3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Auto Transmission Issue-

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Transmission Issue-

My 2004 Dodge Ram (HO Cummins and auto transmission) developed the following syndrome after the first scheduled transmission fluid change. When the engine is started for the first time in the morning (after being parked overnight or for several days) the truck will not drive forward (or reverse) for about two to three minutes or so. Put it in gear, push throttle pedal and nothing happens--won't go. On subsequent startups during the day this does not occur. It acts like an old hydrostatic transmission tractor that has a weak hydraulic pump and doesn't generate adequate hydraulic pressure. The worst part of the problem is that if it is someone other than myself using the truck for the first time in the a.m., they start up and they want to go NOW, so they rev the devil out of the cold engine to get some forward momentum going. When I reported this phenomenon to the dealer, they said that "they all do that", but it did not do it before the transmission fluid was changed. Any ideas?
Old 08-01-2008, 03:15 AM

I'm not sure of the permanent fix but I believe it has something to do with a valve body adjustment. A temporary fix is to start the truck and immediately put it in neutral to get your fluid circulating quicker. I had to do this many times back in the old days.....
Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The converter is draining back to the pan when it sits for long times.
Normal caracteristic for all dodge rearwheel drive with mileage on them.
The trans doesn't pump in park with a stock VB. A mod is available to have it pump in park. I recomend you buy a valvebody that is modified to do this.
Or you can simply start it, shift to neutral for 30 seconds, then drive it away.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jmikeska
When I reported this phenomenon to the dealer, they said that "they all do that", but it did not do it before the transmission fluid was changed. Any ideas?
Any chance the filter o-ring is not installed properly ? I assumed you refilled with the proper type fluid and it's at the proper level ?

Greg
Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 AM

Had me concerned until I noticed its an old trans. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 AM

As I stated in my initial post. The truck began having this problem immediately after having the transmission fluid changed at the first recommended interval, I think around 30,000 miles. It did not have the problem before. It was not an old transmission at the time the problem started.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 AM

Here's my .02, Who did your trans. service?? It sounds like you only have 30,000 miles on it??? It was fine before, now that it's been serviced, I'd take it to another shop and have it checked. Something is not right. Do it quick before to much time passes by and more damage(???) is done. After it 'warms up', it shifts correctly??
Old 08-01-2008, 11:11 AM

The local Dodge dealer service department did the fluid change, and when I reported the problem that said that "it is normal, they all do it".
Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 AM

I'd take it another dealership and tell them it the problem (leaving out that the 1st dealership did the service) and see what they say. To me this doesn't sound right.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:29 PM

Actually, you should take it back to the dealer that just did the service and demand that they check the installation of the filter. They may have knocked something loose or out of adjustment or just installed the filter incorrectly. It IS possible. If your truck was not doing this before, and it indeed only has around 30,000 miles, then your issue definitely stems from something they did.

I have known many people that swore they would never change trans fluids no matter how many miles on the trans, unless they were having problems, because the detergent qualities of the new fluid may cause new problems...
Old 08-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

They're blowing smoke (the dealer). It's still under warranty and even if you have a chip on it, they can't blame it as the problem.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:22 PM

Not normal on your year model.Eaither drain back valve or filter not correctly seated or juist low fliud.2 or 3 mintues?? 2 or 3 seconds is more considered normal. I have rremoved the drainback valve in my 1998 1500 and I start it in neutral.Its takes two or three seconds before I drop it in reverse or drive.Usually service the trans causes no issues.Thousands are done daily.