3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ring & Pinion Gears Going Out-Low Lube Level Damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Ring & Pinion Gears Going Out-Low Lube Level Damage

[quote author=Sierra Phil link=board=20;threadid=6962;start=0#66156 date=1037167114]<br>It is difficult for flatlanders to imagine the mountain grades we have in the west. Who in the flyover country flatland ever experienced pulling 27 miles of 9% grade only to crest the summit and have 9 miles downhill 8% grade. [/quote]I appreciate all of your inputs but I think I failed to clearly convey my position. To clarify where I was coming from, let me make the following comments:<br><br>FiverBob:<br><br>I am using the formula “rise over run equals grade”. A grade of 9% for 27 miles works out to a rise of 12, 830.4 feet (but 10,853 ft. makes my same point). Please let me know if I am using the wrong formula.<br><br>Nevada:<br><br>Mount Evans byway is a narrow, dead end road full of pot holes and broken pavement that no sane person would attempt to tow anything up. Highest continuous paved road on your list is Trail Ridge Road (12,320 ft). That road connects Grand Lake, CO (elev. 8574 ft) to Estes Park, Co (elev. 7500) and is 46.5 miles long. The real climb and decent takes place between those two points. The way I do the math, that does not equate to a 12,000 foot rise in 27 miles.<br><br>SierraPhil:<br><br>Glad to see you spent a week in Ouray, Co. Its a beautiful area. I was born in Denver and grew up in Steamboat Springs, Co. You should have driven Rabbit Ears pass before the new road was put in to the west summit in the early 1960’s. Of course back then you didn’t see any fifth wheel travel trailers.<br><br>As you know, Mt Whitney is located on the eastern edge of Sequoia National Park and there are no continuous roads over the Sierra’s through Sequoia National Park. Lone Pine is the closet point, on a continuous road (US395), to Mt Whitney. It is 3,680 feet high and is over 60 miles from Death Valley. Closest mountain pass to Mt Whitney is Tioga Pass (9,900 ft) on Hwy 120. It is over well over 125 miles north of Lone Pine. I don’t care what direction you take out of Death Valley. You’re not going to be 12,000 feet higher after only 27 miles.<br><br>All:<br><br>I in no way intended to get into a negative discussion with anyone, but I do resent the way certain people look down their nose at us flatlanders like we are some kind of imbeciles. We all agree that you need to take the proper precautions when driving no matter where you are going. Diving tips, based on local knowledge, are always appreciated but what we don’t need is people throwing out wild exaggerations for the sole purpose of impressing other people with their driving abilities. <br><br>The Boss Hog<br><br>PS I’m surprised to see that you think its funny to see folks in trouble. I personally try to help if I can.<br><br><br>
Old 11-14-2002, 11:16 AM

Cowboy<br><br>Man, glad you got that taken care of! <br><br>Another feather in the forums hat for helping someone in need!<br><br>My only question is this, how can DC have allowed this to happen? As time rolls on, it appears we are gonna have more and more rear end failures just like Cowboys. Seems they would be on it like my dog on a rabbit and every newer rear end would be recalled and looked at ASAP<br><br>Glad I had mine checked soon enough (I hope)<br><br>At least there is a record of it and can stuff it down their throat if I do have a problem later<br><br>Welcome aboard Cowboy<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-14-2002, 11:18 AM

Boss!<br><br>I think everyone is funnin' about the &quot;flatlander&quot; thing <br><br>I for one, never met a flatlander I didn't like <br><br>Have a good day, when is your truck do?<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-14-2002, 11:48 AM

Hunter,<br> I'm starting to get a little fustrated with DC. &gt; The truck has been in KZ status since 11/6/02. I just called and was told the same thing, &quot;KZ but no rail car assigned yet&quot;. Elizabeth (very nice lady) said she was sorry but I should call back next week to see if the status has changed. Sorry ain't going to hack it if I miss out on the rebate because it sat on a back lot in Mexico for two weeks.<br>Latter,<br>The Boss Hog<br>(still learning how to drive on the flatlands )
Old 11-14-2002, 12:17 PM

Thanks Hunter.<br>Truly, my hat is off to the forum. Knowing that these issues exist and that people use the knowledge to hold DC accountable can't help but make a better product.... While I don't know for a FACT, I believe my own dealer is unaware of this resource but would certainly be ahead of the game if they did pay attention to what's going on here, spot trends and check for themselves (I gotta believe they would rather fill a differential than mess around with a bunch of failures) when something becomes a hot topics....<br>Must be a &quot;Men from the Boys: thing.<br>Anyway, I love this truck, and as SierraPhil said, money is WAY too hard to come by for me to waste it and not do a little preventative/pro-active maintenance. <br>I will be sure to post things as they come along. Who knows it might make all the difference for someone...<br>
Old 11-14-2002, 12:39 PM

