3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 vs. 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddlerLS1
didnt you mean that a 5.9 takes 2 chips to make the horsepower that a 6.7 makes with 1 chip?

or do you mean that the chips for a 5.9 give the 5.9 an additional 200hp where as the chips for a 6.7 give it only 100hp? so that it would take 2 chips for the 6.7 to get the same addition as the 5.9 with one chip.
LOL, think he got confused!!!

EITHER WAY, 6.9 all the way

SMARTY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by MtnTrucker
The thing thats weird to me is, few if any 6.7 owners seems to troll the 5.9 forums looking for opportunities to say their truck is better than someone else and how glad they are they bought their 6.7...
I'm not "trolling". Also, I do not know if the 5.9 is better or worse that the 6.7 - that's why I asked the question. The reason there are alot of 5.9 owners on this forum is because down the road, many will be considering the 6.7. Not many w/ the 6.7 that will be going to a 5.9.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Banned

Its really hard trying to decide which truck to get. If you want cheap reliablity, get a 6 speed 5.9. Just my 2 cents for looking down the future with alot of miles on a truck. If you want performance, or care about green planet, get a 6.7. I got 6.7 due to the fact I wanted a automatic and the 4 speed auto sucks. Also i tote alot so the exhaust brake is nice. MPG will get better with Smarty. Oh yeah, I said that
Old 12-03-2007, 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=Scotty;1814243]I have both and I still want to know why the 6.7 is claimed to be so emissions friendly when it burns 20-25% more fuel to do the same thing as the 5.9.

Remember that the additional fuel used by the 6.7 during regeneration doesn't get burned by the engine in the process of creating power. It gets injected into the convertor via an extra injector pulse during the exhaust stroke and creates heat via the catalytic process. It is turned into a less harmful gas that way. I've heard (don't know if it's true) that up to 1.5 gallons from a typical 34 gallon tank can be used for this regen process. If you go 400 miles on 30 gal thats 13.3 mpg, if you go 400 miles on 31.5 gal it's 12.6 mpg. So just this 1.5 gal used in regens, though it's not creating pollutants, can cause a noticeable drop in mpg. And, keep in mind the 6.7 is 408 C.I and the 5.9 is 360.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Hodowanec
I'm not "trolling". Also, I do not know if the 5.9 is better or worse that the 6.7 - that's why I asked the question. The reason there are alot of 5.9 owners on this forum is because down the road, many will be considering the 6.7. Not many w/ the 6.7 that will be going to a 5.9.
Mark-Your post that started this thread was entirely appropriate. You asked a simple question to the 6.7 owners regarding how they liked their trucks. The issue for me was, the 5.9 guys that don't even own 6.7's had to jump in and start beating their drum once again about how glad they are they bought a 5.9 instead of a 6.7 or they're going to buy used 5.9's well into the next century, etc, etc. Who cares? If that is what they want to do, fine, but they should stay on the 5.9 forum and they can all practice patting each other on the back. It just gets really old and it contributes nothing productive to the discussion, which is what these forums are supposed to be used for.

To answer your original question: I like my 6.7 just fine. I've had 1 CEL which was fixed with a reflash and I recently had the o2 sensor recall completed. I just filled up my tank, it took 56 gallons to the top of the neck and showed 856 miles on the trip odometer which works out to 15.2 mpg and that is all city and urban driving. I get between 18-19 mpg on the highway at 75 mph and the cruise turned on.

If I didn't have an EGT gauge I would never even know that a regen was occuring. Some people say that a regen while you are towing will cut your power. I tow 12K boats all over the mountains of Colorado and have never felt a loss of power, so I can't comment on that impact.

I've had numerous other diesel trucks over the years and all of them had problems of some sort or the other at first but then became very reliable. In my opinion it's the same story with the 6.7.

From this point forward the question should be "Do I want a new truck or should I keep my old one?". Because from this point forward if you want a new truck, regardless of brand, you will be getting an emission system just like the 6.7 has.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
I have both and I still want to know why the 6.7 is claimed to be so emissions friendly when it burns 20-25% more fuel to do the same thing as the 5.9.
Remember that the additional fuel used by the 6.7 during regeneration doesn't get burned by the engine in the process of creating power. It gets injected into the convertor via an extra injector pulse during the exhaust stroke and creates heat via the catalytic process. It is turned into a less harmful gas that way. I've heard (don't know if it's true) that up to 1.5 gallons from a typical 34 gallon tank can be used for this regen process. If you go 400 miles on 30 gal thats 13.3 mpg, if you go 400 miles on 31.5 gal it's 12.6 mpg. So just this 1.5 gal used in regens, though it's not creating pollutants, can cause a noticeable drop in mpg. And, keep in mind the 6.7 is 408 C.I and the 5.9 is 360.
thanks for the input...still, I think its a bummer that we are hit with the costs in the long run for this 'emissions' mission. I like the idea of cleaner air too. Perhaps the cost we are incurring now will offset the costs for everyone in the future. Now doesn't that sound philisophical? Or political? LOL

Scotty
Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 PM

Mark-Your post that started this thread was entirely appropriate. You asked a simple question to the 6.7 owners regarding how they liked their trucks. The issue for me was, the 5.9 guys that don't even own 6.7's had to jump in and start beating their drum once again about how glad they are they bought a 5.9 instead of a 6.7 or they're going to buy used 5.9's well into the next century, etc, etc. Who cares? If that is what they want to do, fine, but they should stay on the 5.9 forum and they can all practice patting each other on the back. It just gets really old and it contributes nothing productive to the discussion, which is what these forums are supposed to be used for.

