3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 vs. 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MajikMD
...Anyways, I would never bash anyone with a 6.7, or sit here and preach that "I'm gonna smoke your 6.7...", just thought I'd point out why I liked the 5.9 better. Either way, the Dodge is the right choice...
Cummins is the right choice - you just have to get it in a Dodge wrapper.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:02 PM
tcr

Guys, where is all of this "bashing of the 6.7L", I see alot of un-warranted defending that isn't needed, it looks more like reassurance that you made the right decisions IMO. I do see posts like:

Yes it have a VGT, but guess what, ITS BIGGER THEN YOURS!!!!! and

"I know 3 people that would say the 5.9 is the crappiest motor ever, all 3 blew motors with under 10000 miles."

There's more, but my point is made. I drove a 6.7L for a couple thousand miles and I manage a company w/ a fleet of over 300 trucks w/ a few 6.7Ls that I drive all the time. I see alot of time behind the wheels of 6.7Ls, but because I don't "own" one, alot of you 6.7L "owners" make me feel like I can't even have an opinion in this thread. That my friends is BS and a good reason why one would want to avoid your 6.7L posts/threads. JMO
Old 12-05-2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by MajikMD
Hey guys - new to the forums, but not to diesels...guess I'll throw my $.02 into the pot -->
I did ALOT of research, ALOT of test drives in both the 2007 5.9L and the 2007.5 6.7L.

I just 2 months ago went out and specifically bought a left over, new 2007 5.9L for several reasons.

1. aftermarket - the 5.9 has been around forever, parts are everywhere, and fun stuff for them is everywhere
2. less complicated - I pulled 2 identical trucks side by side and popped the hoods the day I bought the 5.9L. The engine compartment on the 6.7 is absolutely PACKED with extra sensors, the new EGR system, and bunches of emissions crap. The exhaust from the turbo back is equally as complicated - multiple pressure sensors, temperature sensors, oxygen sensors...

A few more examples of complication:
--the new variable geometry turbo - great idea, but if you like to mod, think about how to install an aftermarket turbo when the ECU in the truck on the 6.7 CONTROLS the turbo. That hitch will be tough to overcome. I know that the 5.9 late models have an electronic wastegate, but that is a much simpler mechanism - the computer tells it to open when boost hits a certain point. Period. The variable geom turbo, from what I've read, needs input from 8 different sensors just to operate correctly. I doubt, for example, Aurora is going to make a var geom aftermarket turbo that talks to your Dodge ECU to work properly.

--the DPF (particulate filter) in the exhaust - I know...they are all going to it, but IMO, the system is so complicated, and is already failing so early, that it's kinda scary. The backpressure is 3 TIMES what it is on a stock 5.9L, and that's when the DPF is working well and is empty!

OK, I'll stop ranting. All 3 companies are having to make diesels this way now. The V-8 diesels are even more unbearable in the engine compartment. I'm sure they will work fine eventually, but if you like to mod or customize engine-wise, I think the 6.7 is going to just be a headache. My advice - get a left-over new 5.9L before they're gone and treasure it!!
No doubt the 5.9 is much easier to upgrade right now. It may be some time before anyone gets the upgrades right for the 6.7. I hear people talking about the performance mod available from HS Performance. I'll just say IMHO be careful and read ALL of the other forums before you buy. A lot of people have bought that system, are having troubles with it, and at least so far HS isn't providing very good customer support.

The reason it took 20 years for the OEM's to fix their performance issues on emissions compliant vehicles is because it took them 20 years to go to fuel injection and computer control of the engines. I think the time frame for seeing improvements on the current generation of low emission diesels will be much shorter since were already using common rail injection and PCM's.

