3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Leak Near Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Leak Near Filter

I have a fuel leak close to my fuel filter. I think that it is coming from either the supply or return line from the tank. The truck has the in-tank lift pump.

While driving today, I heard a pop sound, didn't know what it was. When me and the wife got to the mall, I noticed a small drip under the truck. We did our business at the mall and then drove home(about 5 miles). The truck started and ran just fine.

When I got home I crawled under the truck and the back of the front diff, and the frame was wet the dripping from a couple of places was diesel. I got mad and went in the house for a while to calm down...

I finally went back out the looked under the truck without it running and all was good, no fresh dripps. Then started the truck and immediatly the fuel was flowing again. I tried to follow where it was coming from and I think it is coming from the supply or return line.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to further trace the leak?

BTW, when it rains, it pours. We just had a bad storm friday and got about quarter sized hail. We got about $3500 in hail damage on our cavalier.

I guess the only good thing happening is that my wheels/tires will be in on thursday and my stacks will be in sometime soon as well

Hobbz
Old 08-18-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, just a suggestion !!! Have you checked the oil level??? If it is a failed injector you will smell diesel in the cab as fuel will come out the vent pipe at the rear of the engine. If oil level is high probably a cracked/bad injector. If under 100K should still be under Cummins engine warranty. 5 years 100K no deductable, 7yrs under 100k $100 deductable. The dealer should not charge under the 7/70 $100 deductable for injectors though as it is under the engine warranty.
If not over full on oil maybe a cracked return line, but remember that there is very high fuel pressure around the rail area and you do not want to feel around with your hands to try to find a leak, use a piece of cardboard or something like that and see what you can find.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:23 PM

yeah, i forgot to mention that i checked with cardboard around all the high pressure lines already. I will check oil level again in the morning, but wouldn't oil/diesel mix be coming out if that was the problem. My leak is pure diesel, no oil at all mixed with it.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When my injectors went south yes the fuel was somewhat oiley. First one I drove about 20 miles to dealer not knowing it was an injector so by that time I went thru 8 gallons of diesel of which probably 6 were in the crankcase. It is worth looking at the oil level and if at normal height then start tracing the fuel lines.

How about the fittings on the rear of the fuel filter or maybe a leaky gasket on the filter? Again just quick thoughts....
Old 08-18-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the bottom of the FF canister there is a banjo at the outlet. Make sure it's tight. On the back of the canister is where the fuel line should enter the canister. See if fuel is coming from there as well, like donhov said...
Old 08-18-2007, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my transfer pump moved to in tank, and after about 200 miles on the highway I smelled diesel. So, stopped and took a look and fuel all over the place.

Turned the key on (as lift pump will run for 25 secs) and both connections around the back side of the fuel filter were leaking. Turns out 1 new hose was not crimped and did not have a clamp installed.

The leak was so bad Road Side had to send a tow truck.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:24 AM

I finally got to look at it today and it looks like the fuel return line...