3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

48RE and Smarty Torque Management ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48RE and Smarty Torque Management ?'s

Recently i thought my tranny was on its way out, and it still may be. I am wondering how the Smarty and torque management work ? I notice when pulling even 4000 lbs if the engine is in O/D and i try and give it a little more gas it sometimes does not shift down and that is when i get my (i thought) so called tranny slip. The truck seems like its losing power and then the turbo wastgate seems like it opens and close rapidly when i let off the gas. When the truck is empty this does not happen. Could this be something to do with the torque management ? This occurs if i im on Sw3 Tm4 TQ4 with a small load say 2000-4000 lbs or on Sw 1 Tm4 TQ4 with a small load or a large load 15,000 lbs. This is with the tranny at normal operating temp. Maybe i will haul the same load and go back to the Stock setting and see what happens.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TM allows the engine to fuel more with less throttle and that confuses the ECU when it comes to dropping OD. You get a dead spot until the turbo spools and in OD it takes a bit longer before boost builds and the power comes on. Then, when you let off the fuel it drops the exhaust flow and barks the turbo.

Not much you can do other than advance the TV pressure as much as possible and make up for the change.

FYI, running that much TM on a stock trans is asking for trouble in both the direct clutch pack and the TC. The factory line pressures are not enough to hold the clutchs and it will slip and eat the clutches. Anything more than SW #2 and TM 2 is going to compromise the trans until you at least get a shift kit.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 AM

That there sir is the best info i have found thus far. I kind of figured it was something to do with the stock trans and Smarty. I think i am going to pull the pin and build my transmission regardless. Thanks for that info.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 PM

I was experiecing the same dilemma when I pulled my 8000lb TT on SW#3 default.
I now pull on SW1 default,with my Quad boost fooler. I drive with OD locked out in the city and do not allow the RPM's to drop under 1500. On the HWY I use the same scenario and manually shift for hills if necessary I don't floor the pedal but roll into and religiousely monitor my tranny temp. This seem to have fixed my tranny slipping issues. I just had my tranny serviced and adjusted and the shop said that everything was in spec (for now).

Oh 6 oh no is right, I know this is not a long term solution to this issue but it should help buy you some time.
I am also pricing out a single disk TC and VB combo.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 AM

There is a easy way of telling if your TC is failing. I know because mine just failed this week.

When you give it gas and it feels like you are trying to fight the truck to go forward. I kinda feels like you are riding around with the Emergency brake partially engaged.
I just had this happen to me, i was wondering why i was fighting my truck to move, at first i thought maybe a brake seized or something. But i coasted just fine. If your tranny shifts just fine but doesnt seem like you are putting power to the wheels, then your TC is slipping. With your TM on 4 with a stock tranny, you are probably killing your tranny
Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeap, your TC was slipping. I could slip mine going 60 MPH up a hill back when I had just a Quad box on level 1 towing. I bit the bullet and built it. Whenever it would slip I would back out of the throttle real quick so I didn't destroy it. Only other thing you could do is go to OD lockout and lock it up in 3rd. Even with my tranny I only use TM2 with my Smarty. You want the tranny to completely shift or else you will tear something up as you have found out.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 PM

When you guys are using the abbr TM you mean torque management not timing. Just want to make sure we are on the same page.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:52 PM

What version of the Jr. Software are you guys running?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:17 PM

Old 10-19-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, TM is Torque management. Timing I just say timing.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 AM

Thats what i thought. I just see some guys use TM and TQ.