3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 vs. 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 vs. 5.9

Not trying to start a war, just looking for honest feedback.

Those of you that have the 6.7 how doe you like them? How is the milage? Is the regen tough to live with? Etc., etc., etc...

Especially interested in replies from those that previously owned a 3rd gen 5.9.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:45 AM

not wanting to sway you...

I hate my 6.7L and would get back in a 5.9L if I could. It gets anywhere between 8 and 11MPG and the MIL has not shut off more than a week since it was new. 2230 miles, 7 tanks of fuel, making its 5th trip to the dealer today.

the 5.9L was a better engine, but I don't know how long we can keep holding out with them, this is the way diesel technology is going and we're going to have to accept it. to its credit the 6.7L has amazing torque down low but doesn't like to rev real high.

hold on to your '04, it will be a "grail truck" before too long. I miss mine. alot.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:51 AM
tcr

I'm not going to bash the 6.7L, I did have one for a short period of time. The truck ran fine for a stock truck, but it DID NOT blow the doors off the 07 5.9Ls like some 6.7L owners love to say, plus the gas mileage SUCKED. This was before all the flashes to fix all the issues. I hated the idea of regen shutting down power output while towing or racing, I hated the idea of a 2mic exhaust filter(DPF) and what it would do to EGTs and engine life. I use my trucks on ranches/deer leases that I dont own and I cringe at the thought of starting a grass fire because of my exhaust system. I found myself really missing my modded out 03 and knowing(at that time) I couldn't bomb the he!! out of the 6.7L was killing me, so I got rid of it while I still could. With all this said, I'm now stuck in a used truck world, I will have to buy a used 06-early 07(which I've never done before, I've had a new truck just about every year for 10 yrs). I'm positive DC will figure out how to make these trucks dependable, and hopefully the aftermarket gets a good grasp on them for idiots like me who can't leave anything alone. I really think your best bet is going to be trolling the major 3-4 forum sites and their 6.7L sections, and see for yourself if it's a jump you want to make.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:55 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I replace this truck it will be with another 06 (or) 07 5.9L. I don't have any first hand experience with the 6.7L, just don't want the hassle of all the emissions stuff if I don't have to.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Great posts by tcr and hovisimo!

I have a 2006 Dodge CTD 5.9 CR Truck and have to say that I am darn glad that I bought the 5.9 engine and NOT the 6.7!! Reading the posts by our two Members above makes even more happy that I went with the 5.9. This website is FULL of stories about how bad these 6.7's are. I know there are some that like them, but there are more that don't.

I have driven some 6.7's and they seem like pretty good vehicles, but for what I do with my trucks that 6.7 engine would NOT work for me. As the guys said, the mileage on them is terrible, the DPF's a real pain in the rear and all the electronics really bother me.

---------
John_P
Old 11-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have both and I still want to know why the 6.7 is claimed to be so emissions friendly when it burns 20-25% more fuel to do the same thing as the 5.9.
I will be patient for a little longer to see if there are ways to improve the mileage...if not...the 6.7 is gone and I will pursue something else...Dodge and the EPA need to get their act together.
Someone mentioned 'credits' for emissions...and from what I understand the emissions on the 6.7 are for 2010 so I have emailed Environment Canada asking about this and the legalities of enforcing emissions before the actual year of compliance.

Scotty
HOV

One reason I got out of my LLY Duramax was because of the emissions stuff. The EGR and VVT were not good for that truck. When I learned that the 5.9L CTD didn't have either, my love for it blossomned like a cherry tree in the springtime.

With a 5.9L truck, you can get it with either a stout manual or an auto with room to grow. The 6.7L manuals are detuned, and though the auto seems sweet, I don't believe it makes up for the other shortcomings of the new emissions setup. You can always build up the 48RE to have a nice performing transmission, but you can't mod the 6.7L to be as simple and reliable as the 5.9.

as far as blowing the doors off, it's a matter of pulling power, not speed. stock for stock at 1600RPM the 6.7L is a monster. with a 6 speed it's pretty slow.

my seat of the pants dyno tells me the 6.7L has a much narrower powerband, the 5.9L would pull the whole way to redline while the 6.7L dies off past 2200RPM.

