3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need help! Frustrated with my truck... Wont run!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. Ya'll are awesome!

I'm gonna get on it again when I get home today to make sure I've covered it all.

I did the key method - it just said done the 3rd time when I left the key on - No codes. I will do it again just to verify.

How do I drain the fuel?
(sorry if a silly question, I've never drained fuel other than from the fuel filter canister)

Also, will the code scanner work if the truck isnt running?

Lastly, I did check the oil - Oil level good and does not appear to have any diesel in it (thank goodness).

I looked over everything but will take some time and follow lines, wires, etc and see if I can find anything. Otherwise, a haul to the shop...
I will certainly let ya'll know the outcome.
Thanks again!
Sara
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Ok, if you didn't get any codes like that, then nothing set a CEL or hard codes. It may just be C-codes, but that won't tell me anything.

You'll have to take the filler neck off the top of the tank and siphon, or drop the tank. I prefer to take the bed off rather than dropping the tank... let me know if you're interested in that, I'll give you instructions. You'll need four strong-ish people to help you get the bed off.

I wouldn't worry about the scanner if you're not reading any codes from the odometer. The OBDII reader Dodge had will, but that's not autozone material. They just have the cheap ones.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM

Cool, I dont know about taking off the bed LOL, unless it's easier than it sounds!
I'm gonna hit it when I get home and will let ya'll know how it goes!
Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Ok.

For me, taking off the bed to mess with the fuel tank made things a lot easier... dropping the tank is a pain, when the bed isn't there you can unhook everything and work with the tank still on the frame. If you drop it, it's easier to work around all the bs. Just my .02.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:24 PM
MTC

Did you get your issue figured out? If so, what was the fix?
Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 PM

I'm sure that many will disagree with me but I would get someone to crank it over while you spray just a little starting fluid in the air intake. If it cranks or tries to it's not getting fuel. next break an injector line & spin it. If it's getting fuel to the line it could be a fuel tube not seating. All the fuel will bypass.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 PM

As far as lifting the bed goes, you will need to disconnect the filler neck from the bed at teh fuel filler door. Without looking, (blind guess) there will be three or four small bolts or screws that secrure the filler neck to the bed side.

From there, you will need to remove probably 6-8 bolts that hold the bed to the frame. These will most likely be Torx head bolts that can be accessed from inside the bed of the truck. If the heads are not visible, they attach from under the bed. If you have a hitch plate that attaches to the frame that bolts through the bed, you will need to unbolt it too.

The entire bed does not need to come off. If you loosen the last two bolts in the bed (one each side) and remove the rest, you can raise the front of the bed (like a dump truck) enough to access the top of the tank where the sending unit is. Two people can lift the front and then prop it up with a 2X4. This sounds like a lot of work, but it is still easier than dropping the fuel tank.

-Joe
Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM

Watching to see what the issue is
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Talking ****Problem Resolved!****

Hey all! Sorry it's taken me so long to post. I just got so frustrated with it, I quit messing with it for a while. So finally had it towed to the shop yesterday....

Drum Roll Please..... A/C compressor!

The A/C compressor completely froze & locked up. My a/c had been cutting in and out, and I planned on fixing it but with the amount of $$$ I've already put into it, it was winter and figured I'd put it off till summer...

So, it was locked up and dragging it down.

I want to thank ALL of you for your help! I certainly learned a few things here!

Now my only delimma is to keep it or sell it... It's bascially a new truck! LOL!

Sara
Old 02-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

WOW! I can't believe that's what was wrong with it... :O

I'll be putting that one in the tool box for sure!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:00 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

My oh my.....how easily we tend to overlook the simple things. We kinda overshot that one huh?