it.

When the engine's hp is increased, the warranty for the engine and anything it turns is, and should be, completely void.

I'm sympathetic to those guys who have Dodge void an air conditioning warranty for a power upgrade-- I think that's total BS on Dodge's part. If increasing the power doesn't stress a part, it should be covered. This is obviously not the case here.

I can hardly blame them for being so aggressive on warranty coverage when there are--dare I say it?-- THIEVES out there who are stealing warranty coverage they are not entitled to.

Submitted for the consideration of the group...
Old 02-27-2008, 01:21 PM

dang hohn wich dealership do you own, so i know never to buy anything or take anything to you
Old 02-27-2008, 01:59 PM

IF the ecu got smashed up they wont be able to read codes or counts. Since it got crushed and or the wires got ripped off then that is no longer a valid source of info. Fram filters are junk have been for years wont use them on a lawnmower. Pure One is the only filter I run, they have been tested and shown to filter very well, the media is not paper and the 1 way valve is rubber not cardboard.

If the mech that tears it down is even worth half what he is paid he will be able to see why the rod went. The oil gally should be full of crap and the crank bearing should be spun. If this is the case I bet 10-1 it will be denied, I am sorry for your friend but we all learn the hard way. Proper maintaince with high quality parts and fluids is key. If you push it past its limits its not a case of if, more when something will break.

Quick Reply: Broken connecting rod!