3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Click, then dead, no start, but lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Click, then dead, no start, but lights

I have an '07 6.7 CTD with just over 108K miles. It's a stick. Late last night driving home from quick trip to close store I hear a click and then the engine dies. I got safely off the road. When I turn the key on all the dash lights come on except the grid light and there are no sounds like a starter solenoid. The engine doesn't try to start.

I had time waiting for the tow truck so I pulled every single fuse I could (all except the caged ones which I've never seen before). None were bad. I know most of the fuses wouldn't help but I had nothing else to do.

Early yesterday the engine light came on when I was running errands around town. This happens about every few months. A dealer told me long ago that it just means your fuel cap is lose. So I filled up the tank and made sure the cap was on tight. The light still came on.

I just read in another thread about an "INTERNAL Check of your ECM and PCM. To do that turn the key OFF then ON two times, but don't try to start the truck. Wait a second or so and watch your dash and be prepared to write down some code numbers." I tried this but didn't see any codes.

Any suggestions? The dealer won't be open for a couple of days and I could really use the pickup.

BTW the reason I don't have much of a post count here is that I've been very fortunate with my pickup and not had too many problems.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 AM

Checked the overhead display for messages. It only says Low Fuel, but the fuel light on the dash goes out and I just filled the tank about 10 miles ago. I also noticed that the elapsed time was reset and the Avg MPG has no value.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
To perform that test, you actually need to cycle the key on THREE times, ending in the "on" position. If there are any fault codes in the ECM it will display them in the odometer.

I am trying to think of a condition that would cause the engine to die, and also prevent the starter from cranking. Right now I am thinking of a main power feed or ground fault. Hopefully there's a fault in memory that might steer you in a direction.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:57 PM

If you heard a "pop" sound it might be a massive overload (for some reason?) that caused a fuseable link to go. Look for a heavy gauge wire that's got two ends just loose, might be a start in the right direction.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:12 PM

Start by having your batteries LOAD TESTED. Are they the originals? Rule them out before you start any other troubleshooting.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 PM

Batteries are fine. The problem turns out to be a $2400 ECM. How do you protect your ECM?