3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ring & Pinion Gears Going Out-Low Lube Level Damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Ring & Pinion Gears Going Out-Low Lube Level Damage

KenR, <br><br>States with &quot;Lemon Laws&quot; have a procedure which qualifies the vehicle as a lemon. California has one of the most detailed procedures. If you buy a new vehicle D-C dealers are to provide you with a copy. Reputable dealers try to see warranty problems are resolved without going route. Even though my vehicle has a problem I still have reasonable use. My servicing dealer has been reasonable and has attempted to minimize my inconvenience. <br><br>If an adversarial relationship develops between the customer and the dealer or the dealer and D-C over warranty repairs, everybody loses.
Old 11-28-2002, 12:51 PM

Sierra Phil,<br><br>Mississippi also has a Lemon Law and the dealer has three chances to correct the same problem within the first year. If they can't correct it they have to buy the vehicle back from you including paying you for the sales tax collected, less a mileage charge. The key is to be sure each repair is documented.<br><br>You don't need a Lawyer to enforce it.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:30 PM

Today My Ram went into the dealer to have all the gears, bearings, and seals replaced in the rear axle. This is the second day I have been without my wheels. Hope to have a call tomorrow that it is good as new again with a quiet rear axle. Almost 3300 miles, 1/3 broken in.

KenR, I am well aware of the Lemon Laws. Every purchaser of a new vehicle receives a copy of the D-C supplement to Warranty Booklet outlining these laws. As I live in California only the Laws of California apply. This disclosure is 9 pages in length. If you don't have a copy of this booklet you should ask to see one at any new car dealer.

There are sections pertaining to lemon laws with most states listed as well as Washington DC and Puerto Rico. Absent from this booklet is any mention of Mississippi.

In Calif. the vehicle must be out of service for 30 days total within 18 months after delivery. Out of service means unable to operate or unsafe to operate. The 30 days may be extended if the conditions preventing repair are conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer of the vehicle.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:27 PM

[quote author=Sierra Phil link=board=20;threadid=6962;start=45#74737 date=1038875442]<br><br><br>KenR, I am well aware of the Lemon Laws. Every purchaser of a new vehicle receives a copy of the D-C supplement to Warranty Booklet outlining these laws. As I live in California only the Laws of California apply. This disclosure is 9 pages in length. If you don't have a copy of this booklet you should ask to see one at any new car dealer.<br><br>There are sections pertaining to lemon laws with most states listed as well as Washington DC and Puerto Rico. Absent from this booklet is any mention of Mississippi. <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>My Lemon Law case occurred in 1995. Go here for current MS Lemon Law information if you desire to read it.<br><br>http://www.mississippi-lemon-law.com...lemon_law_.htm
Old 12-03-2002, 10:41 PM

Picked up my 2003 baby at 5:15 p.m. today. They sure did quiet down that rear axle with all the new bearings and gears. Total time in show since taking delivery 3 days. I am satisfied with the results. No charge for the two wash and vacuum jobs. All warranty.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:55 AM

Sierra,<br> Glad to see that everything worked out for you If I ever see mine, the first thing I'll do is check the fluid levels. What level did your dealer finally decide was correct?<br>Latter,<br>The Boss Hog<br>
Old 12-04-2002, 08:16 AM

It is now 1/2 &quot; below opening. That is minimum according to Owner's Manual&quot;. ???
Old 12-04-2002, 06:00 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Phil,<br>Really glad to hear about the satisfactory installation of the gears. That is a little disarming to pay that much money and have something mess up. But, as stated before, there are a bunch of parts all put together to make these things purr. Amazing they don't break more often. Hope it stays quiet.<br><br>Bob
Old 12-04-2002, 06:17 PM

Bob, it is great when you have a dealer which wants customer satisfaction. They'll go to bat for you and will do what is necessary to fix things right. <br><br> Phil
Old 12-05-2002, 08:26 PM

I took my truck in for the free first oil change at the dealership. <br> I asked them to check the differental fluid since I had heard of some having low oil levels with some suffering failures from it.<br> They had never heard of any such thing but they would check anyway. Guess what, 1 quart low. My truck had 3000 miles on it. I guess my truck rear end should be broke in now running it a quart low for 3000 miles.<br> I am going back and telling them to check my transmission and everything else that has fluids. My thought is if they find something else low and fill it, at least I will have a record of it if something fails later.<br> FWIW Randy