3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Pac Brake Install Some Pictures and 1 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pac Brake Install Some Pictures and 1 Problem

Heres a link to the pictures and commentary on my install last Sunday. My only problem is that I can't get the seal between the brake and the turbo tight. There is a huge squeal/screech/teapot overboiling/loose powersteering belt noise that comes from the brake when engaged going down a hill. Man is it loud. I was going to buy a new clamp but holy cow they are expensive. I need some ideas on how to ensure the 2 surfaces are tight.
I'm kinda new to the board, and figure I could contribute to the group this way.
Thanks for reading.
I'll try to post the link here. If it doesn't work, I'll post the pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mv.matt1...y=Brg2vM7rTG8#
Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 AM

might sound silly but did you clean both surfaces real good? sometimes on motorcycles we have that problem, especially with full aftermarket exhaust systems.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 AM

Maybe try taking the exhaust side off, then loosening and retightening the turbo side.
I remember when I did mine I put the turbo side on first, then I had to push up on the exhaust with a bottle jack to get it to line up with the exhaust brake outlet, so if you tightened the exhaust side first it might be kinda pulling the exhaust brake down a little from the turbo side..?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 PM

Great idea. I might have done the exhaust side first. I'll take them off, clean the edges up and reinstall with the turbo side last......tonight. I can't take another day of having the thing installed and not being able to use it!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:49 PM

Okay, good luck.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:58 PM

No luck. Dam thing still whistling at me. I've ordered new clamps for both ends of the brake. Maybe they are worn and need fresh connections. i'm at the end of my rope. May have to take to the dealer to take a stab at it if new clamps don't do the trick. Any chance it could be something else along the line of the backpressure? the Turbo? etc??
Old 10-08-2008, 07:06 AM

Well that sucks, I can't see it being the clamps (bot I'm no expert).
Harold's a member here, he works at Pac Brake, I'll send him the link to this thread, maybe he has an idea.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:32 PM

Good News

I found the problem. The manifold nuts were loose. One nuts to the heat shield actually fell off and must be sitting on the side of the 5 freeway somewhere. The manifold nut was finger loose. I torqued up the nuts, retested the truck and now everything runs like it should! No more whistling!
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM

good job finding problem. Do you have a auto tranny? How do you like it so far? Just finished installing the pac brake in my truck, works great. Finding a few quirks about it though, warmup feature is suppose to activate and hold until 1000rpms, mine doesn't, disengages at about 900. Definitly won't work with manual high idle(1100 start rpm). Don't know how some guys drive with it on all the time though. In city it locks the TC at 50kmh 1200rpms if forget to lockout OD. Read somewhere not to use the brake when in overdrive stresses the overdrive clutches when engaged, does anyone know if this is true? What does everyone else do? Never used one before so just looking for insight. Sorry mvdiesel is this appears to be a hijack, but you were talking of the pac brake.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by GreyTD
good job finding problem. Do you have a auto tranny? How do you like it so far? Just finished installing the pac brake in my truck, works great. Finding a few quirks about it though, warmup feature is suppose to activate and hold until 1000rpms, mine doesn't, disengages at about 900. Definitly won't work with manual high idle(1100 start rpm). Don't know how some guys drive with it on all the time though. In city it locks the TC at 50kmh 1200rpms if forget to lockout OD. Read somewhere not to use the brake when in overdrive stresses the overdrive clutches when engaged, does anyone know if this is true? What does everyone else do? Never used one before so just looking for insight. Sorry mvdiesel is this appears to be a hijack, but you were talking of the pac brake.
I don't have the PacBrake, but I have the Jacobs and I use it to slow down from any speed, be it in over drive or just in 3rd. Sometimes I'll drive with it engaged, but only if I'm about to accelerate to a speed that is above where it shifts into overdrive, which for me is 43. It'll give you faster acceleration with less throttle used. Hope you get your cold idling figured out, it really helps alot if the truck hasn't been plugged in over night on a cold evening. Mine nevers gets plugged in and I let it idle for about a minute before driving off and it acts like it has been plugged in. Over all I'm am happy and pretty pleased with it.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:20 PM

I think it is going to save me a lot in brakes. I've only used it around town, and in So Cal it doesn't ever get too cold here to use the warmup feature, but I did anyway cause I am happy to have it. It seems to hold rpm at 750 for me. Its really nice how the brake interfaces with the ECM (engine control module) to know when to turn off and on. It sounds like a Mac truck when slowing. Definetly a great investment. I'm taking the family camping in Big Bear this weekend and will see how that brake holds up comind down...
Old 10-26-2008, 04:22 PM

Got as far as compressor, tank, and switch today....just need to do elbow and ecm and I'm done. your pics helped!

the switch instructions threw me off cuz they said white on top, black on bottom. I went with the wiring diagram; black on bottom, white on mid...and confirmed with meter.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:20 PM

I'm glad my pictures helped. I think that is the easiest improvement to make to the truck. I touched my brakes 3 times coming down from 5000' with a #10000 trailer.

If there are other easy performance items I could add I'd love to know about them!