To answer your original question: I like my 6.7 just fine. I've had 1 CEL which was fixed with a reflash and I recently had the o2 sensor recall completed. I just filled up my tank, it took 56 gallons to the top of the neck and showed 856 miles on the trip odometer which works out to 15.2 mpg and that is all city and urban driving. I get between 18-19 mpg on the highway at 75 mph and the cruise turned on.

If I didn't have an EGT gauge I would never even know that a regen was occuring. Some people say that a regen while you are towing will cut your power. I tow 12K boats all over the mountains of Colorado and have never felt a loss of power, so I can't comment on that impact.

I've had numerous other diesel trucks over the years and all of them had problems of some sort or the other at first but then became very reliable. In my opinion it's the same story with the 6.7.

From this point forward the question should be "Do I want a new truck or should I keep my old one?". Because from this point forward if you want a new truck, regardless of brand, you will be getting an emission system just like the 6.7 has.
And everyone said, "AMEN". Even though I have a 6.7, I can appreciate the proven 5.9s (and their owners) too. They laid the groundwork for what I drive today. But we're the ones laying the groundwork for what they drive tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 5.9 and I was not going to post at all but what the heck. I have driven the 6.7 manual and stick. I liked them both better than my 5.9. I just can't justify spending any money on a new truck when mine only has 43,000 miles on it. Not to wise. Fuel mileage complaints,,,ahh- hard to say, to many things will throw off the calculations.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:10 AM

only problem i had was a mystery check engine light while the overhead computer readout didnt detect anything wrong (happened about a week after my G30 recall). dealer couldnt get my truck in right away and said it should be fine to drive as long as nothing felt wrong with it. the light went away after a few days. otherwise, i love my truck
Old 12-04-2007, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Flattman
And everyone said, "AMEN". Even though I have a 6.7, I can appreciate the proven 5.9s (and their owners) too. They laid the groundwork for what I drive today. But we're the ones laying the groundwork for what they drive tomorrow.
I second that. I love my 5.9, and am not even in the market for a new truck (even though as my kids are growing I could really use a Mega). Thinking about a Mega made me realize that a 5.9 will be progressively harder to come by down the road. Kind of reminds mewhen I bought my 2004.5 Ram. I really wanted a Ford, but did not want the 6.0 (really wanted a 7.3 which is a great engine). Eventually got a Dodge because of the motor.

Please, no flames. I'm not saying that the 6.7 is to the 5.9 what the 6.0 was to a 7.3 for the PowerStroke. But the new emmisions stuff scares me a bit. Cummins seems to understand this a whole lot better than International or Isuzu, but none-the-less, it is new technology!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:57 AM

Have considered both engines, I pulled the trigger on a 9000 mile 2006 5.9L rather then price out a new 6.7L. I also didn't like the spike in EGT, reduction in mileage, and extra wear and tear on the engine. When the miles rack up on this truck, I'll retire it to the corner of my garage and get a new one in the distant future, where this whole DPF regen thing is gone and everyone uses the Honda or Urea systems and EGTs are kept in check (assuming that is the way things will turn out).

-Chris
Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 AM

Boy Howdy, after reading through all the emissions codes that are being thrown makes me wonder if I should cancel my 08' order.

Anyone with an 08' with some miles on it that hasn't thrown codes? I assume that the 08's are being delivered with the latest flashes?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

To answer your original question: I like my 6.7 just fine.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
MtnTrucker:

After reading your post I thought I would make a few comments concerning this thread.

First off, I am glad to hear you are happy with your 6.7! Each Member here has to come to the decision on their own concerning the all the new diesel trucks with updated "emission engines" in them.

With that being said,.......I did not see where Mark ever said in his first post that he DID NOT want to hear from any 5.9 owners concerning the 6.7 engine. I know I also commented on them after having driven a few so if my comments offended you I apologize. However, at the present time, there is NO policy whatsoever on this website that says that any Member (5.9 or 6.7 owner) can't come into a thread under ANY section and make a comment concerning what is asked in that thread. You may not agree with that, but that is the way it is. Also, your comment on "5.9 owners staying on the 5.9 forum so we can all practice patting each other on the back" IMHO was uncalled for. The way I look at it is if a prospective buyer of a new 2008 Dodge 6.7 has concerns about how the emissions engines compare to the 5.9
engine without them,.... and there HAVE been problems,... then this should be made aware to the newer Members coming aboard. As you said, this is what the DTR forum is all about, sharing of information back and forth whether it be good or bad.

--------
John_P
Old 12-04-2007, 08:58 AM

I enjoy my 6.7 Mega... she runs great... other than the recent recall i have had no reason to go back and flash it or any other CEL come up... i am getting 21 mpg on highway and about 16-17 on the street... im not looking to smoke anyone so im very gentle with my throttle... cant complain
Old 12-04-2007, 12:04 PM

Is this correct on hp torque difference between the 5.9 & the 6.7???

6.7 350hp 610
5.9 345hp 610