3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7l REALLY THAT BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by crgcrg
I greatly enjoy this list and like most am very great full for the knowledgeable users here and their willingness to share their experiences. But I have to apply the age old rule of owner feedback though that undermines otherwise invaluable guides such as consumer reports. It's a simple fact that if out of a thousand products 30 are flawed, you will read from all 30 very upset owners and likely less than 20 of the other 970. I, like most, quietly drive my bone stock 6.7 marveling at the many superior features to any other truck I've owned. I don't bother coming on here ranting about zero problems or how the emissions are a sign of the changing times and working unnoticeable in the background as I am one of the 950.
It's been said many times before on this list that a prospective new owner should take the many concerns of the very few in perspective. These are excellent trucks.
Excellent post, and I agree.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mocho
Flat out, Dodge has gotten lazy and it shows badly, the Cummins is a great motor but Dodge stuffs garbage on it.
Our wonderful government (ie EPA) is responsible for the "garbage" that is on a 6.7L today. The EPA determines the air quality standards to keep us safe.

Stuff the same "garbage" on a 5.9L and it would most likely be a "turd" in your eyes, too.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The 5.9 was and is the standard to which all other diesels should be compared. Personally I have a sweet spot for 1st gens and a great fondness for the 24v (CR's sound goofy but I still love them too.)

Comparing, stock for stock, the 6.7 is a formidable competitor. Now reliability still stands to be determined, but there have been several examples of high milage 6.7 with no signs of slowing. I do however feel I must note that if the emmisions crap can be taken off then you will have a lot better experience. I personally wrote off my dealer and the EPA about 16000 miles ago and couldnt be happier. My truck has never ran better, and unloaded highway milage has crept up to 20.1 mpg when driving like a person with sense, and yes thats hand calculated. It pulls like a dream and at times idles for 12-13 hrs periods with no issues. It runs dang strong too with the EJA turned up, would like a tranny upgrade but in due time'

All in all I would have to agree with gsbrockman. An example from personal experience: first Dell computer I ever owned was a complete turd. Just horrible, they replaced it with an identical model and it worked well for 5 years, bought 5 more since then, all have been fine units.

Sweeping generalities are always biased.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because of a wreck,auto type, I lost my 03 and now own a 09. It is quiteiter, like the 6 speed and the EB. Mileage is about the same as I reminber at the same mileage. The only thing I didnot like about it was the local dealer,not who I bought from. P.S. didnot buy from it,local crook,big deater network. Lot more toys,things to go wrong,learn to work.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It is far from 50 out of 1000 with problems. It is an extremly high rate, compared to any other changes. There is a reason EVERY diesel head says the 5.9 was the end of the real diesels. Heck, the 12v, was the end of the best diesels. Give it 10 years and see how the emissions is standing up, because it won't. Time has told countless times before, plastic stuff jammed in makes it off warranty and that's about it. Almost everyone has CEL problems, that alone is a huge problem. Who the heck wants a truck that has it on all the time? There is absolutely no reason for it.
Seems a bit like someone is stuck in the past here. I think people get it about the early 6.7 and wish that certain items were not added and others not changed. However, overall things do improve and change. So is the case with the 6.7. Yes, it took a dump for a while just like our stocks have, but is on the rebound.

Certain conditions are no reason to complete discount something, overall there is improvement.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 PM
8bm

I own both a 5.9 and a 6.7. Both in totally stock form (power ). Hear are some of my observations:

-6.7 quite a bit thirstier (doesn't matter if you tow heavy)
-68rfe auto is much better than 48re auto.
-6.7 is quieter even when working hard.
-5.9 more forgiving for light load, long idle times, 6.7 needs to work hard
-6.7 doesn't smoke......ever. Kind of nice not sooting up your travel trailer.

I don't think you'll regret the change. As much as I like my 5.9, i like my 6.7 better.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's great that that is YOUR opinion. I am not afraid to speak the truth, good nor bad. I don't speak my opinion I speak the truth.
Wow, bold statement. You don't think what YOU say is YOUR opinion?

You only speak truth?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by 13ALPHA
Wow, bold statement. You don't think what YOU say is YOUR opinion?

You only speak truth?
Anything can be looked at wrong, or in another way then it was intended. My point is that many people believe opinion as fact, and confuse the two heavily.

