3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Long Crank STILL

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Crank STILL

Truck has been to the dealership three times for long crank and white smoke. They are locating me a truck and they are going to take mine back, but with all of the problems (others with long crank issue) I am hearing, don't know if that will fix it either.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:38 PM

Hey good luck, let me know what they come up with for you, as i have the same problem, only been in once, been to busy to worry about it. My check engine light came on once as well, but went away after i shut the truck off and restarted (5 min.). I heard their was supposed to be a new flash to solve it, but i doubt it actually works, that what fords answer was to all of my 6.ohno problems, "well we reflashed it and everything works great now" and then it caused 6 new problems. I don't understand why the 03-05's are fine but they can't seem to make an 06 start right, makes alot of sence. Seems to me they would know these trucks inside and out after 3 almost four years of production. Good luck with your new one if that is what you end up doing.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:16 PM

Have the dealer check out the crank sensor.If that fails it will cause long cranking times,& white smoke on start up.Essentialy the engine will fire up on the cam sensor,& run pretty good.But the ECU will have to guess as to what the crank timeing is.Sometimes it will guess right & it will start fine.The other half ,it will guess wrong,& have to rethink it's timeing to get started.May be a faulty signal to the ECU for the crank sensor.It should set a code too.But might not every time.Good Luck.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:40 AM

I have an occational long crank on hot days and with a hot engine, such as restarting after a fill up. Maybe 10% of the hot starts at most. It this the long crank issue guys have been discussing? I don't notice white smoke.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 08:08 AM

how long is a long crank? 5 seconds, 10?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:50 AM

I have had numerous problems with mine in that respect. Long crank time, smoking, very hard shut down, rough idle after the long crank time.........ect!!!

Been to the dealer 7 times..............................we are negotiating their "final attempt" at fixing the truck before they do a buy back.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:16 PM

I crank for about 20 seconds, wait about five, crank about 20 seconds, wait about five, crank for 20 seconds then it starts and blows white smoke like crazy. Dealer called me today and said they have "the cure" from the engineers at DC, I can't get my truck in until the 5th for them to work on it on the 6th. They located a new truck and have it sitting on the lot and said if this "cure" doesn't work then I will be taking the new one home. I am going to drive about 2000 miles over the long weekend, so I guess if this doesn't fix it then at least the extra miles will be on "their" truck and I will get a new one and start from zero (approx) on the mileage. They also offered to pay all the title fees on the new one which is something I wasn't expecting. My dealer has been more than accomidating, (family has bought 6 CTDs in the last 2 months from same dealer) so I feel it is only right to give them one last stab at it. I will keep you posted on the results.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ColdCase
I have an occational long crank on hot days and with a hot engine, such as restarting after a fill up. Maybe 10% of the hot starts at most. It this the long crank issue guys have been discussing? I don't notice white smoke.

Thanks
I have the same as u do, but the longest mine cranks is about 3-4 seconds then fires up!