General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Connecting rod questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connecting rod questions

I'm in a debate on another board about diesel connecting rods. Some guy posted that photo of the Cummins, chevy, ferd rod and the guys are asking questions about why the Cummins rod is so big. I'm wondering to now. What is the Cummins rod made out of? Ferd and Chevy rods? Why is the big end of the Cummins rod rotated like it is? I'm guessing it has to do with the I6 design of the engine. Thanks for the help yall.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:15 PM

Not sure about most of the questions but it think the cummins rod is tilted sideways so you can pull it up through the cylinder with the end cap off.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats the way they build them. The Cummins engine is lofing around at 325hp and 600ft/lbs of torque. It will turn out 750ft/lbs of torque in a heart beat. The engine is more capable than that, but for going down the road, Cummins chooses to keep it a step ahead of the competition, finally. If you think the rods are big, just think about the crankshaft size.

This is also a medium duty diesel. Dura whatever and power something are light duty engines. The Cummins is made for the long haul. 12V engines, In my opinion are far better than 24Valve engines and are true diesels. 24V engines like all the rest are subject to sensor failure and in the case of the 24V, the fuel
pump (lift pump) is not worth the time takes to change it.

So, I guess tell your pals, that if they want durability and not just a 3 to 5 year truck (engine) get a Cummins.

There is more than one millon plus mile 5.9B on the street.

Dave
Old 05-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Material is forged steel. The cap is sideways for cam lobe clearance. We're talking apples and oranges, though. A long stroke inline is going to have bigger rods than a V-8 with shorter stroke.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:04 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love that picture of the rods side by side too.
With so much torque down at low RPM the rods have to be very strong and the Cummins seems to be built with a lot of headroom for power increases without breaking anything. But there's also another factor in the rod size. With the Chevy, Dodge, and Ford engines all about the same displacement, Dodge has only six rods to handle the horse power and the others have eight. Makes sense they'd be bigger even if they were built as light as possible. Sometimes the rod is set at an angle to fit through the bore. I don't know if the Cummins rod would fit through if it was straight.

Wetspirit
Old 05-19-2004, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CoastalDav
Thats the way they build them. The Cummins engine is lofing around at 325hp and 600ft/lbs of torque. It will turn out 750ft/lbs of torque in a heart beat. The engine is more capable than that, but for going down the road, Cummins chooses to keep it a step ahead of the competition, finally. If you think the rods are big, just think about the crankshaft size.

This is also a medium duty diesel. Dura whatever and power something are light duty engines. The Cummins is made for the long haul. 12V engines, In my opinion are far better than 24Valve engines and are true diesels. 24V engines like all the rest are subject to sensor failure and in the case of the 24V, the fuel
pump (lift pump) is not worth the time takes to change it.

So, I guess tell your pals, that if they want durability and not just a 3 to 5 year truck (engine) get a Cummins.

There is more than one millon plus mile 5.9B on the street.

Dave
My engine is 660 torque from the factory. Then I have the EZ on it.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Wetspirit
I love that picture of the rods side by side too.
With so much torque down at low RPM the rods have to be very strong and the Cummins seems to be built with a lot of headroom for power increases without breaking anything. But there's also another factor in the rod size. With the Chevy, Dodge, and Ford engines all about the same displacement, Dodge has only six rods to handle the horse power and the others have eight. Makes sense they'd be bigger even if they were built as light as possible. Sometimes the rod is set at an angle to fit through the bore. I don't know if the Cummins rod would fit through if it was straight.

Wetspirit
I would guess they would have to be at least 33% bigger/stronger but then I am not an engineer.