3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Time for another front-end rebuild... brand recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Time for another front-end rebuild... brand recommendations?

I rebuilt the front end of my truck in January of 2014 due to death wobble issues. That included new wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, steering damper and front axle u-joints. I also installed a steering brace. That cured it until about two months ago. Now it's back with a vengeance, four years and about 19,000 miles later. Yeah, I don't drive it much.

Tonight, I pulled the track bar, which is one thing I didn't touch in 2014. The bushings actually seem nice 'n tight, but I will still have a shop press them out and I have a new set of Moog poly bushings to install in it.

But to get the track bar out, I had to pop the RF tie rod end and while I was at it, the joint connecting the bar controlling the front wheels to the bar controlling the steering... what's that, the drag link?

The drag link feels a little loose. The tie rod end is still fairly tight. Nevertheless, I'm thinking I might as well just do it all over again. Not like it's hard or even all that costly. I just don't plan to do ball joints again if I can avoid it. That was a PITA.

So... what brand do you guys recommend for the tie rod stuff? I don't even remember what I used before, other than I know it wasn't Moog.

Looking at Rock Auto, I see Moog and Proforged under their Premium section. Under Daily Driver, I see Mevotech and AC Delco. Under Heavy Duty, I see a Mevotech.

Here's a link in case anybody wants to see:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...e+rod+end,7428

I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!!

Rob
Old 05-07-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like we have much the same truck. I feel your pain. While I've not had DW issues, I have replaced everything from the steering box to the hubs, more than once or twice on most of them.

My recommendation: RedHead steering box, NAPA's best quality BRAND NEW power steering pump, upgraded factory drag link/tie rods, Timken hubs, no recommendation on ball joints (yes, PIA), and, make sure your track bar is bolted VERY tight. I had bad luck with replacement rubber track bar bushings that didn't last a few months. Maybe your poly ones will be better.

Also, if you have wheels with large offsets that stick the tires well outside the fenders, sell them. They put huge stresses on every front end component. Think about what it takes to swing or bounce those wheels around an extended centerline with all the weight on the front end. Get some factory offset wheels (adjusted for wheel width differences if you're going wider). I'm running Centerlines. ALL of your front end parts will last longer. I cringe every time I see a truck on skateboard wheels rolling down the road.

Lastly, or maybe firstly, check your tire pressures and confirm your shocks are good....
Old 05-07-2018, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the tips. The Redhead box is a little pricey but not terrible.

I have stock dually wheels; I was going to put American Eagles on it this Fall when I get new tires, but yeah I don't like a lot of offset.

I _think_ I have Timken hubs; not 100% sure but I think I do. I will check them when I check the ball joints.

So there are upgraded factory tie rods and stuff?? I'll have to see what those are gonna cost...

Thanks!!

Rob
Old 05-08-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Buy this one from CJC Offroad. Beefy and greaseable.
Synergy Manufacturing 2003-2009 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Heavy Duty Steering Kit
Old 05-08-2018, 09:24 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RobG
I rebuilt the front end of my truck in January of 2014 due to death wobble issues. That included new wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, steering damper and front axle u-joints. I also installed a steering brace. That cured it until about two months ago. Now it's back with a vengeance, four years and about 19,000 miles later. Yeah, I don't drive it much.

Tonight, I pulled the track bar, which is one thing I didn't touch in 2014. The bushings actually seem nice 'n tight, but I will still have a shop press them out and I have a new set of Moog poly bushings to install in it.

But to get the track bar out, I had to pop the RF tie rod end and while I was at it, the joint connecting the bar controlling the front wheels to the bar controlling the steering... what's that, the drag link?

The drag link feels a little loose. The tie rod end is still fairly tight. Nevertheless, I'm thinking I might as well just do it all over again. Not like it's hard or even all that costly. I just don't plan to do ball joints again if I can avoid it. That was a PITA.

So... what brand do you guys recommend for the tie rod stuff? I don't even remember what I used before, other than I know it wasn't Moog.

Looking at Rock Auto, I see Moog and Proforged under their Premium section. Under Daily Driver, I see Mevotech and AC Delco. Under Heavy Duty, I see a Mevotech.

Here's a link in case anybody wants to see:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...e+rod+end,7428

I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!!

Rob
save a lot of money and get a 2wd, most people that have 4wd's don't use them
Old 05-08-2018, 12:46 PM

I actually use my 4WD.

And... $750 for steering components? Better be made of Titanium and have a lifetime warranty at that price!