3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ring & Pinion Gears Going Out-Low Lube Level Damage

Old 11-17-2002, 08:40 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:Ring & Pinion Gears Going Out-Low Lube Level Damage

What is so scarry is they do not know what a solid line in the middle of the road means. It means, don't cross it. &gt; You come into a blind corner, start around it, and here is some idiot over on your side of the road cutting the corner. Where do you go with a big RV? I almost got knocked over the side of a mountain by a motorhome coming down and cutting a corner. I was going up the back route old mule team route) to Cripple Creek, CO. Don't ask me why I was on that road in a Class A motorhome, but I was. Some lady in a class C coming down, smoke pouring out of her brakes (probably did not know what a gearshift was) and cutting the corner. <br><br>You are right - - there are lessons to be learned when heading into them thar hills if you want to come out alive and not kill other innocent people. Really fun to watch them hang tight to the side away from the drop off, whether it is on their side or yours makes no difference - - just keep me away from that drop off, Mable.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FiverBob, At this rate (still KZ &gt; )I may never get to see how the Cummins starts in cold weather much less snow, but I sure found out about the Harley this morning! Riding to work this morning was a bit on the nippy side . But then, I don't remember being able to ride in mid November in Steamboat ;D ;D ;D<br><br>Sierra Phil, I agree that driving in winter conditions in the mountains takes experience and a lot of common sense. Personally, the worst winter drivers I have encountered are 18 year olds driving Toyota 4x4 pickups. They apperently have no fear of God.<br><br>Latter,<br>The Boss Hog (the happy flatlander)
Old 11-19-2002, 05:22 PM

Update on Parts Backorder<br><br>Today I talked with the service manager. All the parts for replacing ring &amp; Pinion gears have arrived except a shim kit. They expect it to arrive by tomorrow. Then they will schedule a time for installation of parts. <br><br>It will sure be nice to have it fixed and quiet.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:13 PM

2nd Update on Parts Back Order<br><br>Stopped by dealer again today and they have all the parts for installing new ring &amp; pinion, over $1500 in parts on the list. The status of the needed 3 shim kits has not changed. They are now contacting American Axle to find what other shim kits fit. (GM has this axle on their trucks. If there are GM kit that are the same they will go that route since they own the GM dealership.)<br><br>I will check back on Monday. ???
Old 11-25-2002, 06:54 PM

Rebuild of Rear Axle Scheduled for Monday <br><br>Visited my dealer today. Service Manager greeted me with &quot;Happy Thanksgiving, Good news.&quot; The consulted with American Axle and were informed in the event for the need of shims, the GM shims could be used. These have been available through their GM dealership 1/2 mile away from the D-C location.<br><br>My baby is to get all new gears, bearings, and seals in rear axle. I take her in at 8:30 next Monday. She should be ready the following day. I'll have a quiet rear axle again. ;D ;D
Old 11-26-2002, 06:10 AM

Phil,<br> That is good news Hope it turns out OK for you. I stopped by the Dealership last Friday and I think I am starting to fall out of love with the salesman He did not have a clue where the truck was or when it would get here. That's was expected. But when I started to tell him about the low fluid levels in the axles, he cut me off saying &quot; don't worry they check all that stuff on the PDI.&quot; I then politely asked him not to cut me off when I was stating a concern and I said I wanted it in writing that they did the check. He again said not to worry and rushed off to anouther customer &gt; <br> I am very much looking forward to the arrival of the truck and just hope the delivery process does not turn ugly. <br><br>The Boss Hog<br>
Old 11-26-2002, 08:50 AM

I am new to this forum after reading it for a short time. You guys provide great information. A little of my ownership history is provided.
I have owned a 1989 and 1996 Cummins and have been pleased and trouble free over the years. I am wanting to purchase the 2003 very soon and will probably place my order when the new 48RE is available. Hopefully shortly.

I am just reading about this Low Lube problem. Is this only related to the 2500 series or to all trucks? Where is the quality control by both DC and the dealers?

Thanks

Old 11-26-2002, 10:59 AM

Welcome KenR, The responsibility for the fluid level is with AMM the manufacturer of the axle assembly. You can be sure that D-C is randomly checking the levels at the factory, as the vehicles are driven before arrival at the dealer. <br><br>Boss Hog, when you take delivery of your baby, ask to speak with the tech that did the PDI. Then ask him. Most tech are more customer oriented to satisfaction.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:44 AM

Boss<br><br>A word to the wise. You have &quot;padded&quot; your salesmans back pocket. Does he really want to talk to you or does he want to pad his pocket even more? Food for thought!<br><br>Now the people you need to know are the service guys. The main service guy at my dealership made a special point of finding me one day whilst I was there, and saying if anything was wrong with the service or parts area to contact him.<br><br>He even called me on a Sunday (they are not open, he was there doing some stuff) to tell me my long awaited tow mirrors where in so he could schedule me for early Monday morning.<br><br>Forget the sales guy, he is a hot breath of foul air in the wind!<br><br>Get to know the other part of the dealership now.<br><br>And call DC, keep checking daily at 1-800-992-1997. Tell them your problem, and if not helpful, ask for a supervisor. It will work, trust me!<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-26-2002, 01:19 PM
Chapter President

