3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

HELP please! leak in fuel line near filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP please! leak in fuel line near filter

I'm about to tow my 7,000lb trailer from AZ to NC. I was under my truck today looking around and noticed a good amount of diesel fuel on the back of the front diff.

I stopped by a dealer and they said it's the blow off tube...the thing that releases energy, exhaust and whatnot from the process of combustion. Then I went to a diesel only shop. he looked at the truck and immediately noticed something.

from the fuel filter housing there's a small metal tube that curves around, connects with a black colored fitting, and then follows the fuel liine to the fuel pump (i have the retrofit kit) which is located in the fuel tank.

anyways, the fuel seemed to be leaking from the fitting. Can I replace the fitting, or a seal in the fitting. The fitting seemed to be part of the fuel line so i'm hoping that there is a small seal or something in the fuel line that can be replaced...instead i may have to drop the tank and replace the whole line, from the filter to tank.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by icrider
I'm about to tow my 7,000lb trailer from AZ to NC. I was under my truck today looking around and noticed a good amount of diesel fuel on the back of the front diff.

I stopped by a dealer and they said it's the blow off tube...the thing that releases energy, exhaust and whatnot from the process of combustion. Then I went to a diesel only shop. he looked at the truck and immediately noticed something.

from the fuel filter housing there's a small metal tube that curves around, connects with a black colored fitting, and then follows the fuel liine to the fuel pump (i have the retrofit kit) which is located in the fuel tank.

anyways, the fuel seemed to be leaking from the fitting. Can I replace the fitting, or a seal in the fitting. The fitting seemed to be part of the fuel line so i'm hoping that there is a small seal or something in the fuel line that can be replaced...instead i may have to drop the tank and replace the whole line, from the filter to tank.

I believe what you're referring to is a " dorman quick connect fitting " It can be fix but, you'll probably have to cut the old one off. I'm pretty sure it's pressed onto the line.

Here's a repair kit to give you an idea. You can probably get this stuff for a auto parts store. The problem is you also have to have the tool to do the work.

http://www.autobarn.net/mom800300.html

Be careful when messing with these fittings. Their plastic and if you try to remove them the wrong way, they break very easily.

I hear you about the seat warmers. The problem with those though.... they don't heat up until you're 5 minutes down the road. I don't know about anyone else's but, mine don't even heat up until the grid heater is done... likely for obviously reasons.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:17 PM

got the issue resolved. from looking under the truck up into the engine bay it was clear that it was the fitting connecting the fuel line to the fuel filter.

I brought it to the dealer, they pulled it off and replaced a gasket.

If anyone finds themselves with this problem it's not a huge issue.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:07 PM

i have this same problem. started a few days ago. is there a kit to get rid of these fittings. and go with push lock or even rubber fuel line and hose clamps.
i dont know how much pressure is in the supply line to the filter.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ripping r
i have this same problem. started a few days ago. is there a kit to get rid of these fittings. and go with push lock or even rubber fuel line and hose clamps.
i dont know how much pressure is in the supply line to the filter.
If you had a pressure gauge you would only see about 9-10psi. It is more than likely the seals on the banjo bolt. There are two on each side
Old 12-31-2009, 09:36 PM

are the seals just o-rings. if it is the line. with just 9-10 psi. i think i'll just get rid of the quick connecters. it's only wet buy quick connecter. the banjo is dry.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It could be running down to the quick connect.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:51 PM

cleaned it up it is the quick connect. does anybody know if there is an o-ring in there. or do you have to replace the whole supply line back to the tank.