as far as problems, your odds are about as good playing russian roulette with 3 rounds in a 6 round revolver based on everything I've read and experienced.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 AM

i had an 06 with mods, i really like the 08 better. 6 spd auto is great as well as the exhaust brake, i tow all the time, at 11000 miles i have not had a single problem, mileage is the same as my 06 (towing), I only drive around town empty so can't compare highway empty but i assume it is less than the 5.9, as it doesn't pertain to my driving (not a commuter) I could care less. The 6.7 pulls great, has a gear for every situation and for my application out performs the 5.9 w/ 4 spd auto. I do miss the top end power but that will be there once i find a tow box (waiting on quadzilla). My 5.9 didn't have much top end till i chipped it either, all the emission controls etc are NOT going to go away, drive the wheels off your 5.9's or bite the bullet and step up, you are going to have to move into the new stuff sooner or later.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 AM

I've had both a 2004.5 Quadcab 5.9L w/4 speed auto and now a 2007.5 Megacab w/6 speed auto. If I could get the 5.9L with the 6 speed auto and exhaust brake, I'd be in it. Since that is not an option, I went with the 6.7L. I've had the truck in twice for service for a total down time of three days during the last six months and 8500 miles. I'm getting 15 city/17 hwy (unloaded, hand calc) which is about what my 4.10 geared 5.9L got. IMO the 6 speed auto and exhaust brake are significantly better than the old 4 speed auto. I'll stick with the 6.7L.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 AM

I've had both.

I had an 04.5 5.9L and I just traded it last week for an 07 6.7L. I know some people are getting terrible fuel mileage, but I went from a quad cab to a mega cab, and my mileage is only down about 1 mpg. My 5.9 never got great mileage. It was about 15-15.5 around town and 17 on the highway. My 6.7 so far is about 14-14.5 around town, hand calc. I haven't had it on the highway yet. I loved my 5.9, it's a great engine, but I hated my 4 speed auto. Yes, it was reliable, but equally as archaic. I believe the auto was responsible for the lack of fuel mileage and some definite power loss. The 6.7 feels much stronger to me and the 6 speed auto is worth the price of admission, IMO. I bought my 07 used, it had 15K on it. I pulled the history from the dealer and it's never been in. I do have to have the recall performed, but so far I'm lovin it! Unfortunately the EPA seems to love doing diesels a disservice, it's something we all have to live with from here on out. On the grand scheme of things, let us count our blessings that we do not have the pull the cab of our trucks when there is a problem.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:31 AM

Based on the responses to this post, it looks like those of us that are happy with our 6.7s are getting tired of defending them.

Or it could be that we're out having fun driving the stink out of them.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 AM

i really do get tired of defending these posts against the few ppl that had problems and went back to the 5.9. But hey, if i had all the problems they did, i would feel the same way. Fortunately i have yet to have a single problem with mine and i ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

If you are just looking to bomb it and race the truck then you would probably like the 5.9 better.

HOWEVER if you like to leave the truck stock, or like the best towing truck from the factory, then hands down the 6.7 wins. Ive been wanting a cummins for years, but wanted an auto tranny. SO i was left with my only choice being a duramax as i absolutely refused to buy the cummins with a 4spd behind it. Some claim it to be very reliable but we all have our own experiences. When they came out with the 6.7 and 6spd auto i went and test drove one and knew it was the ticket. The 6spd auto hands down rocks!!

Im getting about 17mpg mixed driving. Havent done just a tank on city yet. I did a tank that was just hwy and the average speed was about 80mph, with only 1000miles on the truck, it averaged just over 17mpg. If i had slowed down to 65-70mph i know i could have gotten pretty close to 18mpg.

I think you mainly need to ask yourself what you will use the truck for....
Old 11-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I'd defend my 6.7 too...for everything but the mileage. Other then that, I like the truck. Read my post, I am holding on to see if theres a way to improve it slightly. After 21K miles its netting 20% less then the 5.9 doing the same thing.
Only difference in these trucks is one is a mega cab and one is a quad...I doubt that is where the difference in mileage is. After owning 26 of these trucks and having the opportunity to look at the fuel bills for the 07 stock 5.9 and 6.7, I still wonder what is making this big of a difference. Since I put over 100K on these trucks in a year that kind of a difference adds up real fast.
18.2 empty with the 5.9 and 11-12 towing.
low 15's with the 6.7
I should mention that there is not that big of a spread towing...1-1.5 mpg.
I use these trucks for work, not getting groceries or racing.

nuff said on here as I see that if you voice the concern, it gets really protective about the 6.7. Have fun.

Scotty
Old 11-29-2007, 11:12 AM
DBM

Emissions will always be the main factor. For those who bought the 6.7s and hoped that one day they will have it figured out keep on waiting. I was on the verge of purchasing the 6.7 but after talking to two mechanics from two different dealerships and hearing there not going to figure out the emission stuff for a while, more then a year i said i cant wait that long But if you bought the 6.7 for towing and daily driving then it wasnt a bad mistake at all.