KenR, the problem is not just the 2500, as mine was well over a quart low on my 3500. Make sure when you take delivery of your truck, you make them check the axle lube level right then. My local dealer didnt offer to locate a truck for me. Since they didnt have any yet, I found one about 2 hours away at another dealership. I asked about the lube level, and they said &quot;thats all in the PDI&quot; I said ok. :(STUPID) Well, truck developed a vibration, so I called my local dealer for service. When he found out that the axle lube level was low, he refused to fill it! He said the &quot;other&quot; dealership was responsible, and they got paid to check that.So, after some heated calls between local and out-of town, and also the 800 number for dodge, still I'm getting the run around. (I'm at work, my wife is doing the calling) I actually had one dealer refuse to even do warranty work of any kind because I didnt buy it there. &gt; Anyway moral of the story is after I got off a 12 hour shift at work, I went straight to the local dealer and demanded to speak to the owner. After I explained the situation to him he took care of things. Imagine that...a P*****g match between &quot;stealers&quot; over a stupid quart of oil. I asked the local service manager if a quart of oil was worth losing a future customer, and he said&quot; thats expensive oil&quot; ??? I said &quot; More than my 35k truck??? What a loser. I am real dissapointed in Dodge service dept. already, and my truck only has 1800 miles it...Not a good sign for future visits. ??? Sorry for the long post, I was'nt going to even mention it, but I get um...upset... every time I think about it. Cat Cracker.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:25 PM

Well I don't want to start a war here but their is something to be said for keeping your business with the local dealer. I am in a business where the same thing happens, someone comes in and trys to beat you up and price and then goes buys it down the road at a big chain store. Then they come back to me when something is wrong with it because the chain store service sucks. That is what you are doing is passing one dealers problem on to anothers. I could have gone 2 hours away and probably saved $500 or so one my truck, but I stuck with my local business because they are going to service it and take care of me.<br><br>Everyone going price shopping and buying at the &quot;big boxes&quot; it what is runing the small business and service in this country, all they want it your money, that don't give about you when you walk out the door.<br><br>Their that is my support the small local business speach ;D
Old 11-26-2002, 02:28 PM

Sierra Phil and Cat Cracker. Thanks for the welcome.<br>I am Glad to able to learn this information before I order and thanks to you guys for sharing.<br><br>Dodge's PDI is lacking something and it has occurred at more than one dealership. Of course it appears that AMM is the initial cause of this problem. I feel sure that Dodge now has a handle on it but it certainly does not help the individual that has damage. It puts a very sour taste in your mouth and makes on lookers hesitate to buy.<br><br>In 1994 I was involved in the first failure of the new V10 that destroyed my engine by lack of care by the dealer to solve a minor problem. A major recall developed on the V10 and mine qualified as a LEMON and Dodge had to buy it back.<br>Good luck to all.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:52 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I agree with you Mopar Mudder on keeping your money home. But unfortunately the dealer near me has no idea what dealing is. I made 3 attempts to buy from him and finally drove 4 hours and saved just under $6,000 dollars on the truck I ordered.<br> <br> Then took the order form back and showed him I could order the truck he told me I could not get. he merely grunted and tossed the form back at me. <br><br> I wanted him to make money on the deal but $6,000.00 difference for a 4 hour drive is rediculous. Oh well you can only try so many times till you get tired of dealing with them. And the guy I bought from gave me his best price right over the phone no haggling. And they didn't have this 1,800 dollar area mark up the Dealer here adds to the sticker price either. I never saw that before anywhere. They just stick it on there hoping you are dumb enough to pay it.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:08 PM

$6,000 He must have needed a new boat or something!!!! That is a little, no alot extreme, man.<br><br>That is one nice thing about living in a small town, things seem to be better that way. And if someone is going to be high you already know it and never go talk to them to start with, them people usually aren't in business for very long either.<br><br>P.S. Wheres my truck :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Old 11-27-2002, 07:31 PM
Chapter President

Mopar_Mudder: I totally agree with supporting local business, thats why I went to my local Dodge dealer 3 times, talked to the salesperson I bought my 2001 cummins diesel truck from, told them that I wanted an 03'. I got the response&quot; umm, we dont have any, but we should get some in around november&quot; Not once did they offer to LOCATE one for me, and I dont feel obligated to force them to do their job. If they dont want to make an effort, then I'm not gonna force them to. Thats exactly what I told the owner, because I dont want to be treated like the proverbial &quot;red-headed step child&quot; every time I bring my truck for service.Its not my fault his sales people dropped the ball. He agreed.<br><br> Cat Cracker.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ring & Pinion Gears Going Out-Low Lube Level Damage