As far as the VGT, that was a real concern of mine when deciding whether to buy a Dodge. I had a horrible experience with a Ford 6.0 and their excuse for a VGT turbo. In the end I decided to take the chance since it was a Cummins design, totally different than Ford's design, and included the new exhaust brake. So far so good. And FYI Aurora does make a non-VGT turbo as a replacement for the Ford VGT unit. It includes the electronics so the PCM thinks you still have a VGT and doesn't set codes. I'm sure they'll come up with a performance equivalent for the 6.7 too eventually.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MtnTrucker

The reason it took 20 years for the OEM's to fix their performance issues on emissions compliant vehicles is because it took them 20 years to go to fuel injection and computer control of the engines.
This brings back memories of the fuelies...or fuel injected cars of the late 50's and early 60's as well as my old Buick ...a 1976 that you could see on the dash with the right amount of sunlight...air bags. Then theres my friend that bought a 67 Camaro GM program car with the radar detector and the fold down back seat for skis. Perhaps some of this stuff was just too far ahead of its time and now is the time.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:39 PM

You mean you had airbags in 1976 ?
Old 12-05-2007, 04:00 PM

I'm so tripped out about what I've read about the 6.7 I've been looking at new Fords............oh god whats happening to me.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by JuzPlaneKrazy
I'm so tripped out about what I've read about the 6.7 I've been looking at new Fords............oh god whats happening to me.

Thats more problems yet, at least think Duramax, Ford has had and will continue to have more problems than dodge or gm
Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by tcr
Guys, where is all of this "bashing of the 6.7L", I see alot of un-warranted defending that isn't needed, it looks more like reassurance that you made the right decisions IMO. I do see posts like:

Yes it have a VGT, but guess what, ITS BIGGER THEN YOURS!!!!! and

"I know 3 people that would say the 5.9 is the crappiest motor ever, all 3 blew motors with under 10000 miles."

There's more, but my point is made. I drove a 6.7L for a couple thousand miles and I manage a company w/ a fleet of over 300 trucks w/ a few 6.7Ls that I drive all the time. I see alot of time behind the wheels of 6.7Ls, but because I don't "own" one, alot of you 6.7L "owners" make me feel like I can't even have an opinion in this thread. That my friends is BS and a good reason why one would want to avoid your 6.7L posts/threads. JMO
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tcr:

Let me tell you that as far as the Administrators on this website are concerned you are more than welcome to make comments on the 6.7 Cummins Engine Dodge Trucks anytime you want to and you don't have to be an "owner" of a 6.7 truck to do that! I hope you understand that. As long as any Member posts in a respectful manner in ANY thread on this website there is not going to be any problems. And thanks for your input.

--------
John_P
Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
You mean you had airbags in 1976 ?
I own a 1974 Buick Electra with a factory air bag... do your home work
Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 PM

As far as the 6.7 vr's 5.9 I bet your 06/07 5.9 won't be going down in value in the used market.... Exp~Mega's
Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my boss has a 6.7 6speed 4x4 megacab dullie super nice gets about 13mpg and has lots of torque and power, my best friend drives the same truck but auto and 5.9 w/ the new auto tranny runs great and has great power and torque, getting anywhere from 14 in town 22 highway, they both work and run there trucks really hard and they both have about 7k miles on them, they've both been in the shop a few times but besides the little stuff there both awesome trucks, my next truck will be the 5.9 for the mileage power ratio and the 6 speed, i have heard lots of bad stuff about the new autos, and have driven a couple with problems, so the 6 speed standard is the best tranny with the 5.9 as the best motor, thats my 2 cents!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:42 PM

im gonna keep my 5.9. its been overall a good truck and the 6.7 just doesnt appeal to me. I will always be partial to the cummins. I just think the 5.9 does more of what I want. im not interested in the emissions. I know it had to be put on but I think it will ruin the diesel market at some point
Old 12-06-2007, 08:17 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by 93beater
my boss has a 6.7 6speed 4x4 megacab dullie super nice gets about 13mpg and has lots of torque and power, my best friend drives the same truck but auto and 5.9 w/ the new auto tranny runs great and has great power and torque, getting anywhere from 14 in town 22 highway, they both work and run there trucks really hard and they both have about 7k miles on them, they've both been in the shop a few times but besides the little stuff there both awesome trucks, my next truck will be the 5.9 for the mileage power ratio and the 6 speed, i have heard lots of bad stuff about the new autos, and have driven a couple with problems, so the 6 speed standard is the best tranny with the 5.9 as the best motor, thats my 2 cents!
WHat have you heard bad about the new 6spd auto? Any failures? I'd really like to know how much the new auto can handle w/o failures.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by tcr
WHat have you heard bad about the new 6spd auto? Any failures? I'd really like to know how much the new auto can handle w/o failures.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have also read nothing about the 68rfe. Sounds to me it is another internet myth.....