3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7l REALLY THAT BAD?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its called a production truck that needs to meet emissions !!!!!! I have had all the above 12-24 valve....... My 07 pulls my 40 ft toy hauler better than all the rest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Mocho, you aren't comparing apples to apples. You seem to have Dodge/Cummins on a decline since their first motor. Why not just go back and compare it to a tractor? Come on, 6 speed auto, exhaust break, 350 HP - 650 TQ, nice inside, nice inside. I think you might need more than reading comprehension as the good certainly outweighs the bad when compared to the older trucks. Just as the vehicles are getting smarter, so do the people who own and use them. No big deal there for most...
Old 06-18-2009, 08:11 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mocho
It won't be long before the 6.7 has it's own KDP, 51 block, lift pump, problem of it's own, just going to be a lot worse.
Just wait, maybe the 6.7 will be turbo i'm guessing.
Good deal; I see you removed ye olde crystal ball from your anus and properly removed the poo with some Windex. Glad you can see the future !

I guess reading comprehension is a lot art. I said torque RATIO, which means, the 6.7 is only rougly 2, while the 12v is 3. Pretty sure 3 to 1> 2 to 1. Don't mind me, just trying to stop people from making a potentialy huge mistake.
I never questioned your torque ratio scenario; I guess you still find it hard to believe any forward thinking with today's diesel engines in respect to horsepower & torque output and fuel consumption. As far as "trying to stop people from making a potentialy huge mistake", I think I can safely speak for most when I state we're all big boys and girls (we're old enough to sign buyer's orders and enter into loan contracts with banks) so enough of the unfriendly neighborhood monitoring.

Whatever.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by gsbrockman
I'd be open to debate how many 12V's were taken out by KDP's,
Yep, really difficult to place a metal tab over a pin...... wish it could be as simple as plugging a 5,000 dollar piece of electrical equipment in to find out what is going on with the space shuttle..........

Sorry, couldn't resist.

To each his own, I would never throw rocks at the 6.7, because if our 12Valves had to be certified in today's emission climate, none of us would ever know and love our B's.

Now, everyone stop this carping and get out there and give your B a hug........
Old 06-18-2009, 11:23 AM

Daily drive a 12V Only made it about 275k miles. Junk! Only had a headgasket, injectors, 2 turbos, 2 clutches, and an injection pump installed in the last 50k miles. All for 16.5 MPG in town and 19.5MPG on the interstate. Or 1 MPG intown better than my common rail motor with a reflash,a clutch, fuel pump, and a door seal gasket in the past 83k miles. I bought a 6.7 for the long haul and hate to tell ya this but the 04.5 is definatly the biggest pain of them all as far as the engine is concerned. The 08 gets the worst MPG empty but hey what do I expect from 4.44 gears. Maybe one of these days I will run the valves, that usualy is worth 1.5 MPG in itself. Best bet is throw out these diesels and get an inline 6 gasser that put out 110 HP like big rigs ran for years. Still see them on the road from time to time. No emission problems or turbos to deal with. Progress is a beaughtiful thing
Old 06-18-2009, 12:18 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Answer to the question:

NO! The 6.7 is not really that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go get yourself one for a good deal and be HAPPY.

Thank you.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robert chilton
Daily drive a 12V Only made it about 275k miles. Junk! Only had a headgasket, injectors, 2 turbos, 2 clutches, and an injection pump installed in the last 50k miles. All for 16.5 MPG in town and 19.5MPG on the interstate. Or 1 MPG intown better than my common rail motor with a reflash,a clutch, fuel pump, and a door seal gasket in the past 83k miles. I bought a 6.7 for the long haul and hate to tell ya this but the 04.5 is definatly the biggest pain of them all as far as the engine is concerned. The 08 gets the worst MPG empty but hey what do I expect from 4.44 gears. Maybe one of these days I will run the valves, that usualy is worth 1.5 MPG in itself. Best bet is throw out these diesels and get an inline 6 gasser that put out 110 HP like big rigs ran for years. Still see them on the road from time to time. No emission problems or turbos to deal with. Progress is a beaughtiful thing
Golen makes a sweet I6:
4.6L / 260hp Long Block

Peak Horsepower: 260 bhp @ 5000 rpm
Peak Torque: 295 lb/ft @ 4000 rpm
Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 AM

Thanks guys for all your opinions. I think I am going to go with a 6.7. Every truck has its problems. I have a few friends with 06 dodge's and they have been in the shop countless times as well. All trucks have their quarks and you just have to work through them and enjoy your truck. Hopefully I can sell my truck soon and drive home in a new one. Can't wait. Thanks again for all your input guys.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
From what I have read ( and applying to all brands of CR diesels ), a huge factor in keeping them alive is finely filtered fuel.

