3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Everyone read this,,,you may have a shorted wire!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My AC wire was touching the tube, but it wasn’t chafing yet. Mine was only wrapped in electrical tape. It is interesting since this wire gets disturbed every time you change the oil filter. It may land in a different place when you do an oil change. If put some wire loom on it just in case.

Also don’t forget to check the yellow wire that comes out of the starter, this wire has a tendency to chafe on the starter bracket and cause no-start condition. You can see it from the driver’s side looking in through the wheel well. It is a PITA to get at, but I was able to put some wire loom on it as well.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:58 AM

I checked my truck today and it does not appear that my '06 (built 03/06)was immune to this problem. The wire was not wearing or even rubbing yet but it was not covered with the wire loom and just hanging loose. I will be putting the loom on it. I only got the one photo of the problem wire (thanks CRXsi) but from the photo I am 95% sure I am looking at the correct one.

I can't believe that a potential serious problem with a simple fix fell to page #4 of this section! It should be a sticky for a while.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Banned

if this is the wire I'm thinking of, mine has a little round plastic clip attached to the wire that slips over the end of a bolt to keep it in place and from rubbing on anything. Everytime I change the oil I have to dis-lodge it so I can get the oil filter off ... so it seems Dodge is aware of the problem from '06 on ... if I'm thinking of the same wire.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to check mine today. Since the middle of the summer I've been having an intermittent problem with a sudden and complete, but only momentary loss of power. It doesn't throw a code and two good mechanics have been unable to diagnose the problem. This just might be it.

It was difficult to confirm whether the wire had been chafing or not. I went ahead an put some plastic loom on it as a precaution. If my problem doesn't reoccur I guess I'll assume that was the cause.

Last edited by Det 1; 11-08-2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Update on post
Old 11-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mopard
if this is the wire I'm thinking of, mine has a little round plastic clip attached to the wire that slips over the end of a bolt to keep it in place and from rubbing on anything. Everytime I change the oil I have to dis-lodge it so I can get the oil filter off ... so it seems Dodge is aware of the problem from '06 on ... if I'm thinking of the same wire.
Mine has that same clip on the end of that small bolt....is that the "fix?" There is nothing to even retain it on there. I still think the wire could chaff and the loom is a good idea. Cheap insurance anyway.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by H8GAS
Mine has that same clip on the end of that small bolt....is that the "fix?" There is nothing to even retain it on there. I still think the wire could chaff and the loom is a good idea. Cheap insurance anyway.
I'm sure they do it this way so it's very easy to remove when changing the filter ... if they attached it people would complain cuz it was too hard to remove the filter. My clip is friction fit and no way could it ever fall off ... nor has it ever. Mine is perfect and no worries
Old 11-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Chapter President

I have power surge around 2200rpm and stops about 2800rpm. It only occurs when full throttle us used. When you gradually increase power it doesn't seem to do it. Or maybe I can't detect it.
Could the movement of the motor cause the wires to momentarily rub? When I say movement I mean when you go to full throttle the motor rolls to one side because of the torq.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:55 AM

If the wire was chaffed through the whole way it certainly could make contact at some times and not at others. With mine when I moved the wire away from the AC compressor you could see a definite line or wear mark from the edge of the compressor cutting/rubbing away at the insulation. It wasn't all the way through yet but due to the heads up I was able to insulate it well before it caused any driveability issues...and it definitely would have eventually.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:34 PM

Shorted wire check

Thanks to the heads up I got from this thread I checked my 05 QC, 6 spd today and found the taped wire rubbing on the AC line as explained in the initial post. The wire was routed over the top/front of the AC line, so I slipped a piece of wire loom over it and routed it behind/below the AC line so it wouldn't have a tendency to abrade itself. It appears that when the AC system was bolted on the engine at Chrysler the wire wasn't routed properly and no one caught it. I'm glad Bad Rammer Jamer posted this as I absolutely HATE the reliability issues electronic control has brought to our beloved Cummins. It is posts like this that helps keep us on the road and out of the repair shop..............Lektrikman
Old 11-23-2007, 11:05 AM

I have neighbor with this problem Is there anyway to repost the picture ? I cant seem to find the short thank you
Old 11-23-2007, 06:16 PM

It's on the previous page....
Old 11-23-2007, 08:30 PM

FYI I just noticed on neighbors truck at the pipe and air box connection the crossover battery cable was rubbing on the metal clamp and had worn a perfect line in the cable very UN noticeable but never the less it had
Old 12-08-2007, 04:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Recap...

QUICK RECAP....

AC HARNESS vs. ALUMINUM AC TUBE
SEE PHOTO PAGE 4

TRANS HARNESS vs. GROUND STRAP
Auto Trans hanging intermittently in 2nd gear - Trace trans harness to where it passes the ground strap... check for short or chafing.

STARTER WIRE vs. STARTER BRACKET
No-start condition - From driver side wheel well - Trace yellow wire from the starter as it passes the starter bracket... check for chafing.

BATTERY CABLE vs. INTAKE HEATER RELAY BRACKET
Check alternator/battery cable (between the battery & air filter box) where the alt/bat cable passes the steel bracket of the heater relay... check for short or chafing.

CROSS OVER BATTERY CABLE vs. AIR BOX PIPE CONNECTION
Check the crossover battery cable where it passes by the pipe and air box connection... check for short or chafing.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:30 PM

Add me to the list of affected trucks! Truck was acting crazy at around 2500 RPM's asked the questions and was guided to this post. I checked the wires and there they were all damaged and shorting out, fixed them up and truck is running like a champ.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Finally got around to fixing mine tonight with some plastic wire loom. No worries thou it didn't chaff the wire, yet, on my truck.

Quick Reply: Everyone read this,,,you may have a shorted wire!!