3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7l REALLY THAT BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hemi6677
So from what I have read, a 6.7 is better off if being used hard everyday where as a 5.9 is better for more of a daily driver? I haul on occasion with my 5.9 but mainly run highway miles not pulling anything and have wondered if that would be enough work on the truck to keep it running properly. Would I be looking at more issues buying a 6.7 if I'm not stretching it's legs all the time?
With all the emissions equipment on them, they prefer to be worked hard, rather than just putter around town. However, if you get rid of that, I've been told they are completely fine just running around town.

Most people love their 6.7's. Sure there will be lemons, as there was with the VE 12 valve's, the P Pumped 12 Valves and so on.

The guys on here who actually own 6.7's are the ones I would listen to, not the ones who "have buddies" or whatever that has one in the shop all the time.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by '91 1st Gen
With all the emissions equipment on them, they prefer to be worked hard, rather than just putter around town. However, if you get rid of that, I've been told they are completely fine just running around town.

Most people love their 6.7's. Sure there will be lemons, as there was with the VE 12 valve's, the P Pumped 12 Valves and so on.

The guys on here who actually own 6.7's are the ones I would listen to, not the ones who "have buddies" or whatever that has one in the shop all the time.
Well hot dang.... Give the man a Beer, he must be a carpenter, cause he sure hit the nail on the head.

You know, my cousins brothers sisters brother in laws neigbors college room mate had a 5.9 that was just pure junk. It wouldnt do nothing right, I think he got a 6.7 and loved it cause he never had any trouble with it.

I love my 6.7, It IS great, even better if you can get rid of stuff. I also love my 12v, heck I love anything that has that "C" on it, we all do.... and cant we all just get along!

Im done preaching.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by JasonblkZ06
If you think Dodge had or has anything to do with this, you have no idea. Yes they make the trucks but it was forced upon them.
Dodge chose it way to meet the emissions, the way it got there was it's own doing.

It's not a ship off my shoulder if you or anyone else buys a 6.7. I will sit here in my 5.9 laughing, and not worrying about if the truck will start tomorrow, like I have to with the 6.7, and wondering if today it's going to die on the highway again, and maybe not restart. But i'm hoping the next time it does that it "accidently" catches on fire

I drive a 6.7 and my 5.9 on a daily basis, I know exactly what both of them are about. And like I said before, if you get in your truck drive it, put diesel in and nothing else you'll probably like the 6.7 more, but that is an EXTREMLY limited prespective.

Go buy one if you really want, just better be hoping and preying you get a good one, and that you trust how the emissions equipment was designed is going to stand up over the long run. Because if history has said anything, Dodge is not good with electronics, and that is pretty scary.

(Post edited by admin because the poster obviously didn't read the rules of this site)
Old 06-27-2009, 10:49 PM

Hey Macho. If you think that Dodge has problems with the emissions equipment they use to meet the federally mandated requirements, go look at the web sites for the other brands. Ford has had so many problems with the 6.4 Powerstroke that they are going to a completely new in house built engine either next year or the year after. The Duramax is certainly no better than the Cummins and probably has more problems. I doubt that any of these companies choose to put on equipment that is going to cost them millions of dollars in warranty coverage, but they can't sell their trucks if they don't meet EPA standards.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:58 AM

I was going to say, if you want a real piece of junk, get a Ford diesel. All their diesels since the 7.3 PowerStroke have been JUNK.

I'm glad they're getting the 6.7 lined out. I may get another one some day, but I'm sticking with my 5.9 for now. It's pulled everything I've ever hitched to it with ease. Yeah, it blows some black smoke when I get on it, but I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes black smoke. I like to smoke out a Toyota Prius every once in a while. I hated that I couldn't get my 6.7 to blow any smoke.

I would rather clean the black smoke off my fenders and my trailers than clean it out of my engine though.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by LeonT
I was going to say, if you want a real piece of junk, get a Ford diesel. All their diesels since the 7.3 PowerStroke have been JUNK.

I'm glad they're getting the 6.7 lined out. I may get another one some day, but I'm sticking with my 5.9 for now. It's pulled everything I've ever hitched to it with ease. Yeah, it blows some black smoke when I get on it, but I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes black smoke. I like to smoke out a Toyota Prius every once in a while. I hated that I couldn't get my 6.7 to blow any smoke.

I would rather clean the black smoke off my fenders and my trailers than clean it out of my engine though.
Actually, the 6.7 will blow a bit, it just takes a lot more to do so. And yes, a lot of that black smoke is going into the turbo, then of course the oil, which isn't good.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mocho
Anything can be looked at wrong, or in another way then it was intended. My point is that many people believe opinion as fact, and confuse the two heavily.
Glad your hear to decipher it all for us with your opinion
Dodge has been failing, 24v, CR, now 6.7, everything is a step in the wrong direction. Besides for the emissions, they put a bunch of crap on the engine. They didn't have to use a DPF and all this crap, THEY came up with that to meet the emissions.
Wrong. Just dead wrong. EVERY diesel pickup sold after 1 Jan 2007 has a DPF. Cummins didn't invent them or the need for them. This is an area quite obviously beyond your realm of expertise or experience. I suggest your read up a bit to better inform your commentary.