Dodge has been failing, 24v, CR, now 6.7, everything is a step in the wrong direction. Besides for the emissions, they put a bunch of crap on the engine. They didn't have to use a DPF and all this crap, THEY came up with that to meet the emissions. Yea a 5.9 would be just as big POS if it had all that crap on it for sure. That is the main reason why the 6.7 is so bad. There are two very different types of owners, and one type i'm sure loves the 6.7. Because they only keep the truck for a couple years and it's on warranty, put diesel in it and that's about it, and for the most part never work on it. So who cares how dumb stuff is designed? Not that the engine is the only thing done stupid.

Then there's people like me, who will have the same truck for 10-15 years, who have to work on it, and look at replacing things and the 6.7 is a knightmare. There is a reason the techs who work at places like Cummins, or the very rare dealer with a diesel mechanic, and been around them for a long time won't go close to them, almost all of them around here drive a 1st or 2nd gen.

Back to the point, if you only want the 6.7 for a year or two just to trade in, go for it, take the gamble it is one that works. But keeping it for a long time is a gamble, and probably not a good one.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
Seems a bit like someone is stuck in the past here. I think people get it about the early 6.7 and wish that certain items were not added and others not changed. However, overall things do improve and change. So is the case with the 6.7. Yes, it took a dump for a while just like our stocks have, but is on the rebound.

Certain conditions are no reason to complete discount something, overall there is improvement.
Please me tell what Dodge has done in the last 15 years to improve the diesels? Less torque ratio, less MPG, less relieable, harder to work on, more expensive to fix. Sure they have a nicer interior and other stuff, but that is nothing to do with improving the diesel. The one and only thing I can think of is exhaust brake, but not hard to put on any other truck. The 12v is the best motor Dodge has EVER had in their pickup, that is plain fact, there is nothing to debate about that.

There is a reason most real Cummins mechanics who have been around for a long time don't drive 6.7's, they drive 12v or 24v. They know what a knightmare the new diesels are and want no part of it.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:20 PM
8bm

I think it's important to remember that certain components or software items can give the illusion of everything being a piece of crap. Case in point: vp44 injector pump. Not a bad fuel pump, but if the lift pump went south (& many did) the vp44 would starve and slowly die. many people just thought the vp44 was to blame. Not so.
The 6.7 isn't a Dodge creation, it's a Cummins creation to meet emission laws. As for torque? Dyno a STOCK pre '98 and a new 6.7. BIG DIFFERENCE!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
The 12v is the best motor Dodge has EVER had in their pickup, that is plain fact, there is nothing to debate about that.
I'd be open to debate how many 12V's were taken out by KDP's, but seeing as how you're supposedly so "all knowing", I'll not bring up that piece of information.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:01 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gsbrockman
I'd be open to debate how many 12V's were taken out by KDP's, but seeing as how you're supposedly so "all knowing", I'll not bring up that piece of information.
DOH! Owned
Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 PM

lol.... I own both a 5.9 and a 6.7 and I much prefer to drive my 6.7. Its stock power is awesome....... even with the emisions junk on it. I went ahead and gave up my 5.9 to my 16 y/o daughter.......
Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 PM

oh yeah, I have 1500 miles now on the truck and got 18.5 mpg on a tank driving from SA to corpus back to SA here in south texas....... not bad for a low mileage truck...... my 5.9 gets about that mileage but has 80k+ on it...
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by gsbrockman
It won't be long before the 6.7 has it's own KDP, 51 block, lift pump, problem of it's own, just going to be a lot worse. Except for the fact the KDP is a very simple fix.

Just wait, maybe the 6.7 will be turbo i'm guessing. Or maybe Dodge will claim turbo replacement is regular maintaince now Or is it now good that soot goes into the turbo and oil? Maybe people have fact and evidence that this reduces turbo AND engine life

I guess reading comprehension is a lot art. I said torque RATIO, which means, the 6.7 is only rougly 2, while the 12v is 3. Pretty sure 3 to 1> 2 to 1.

Don't mind me, just trying to stop people from making a potentialy huge mistake. Must be good reason for many people buying a 6.7 to only sell it and go back to 5.9.

Quick Reply: 6.7l REALLY THAT BAD?