3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

external tranny filter and cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
external tranny filter and cooler

Ive decided to change routes and make my truck tow worthy instead of all speed. I am ordering my fluidyne enduro cooler ( little pricey but worth it ) and was wondering if any one has put on an external filter for the tranny, and what there .2 cents were. I found this kit at summit racing and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? It is a perma cool 10678. it says fits all applications and uses a PH 8A filter. I want to discard the stock cooler, mount the new one under the truck with an external filter and have a little less worries about my tranny.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why?

Are you having cooling problems now?

Its always much more effective to address the source of the problem than bandaid the symptoms. The factory system is pretty darn good overall. The help is needed in the TC and VB area.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 PM

I have the sun coast VB and TC triple disc, just wanted to cool it down a little and yes in town my tranny will get over 190, to hot for my taste.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:58 PM

Are you planning to bypass the radiator?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dott
Nothing in the radiator to cool the transmissions.

Operation temps on ATF+4 run about 140-240, your 190 around town sounds pretty normal, pan or hot line.

Since you already have a VB with raised pressures assumed, you could make sure the check valve is gone and add another cooler back under the bed for extra help. Its doubtful at the temps you are seeing it will run much unless you get a relatively low thermostat.

Filtration is never a bad thing, just tricky sometimes. The cooler return is your trans drive train cooling and lube supply. You want to make sure that flow is always at the max for long trans life. The only effective way to do that is a secondary pump sourcing and returning to the pan.

Its adding complexity and possible failure points but its doable. Depends on whether you believe the percieved benefit is worth the $$ and effort.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 AM

There is antifreeze cooling the trans cooler though right? There must be since when the engine temps go down the trans temps do also....

My stock trans is about the same as yours and I just ordered a slim BeCool electric cooling fan to mount in front of the condenser to help keep things cooler. Seems easier than what you are planning......
Old 10-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
There is antifreeze cooling the trans cooler though right? There must be since when the engine temps go down the trans temps do also....
The heat exchanger has the fluid to fluid cooler in it. The trans uses the engine coolant as a heat sink or heat source depending on its temp.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by dott
Planning on removing the stock cooler from inside the mess of other coolers in front of the radiator. I live in yuma ( Hellazona ). Temps in summer are pretty high, Tje reasoning for the Fluidyne cooler is just to help me feel better about my tranny temps. I just put $ 2400 in to tranny and want to keep things as cool as possible.. Really appreciat eeveryones input.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Nothing in the radiator to cool the transmissions.

Operation temps on ATF+4 run about 140-240, your 190 around town sounds pretty normal, pan or hot line.

Since you already have a VB with raised pressures assumed, you could make sure the check valve is gone and add another cooler back under the bed for extra help. Its doubtful at the temps you are seeing it will run much unless you get a relatively low thermostat.

Filtration is never a bad thing, just tricky sometimes. The cooler return is your trans drive train cooling and lube supply. You want to make sure that flow is always at the max for long trans life. The only effective way to do that is a secondary pump sourcing and returning to the pan.

Its adding complexity and possible failure points but its doable. Depends on whether you believe the percieved benefit is worth the $$ and effort.

Thanks alot for this info, I was kinda curiose to the loss of pressure due to an external filter, I think for now the stock one will be just fine. I would really like to see temps stay at no higher than 180. My buddy has this cooler on his DTT tranny and for a while was drag racing almost every weekend (low 11 's )and never saw temp over 180 even driving it home after the drags, And it probably wouldnt hurt to remove the stock trans cooler uncongest the front of the truck a little either.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:15 AM

Isn't the trans cooler up beside the block on the driver's side? I'm pretty sure that's where mine is.....
Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Isn't the trans cooler up beside the block on the driver's side? I'm pretty sure that's where mine is.....
Heat exchanger is what you are referring to. The air to fluid cooler is up front sandwiched in with the rest of the coooling devices.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:12 AM

Got it.....