Yea a 5.9 would be just as big POS if it had all that crap on it for sure. That is the main reason why the 6.7 is so bad. There are two very different types of owners, and one type i'm sure loves the 6.7. Because they only keep the truck for a couple years and it's on warranty, put diesel in it and that's about it, and for the most part never work on it. So who cares how dumb stuff is designed? Not that the engine is the only thing done stupid.
So-- please explain how YOU would have done things differently to correct the "dumb" design. How would YOU have removed the soot from the exhaust? How would YOU get engine NOx to 0.2 g/hp/hr? How would YOU get NMHC to hit levels? If that alphabet soup is something you don't recognize, then it just shows you have more reading to do.

Then there's people like me, who will have the same truck for 10-15 years, who have to work on it, and look at replacing things and the 6.7 is a knightmare.
Actually, this is a "knightmare":

There is a reason the techs who work at places like Cummins, or the very rare dealer with a diesel mechanic, and been around them for a long time won't go close to them, almost all of them around here drive a 1st or 2nd gen.

Back to the point, if you only want the 6.7 for a year or two just to trade in, go for it, take the gamble it is one that works. But keeping it for a long time is a gamble, and probably not a good one.

You make valid points about them being a pain to work on, and in the long run it's tougher to deal with. In the end, it will level out, though. At first, everyone hated the "electronic" cars with OBD and all that. Now everyone's used to fault codes and sensor replacement and such.

I prefer simplicity and I think we've gone to far in forcing our engines to be clean (thanks EPA). But that doesn't make the current 6.7L engine junk-- nor does your pronouncement of the same.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=HOHN;2514507]Glad your hear to decipher it all for us with your opinion

You make valid points about them being a pain to work on, and in the long run it's tougher to deal with.

We should be thankful that they don't have to pull the cab off the truck every time the engine needs work like one brand.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:32 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
Actually, this is a "knightmare":

Thank You, Mr Hohn, Thank you,

Now Im off to find a roll of paper towels and some Windex to clean off the sticky coffee I just spurted onto my computer screen.

What a way to start a Monday morning, but after reading your most enjoyable post, well worth it.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 PM

i have test drove 2 different 6.7L with the 6 speed tranny and they are very very nice and seem to get the power to the ground. i have heard that if u remove all the emissions stuff and buy a programmer that there is an increase in fuel mileage, but to be perfectly honest with u i love my 5.9 that gets decent mileage, has great power, pretty much bulletproof just need to build that tranny and will be set to go for awhile. i will eventually have to replace my current truck but i think i will wait for awhile to do that since i am happy with my setup now.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've owned three Dodges, all with Cummins engines. I traded in my '03 for my '08 and got such a sweet deal that it cost me less than my '06 does. While I loved my '03 and it was strong, I knew the weak point for it was the auto tranny and I needed something to tow a 26 foot toy hauler. I couldn't see spending the money on an upgraded tranny for a 5 year old vehicle when I could trade it in and get what I wanted.

So last year my dealer was having a huge sale and I took advantage of it, and got roughly half off with the the trade-in, incentives, and owner loyalty rebates .... and I even had them throw in an airbag suspension and full length step bars for that price.

Right now my '08 has a little over 3,000 miles on it and it runs like a champ. I drove it from Boise, ID to Idaho Falls, ID for a Titan Fuel Tank. Hand calculated mileage was a shade over 15 MPG for a 750 mile round trip run with cruise control set at 75 MPH.

I did find that it likes to be run hard, as it pulled my 26 foot RV/toy hauler down the road easier and faster than my '03 could with help from a hurricane tailwind. Mileage dropped to 11 - 12 MPG for the 60 miles I towed it, and while it sits really high its dry weight is around 6700 to 6800 pounds.

My advice is look at the 6.7L Cummins, but look at the pre-03/2009 engines so they don't have the ECM lockout ..... at least until someone finds a way to bypass that problem.

Kris
Old 09-15-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by walks
Thanks guys for all your opinions. I think I am going to go with a 6.7. Every truck has its problems. I have a few friends with 06 dodge's and they have been in the shop countless times as well. All trucks have their quarks and you just have to work through them and enjoy your truck. Hopefully I can sell my truck soon and drive home in a new one. Can't wait. Thanks again for all your input guys.
My 06 has been in for a window adjustment, and brakes. That's it!
I do like the 6.7L as well but I want to wear out my 5.9L first!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:18 PM

I really miss my 2003 5.9 and 2005 5.9. My current 2007 6.7 has been in and out of service over the past 26,000 miles. But at 27,000 mile it received a new turbo, (under warranty). I like the performance, but not worth going to the dealership every few months for repairs. And my truck is 100% stock...
Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 PM

Making the same decision right now myself. Great post and thanks for everyone's input. Test driving the 6.7 with the auto trans. is impressive.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Well, i actually just bought mine last week, I kept going back and forth with the negative comments and the positive, i test drove a few and over all it is a very nice. I bought mine and am not looking back. I love it. It is ten times the truck my old one is and i am thankful i chose to go with a 6.7. Thanks for everyones input! I am enjoying the heck out of it!

Quick Reply: 6.7l REALLY THAT BAD?