Amen! Cowboy Mark. It sure helps when you know others are having the same problem. Dealers for the most part like to know that yours is not an isolated case. Top notch dealers will take the 5 minutes to check and do preventive maintenance if customer is in for service. Can you imagine a large fleet customer having several vehicles out of service because of a common problem/ What that event would have on the reputation for reliability? That could be devastating in a small community.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:06 PM

Boss<br><br>Keep your chin up. When I called on mine once they said nope, it is still in D status and won't go to D1 probably until next week. Well, when I called a week later, it had gone thru all the D's and Z's and was on a train in Texas already!<br><br>They sometimes seem to have &quot;late&quot; information. I would keep bugging them on it. It has to come from Saltillo to Texas to be put on a train, which in my case occurred within one day from rolling out the door to being on the train. Keep bugging them for a rail car number so you can track it via the RR company that is shipping her for you!<br><br>Chin up friend, it will show ;D ;D<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-14-2002, 04:06 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Boss Hog,<br><br>I was just tyin' another knot in your tail with my 10,??? feet. <br><br>In our business, Rise/Run = Slope (as in a roof system). Same difference. As long as you don't try and resurrect that Pythagorus guy we will be OK. ;D<br><br>9%Bob
Old 11-14-2002, 06:28 PM

FiverBob,<br> Heck, I thought you were one of those young guys working some of that new math on me . <br> I think I'm finally figuring out why I never ordered a vehicle before . . . the wait is killing me! I think I am to use to instant gratification. At least all the new Dodge Rams at work (3) are 1500's. Latter,<br>The Boss Hog
Old 11-14-2002, 08:35 PM

Seirra Cowboy:<br><br>Dc called me today and stated that my differential was the only complete failure they new about....either my regional customer service manager is being kept in the dark...or I am being fed the line. I must say I have faith in the regional service amnager...he seems genuine and very sympathic.<br>DC then called me to ask if I was towing a trailer at the time of the axle failure This was not the case. In any event...I am going to wait and see what DC comes up with.....then I will tell them about this form.<br>The vibration is still in the truck and I refuse to take the truck back with 550 miles on it.....needless to say I am getting Pi**ed off....this Saturady will be 2 weeks and I am no further ahead.<br><br>The problem in these situations is the beaucratic process...my regional service manager is on my side...DC HQ and their team of &quot;Experts&quot; wil not beleive the service manager, sales manager and technicians that there is a problem with this truck they cannot find and therefore they will not approve the replacement of the truck to this point.<br><br><br>I have faith in due process...but I am quickly running out of patience ???<br><br>take care<br><br>Wantabee
Old 11-14-2002, 08:45 PM

Boss Hog -

No offense intended.

You might live in the flat lands now, but you sure don't sound like a flatlander. What in the world took you out of Steamboat Springs? If that isn't God's country I don't know what is.

Honestly, I've seen more bone headed driving maneuvers on flat interstate than I have ever seen in the back country.

I have sure been thankful for the next helpful driver to come along when I have gotten in over my head.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:31 AM

Nevada,<br> None taken <br><br>As to why I left, I have the dubious distinction of being the only person to have graduated from Steamboat Springs High School and never learned to ski . Besides, since I moved to Florida, I have not had to shovel snow one time ;D ;D ;D<br>Latter,<br>The Boss Hog<br>
Old 11-17-2002, 07:14 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote author=The Boss Hog link=board=20;threadid=6962;start=15#67162 date=1037363463]<br>Nevada,<br> None taken <br><br>As to why I left, I have the dubious distinction of being the only person to have graduated from Steamboat Springs High School and never learned to ski . Besides, since I moved to Florida, I have not had to shovel snow one time ;D ;D ;D<br>Latter,<br>The Boss Hog<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>We sure have to shovel something else down here in Florida from all those imported flatlanders, though. <br><br>I really miss that snow, too Hog. ;D Not fun. Guess we will never know how the Cummins starts in the cold, will we?<br><br>Bob
Old 11-17-2002, 07:32 PM

Fiver , Boss, Nevada, Every week during the winter season we lose a few flatlanders. I'm sure most are nice peop on a person to person basis. They shore don't know how to dirve mountain roads during snow season. They come up mto God's Country in them Tahoes, Burbans, Expeditions. when the see the white stuff begin to fall they shift into 4x4 and put the pedal to the metal. After all with a 4 x 4 they are safe on the snow, Right? Anywho, they slip and slide until the slip into a big sugar pine. Paramedics try to save em but one or two in each vehicle don't make it. :'( :'(

Quick Reply: Ring & Pinion Gears Going Out-Low Lube Level Damage