3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift pump and fuel levels

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift pump and fuel levels

When I picked up the '06 QC long bed last night, the fuel low light was on and the needle didn't budge off the peg, typical. Went to Hess and topped it up with 31.5gal, and some Stanadyne so here are my questions:

1. Does the low fuel light normally come on with 3.5 gal of fuel? I'd have figured somewhere around 2, but I'm a newbee! On my UH1-D, the 20 minute fuel light meant 20 minutes, period!

2. If the fuel screen was partially plugged or sucking some air wouldn't the engine have been running rough?

3. Does this mean my lift pump is OK................for now?

The 22 mile trip home was uneventful with the mileage liar indicating 19.5 MPG, highway.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 PM

I usually have about 3-4 gals left.
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge between the filter and CP pump? If not, it's hard to say why it was running rough. Q3 could be answered with the gauge as well.
I don't usually drive very far at all when the light comes on, and very seldom do I let it go that far. I try to keep mine above 1/4 tank left...
Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Engine wasn't running rough. I was asking if the screen was partially plugged wouldn't the engine be running rough if the fuel level was that low? It runs fine. No, I don't have a FP gauge but it probably should be one of the first I get. Since I'm running bone stock, I have time to plan what to do first rather than plugging holes.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The owners manual states the light comes on with 15% of the fuel remaining, or approx 5.25 gallons. I'd buy thats pretty close based on personal experiance. Also based on personal experiance the OE setup really pulls fuel well from an empty tank. I had an issue with fuel and closed fuel stations this spring and made it about 10 miles past the sender staying steady on 0 (OBDII reader), the DTE had been 0 for 30+ miles, and the light had been on for 60 miles. I was also towing a TT. My fuel pressure never hiccuped, I didn't fill it full as the fuel was .50c more than 20 miles away, but it was far emptier than I have ever had it and I have put 33 gallons in a few times.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:35 PM

I did the vent mod on the tank when I replaced my lift pump. I ran the truck until the low fuel light came on then used the old lift pump, which was getting weak, to drain the tank. It still had 7 gallons in it.

Sur5er, I flew the UH1-H in Viet Nam. Had one situation that required me to fly until I was almost out of fuel. Was in formation with 6 troops on board and some equipment. Told the co-pilot that I was sitting it down if the fuel guage needle quit moving. Made the field but could not stay in formation as I was out of balance. Could not slow down enough. The stick was in my lap, had to break formation and used the strip. Made a running landing at 20 knots. Kicked troops off then hovered to refueling.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 PM

Ah, yes. Beating the air into submission.................and for my anemic D Model it was a fight for flight! Something new and different every day. I was a CE in 66-67 with C/227. We were very happy to get her off the ground with an ACL of 6. 5 if we had more than a half a bag of gas. Point me in the right direction for the vent mod.

Welcome Home

P.S. Somebody move the battery up front, did they?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:57 PM

The battery was up front. I was with A troop, 3 Squadron 17 Air Cav. in 1970. Welcome home for you too.

The vent mod was easy once the tank was down. Some say remove the bed but I have a 5er hitch which made that more difficult. I picked up a bulkhead fitting, an ell 3/4 thread to 3/4 hose, and a 3/4 plug for hose at a local plumbing store. I used the black nylon fittings and soaked the fittings and gaskets in diesel for a week to see if there was any chance that the fuel would soften or swell them. I got a length of 3/4 fuel hose from NAPA and a few hose clamps. All parts were about $10. There are mod kits available for a few $ more and there are links with pictures available on this forum.

Once the tank was down I removed the sending unit and was carefull not to damage the gasket. Before removing I marked the ring so that I could get it back on at the same position or just slightly tighter. I cut and plugged the vent hose on the tank and used a hole saw to drill the hole for the bulkhead fitting in the very top of the tank in a flat area. YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU WILL HAVE CLEARANCE FOR THE FITTINGS BEFORE YOU DRILL THE HOLE. I placed a cool whip bowl inside the tank to catch the cuttings. The cool whip bowl will bend enough to get it inside the tank. Install the bulkhead fitting then the ell and attach the 3/4 hose and re-install the sending unit.

I used the lift pump to empty the tank and put a longer hose on the filter drain to fuel container(s). I had 7 gallons in the tank after the fuel low light came on. Cycle the pump by tapping the starter but do not start. Pump will run for about 30 seconds. Repeat as necessary till empty.

Now when fueling, when the pump clicks off my tank is full into the neck.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by papaduck

Sur5er, I flew the UH1-H in Viet Nam. Had one situation that required me to fly until I was almost out of fuel. Was in formation with 6 troops on board and some equipment. Told the co-pilot that I was sitting it down if the fuel guage needle quit moving. Made the field but could not stay in formation as I was out of balance. Could not slow down enough. The stick was in my lap, had to break formation and used the strip. Made a running landing at 20 knots. Kicked troops off then hovered to refueling.
I was with 5th group SF at the time you were "Pulling Pitch" in country and recall a similar ride myself, would not surprise me to learn I was one of those 6 in back that day....... Small world just seems to get smaller everyday

Thanks for the ride or rides
Old 12-01-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I was with 5th group SF at the time you were "Pulling Pitch" in country and recall a similar ride myself, would not surprise me to learn I was one of those 6 in back that day....... Small world just seems to get smaller everyday

Thanks for the ride or rides
Welcome home Lary Ellis.

The troops I had on board were from my own unit. I was lift platoon leader and had controll of 8 lift ships, the crews and one platoon of ground troops. Was devirted to pick up a weapons cash our scouts had found, causing me to be low on fuel. Never thought that being very low on fuel could change the balance of the ship. Not a fun situation.

But it is a small world.