12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

click, click, click with the hammer down

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
click, click, click with the hammer down

hey guys, my truck makes a fast clicking sound while the skinny pedel is on the floor, but will only do so when it reaches third gear with the overdrive off, or fourth(overdrive). sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the engine, or maybe behind the engine/ under firewall? it will only do this while in the gear situations mentioned, and while under heavier acceleration. the local diesel shop wants a half an hours labor ($35 or so) just to ride with me and listen to it. i thought someone on here might be able to help me out. oh yeah, it got a lot louder when i installed my fuel plate today. does a torque converter evr make these noises?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:26 PM

if it's still stock, and you're being rough on it, i would at least pull the inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing and look to see if you've broken any lugs on the torque converter (lugs are the nuts welded to the front plate of the t/c for the bolts) could also possibly be the flexplate has cracked, i don't know how often those are known to go out though.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:36 PM

i would say it is a broken or cracked fly wheel i have had a few of those crack on gas engines and they would sound almost like a exhaust leak but more defined hope this helps
Old 12-15-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The lift pump on the 12v is known to make clicking sounds when worn. Sounds like yours is trying to keep up now that you have a better plate installed.

Flex plate can crack if your hard on it, but it will usually start making a noise as soon as you put it in gear, Check the tranny bolts to the adapter plate to see if they are loose (just in case).
Old 12-15-2006, 06:51 PM

this truck was a one-owner truck until i bought it. one of the only things that the p/o had done was put a new lift pump in it. i don't know how long ago though. i guess i will check the torque conv., flex plate, and such tommorow. i wonder if it is the lift pump, if puttting the starwheel back to somewhere near the stock setting would do anythnig for this noise?
Old 12-15-2006, 06:56 PM

the gears i mentioned earlier do seem to be when it is fueling the hardest, or at least when the black ghost likes to appear. maybe it is the lift pump.... any good way to test it? i can't ride in the engine bay and listen to things while driving in those gears, athough i haven't ever tryed. as for breaking a trq. converter lug, this noise was present before i had muck over stock HP., although i can't remember if it did it before i fiddled with the starwheel or not.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One other thing is the exhaust manifold may be leaking from a bad gasket or from a crack. More fuel=more heat and pressure for it to leak.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing. I think it is the boost popoff valve opening and closing. I pulled the hose off of mine and activated the mechanism fast with a pressurized source and duplicated the sound. If you do this, use less than 25psi. I satisfied my curiosity and I am suprised that noone else suggested this.
Chris
Old 12-16-2006, 09:55 AM

My truck has a boost fooler on it that will get the pressure up to about 34 PSI, but the clatter starts around 28-30. The boost will not go above 35 though, so I figure that the boost fooler and the pop off valve are just creating a rise and fall of pressure until the valve is finally opened.
Chris
Old 12-16-2006, 05:58 PM

alright, i checked the torq. conveter bolts, they were all ok, and i couldn't see and damage to the flywheel. re-torqued the dampener. checked for exaust leaks, and re-torqued exhaust manifold. didn't help anything, though. tommorow i gues i will check the turbo pop of valve? i guess by that he meant the wastegate?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:16 PM

yea the wastegate, couldn't think of the technical term.
Chris
Old 12-16-2006, 09:31 PM

alright, yeah. what did you do hook an air compressor up to it? blow some air in the wastegate and see if it makes that noise? what if it does? what does that mean?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:36 AM

It was the linkage at the wastegate that made the clanging when I put a little air pressure on it. It is just the metallic wastegate clicking on mine. I don't think it is a problem. Make sure you don't go too high on the pressure. You are likely to blow the diaphragm out if you do.
Disconnect the rubber hose and reduce your pressure on the regulator to around 15 psi and then slowly go up until it opens the wastegate. Then if you open and close it real quick you will probably here that same noise.
Chris
Old 12-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Banned

If the fuel filter is dirty the LP will make a ticking noise as well!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:50 PM

i just changed the fuel filter a week or two ago. the sound is definatly from the passenger side of the engine. i have to work all week, so i won't be able to play around more until the weekend

Quick Reply: click, click, click with the hammer down