If I bought a CR truck, I would seriously look at the aftermarket 2 micron filtration setups.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:27 PM

iv'e owned both.both were good truck's.i just returned from my first trip out with a 4 thousand lb camper in the mountains of the n.w.i'm not talking about no midwest flatlander stuff.the 6.7 stock is a beast.the 6 speed auto with tow haul mode working along with the exhaust brake almost eliminates the need to use the brake's.up hill or down it exceeded my expectation's.it's mile's ahead of the 5.9 technolgy that was available.it's more than just the motor that seperate's these two truck's.the tranny,exhaust brake and interior comfort's are better than were available on my 5.9.and it should be .that's technolgy advancement.for what it's worth i work with a guy that has a 5.9 that starts some day's and doesn't other's it's been in the shop off in on for month's.you can have bad expeirence's with either.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 AM

i have a 5.9 and a 6.7 my six seven has 21,000mi on it i wouldnt trade it for the world, no mods and i haul hay,horses, and a camper.it does really well,mileage up around 20mpg on hwy,16 or a little less when loaded.had a few issues when it was new but dodge updated the system and no probs in almost a year,oh yea go buy one you wont regret it.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Wow, this sure turned out to be a pissin' match Like some have already stated, sure there have been issues with the 6.7, but seems like those things are being worked out and more guys are happy with 'em than aren't. My 12v has been flawless, but I'm looking forward to getting a 6.7. I only regret not being able to get into one right now; can get a sweet deal on a new 3500 QC C&C here at the local dealer. In my case, I know the lead diesel mechanic at the dealership and he'll do work on the side so I'm not worried.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Blake gave me an "A" for effort!

So from what I have read, a 6.7 is better off if being used hard everyday where as a 5.9 is better for more of a daily driver? I haul on occasion with my 5.9 but mainly run highway miles not pulling anything and have wondered if that would be enough work on the truck to keep it running properly. Would I be looking at more issues buying a 6.7 if I'm not stretching it's legs all the time?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by crgcrg
I greatly enjoy this list and like most am very great full for the knowledgeable users here and their willingness to share their experiences. But I have to apply the age old rule of owner feedback though that undermines otherwise invaluable guides such as consumer reports. It's a simple fact that if out of a thousand products 30 are flawed, you will read from all 30 very upset owners and likely less than 20 of the other 970. I, like most, quietly drive my bone stock 6.7 marveling at the many superior features to any other truck I've owned. I don't bother coming on here ranting about zero problems or how the emissions are a sign of the changing times and working unnoticeable in the background as I am one of the 950.
It's been said many times before on this list that a prospective new owner should take the many concerns of the very few in perspective. These are excellent trucks.
X2 !!!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 PM

That's great that that is YOUR opinion. I am not afraid to speak the truth, good nor bad. I don't speak my opinion I speak the truth. Really don't care if some people don't like it. Met plenty of people in real life off some of these forums and had no problems

It is far from 50 out of 1000 with problems. It is an extremly high rate, compared to any other changes. There is a reason EVERY diesel head says the 5.9 was the end of the real diesels. Heck, the 12v, was the end of the best diesels. Give it 10 years and see how the emissions is standing up, because it won't. Time has told countless times before, plastic stuff jammed in makes it off warranty and that's about it. Almost everyone has CEL problems, that alone is a huge problem. Who the heck wants a truck that has it on all the time? There is absolutely no reason for it.

Flat out, Dodge has gotten lazy and it shows badly, the Cummins is a great motor but Dodge stuffs garbage on it.

It's great that many people love it, yea my dads likes his the 2% of the time it's working. But that doesn't change the fact that the 6.7 is a joke, ANYONE who keeps their diesels for a while and has been around them for a long time, and has worked on them, HATES them, and for good reason. Dealers refusing to work on them isn't for no good reason, they are sick of the crap they stuff on them.
If you think Dodge had or has anything to do with this, you have no idea. Yes they make the trucks but it was forced upon them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.7l REALLY THAT BAD?