3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dumping waste motor oil into the fuel tank...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see a big gap in time for posts on here, I would love a follow up from people that have done it for any length of time what affects if any it had on their vehicle?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 AM

Previous truck went 300K miles and I upgraded from a reg cab to a quad and now getting close to 300k miles on this one. Truck has a 50/50 mix in it right now. Good filters are the key.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:00 AM

Acids in used oil

My only problem with used oil is the internal combustion engine generates acids which ultimately end up in the crankcase. I am not so sure that the added lubrication of the oil outweighs the potential damage which could be caused by the acids.

The ULSD fuel has reduced the sulfuric acid aspect but the combustion process creates a weak carbon based acid (not sure which one). This 'weak' acid can't be good for the fine tolerances of the HPCR fuel system.

New motor oil should not be a problem. ATF has some undesirable components in it that are not recommended in a HPCR fuel system.

JMTCW,......dogger
Old 08-23-2013, 07:30 PM

Did anybody run hydraulic fluid successfully?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:04 PM

Just DON'T!

I use to drive for a "Unnamed truck Co." (Hint- Their trucks had a BIG BLUEBIRD on the side of the trailer) Well they took a few, a few years ago, that came equipped with the Cummins ISX motor (Big brother to the ISB motor) well they tried the dumping the used oil in the fuel tank, well Cummins promptly refused to do warranty work, when they took them to Cummins for warranty work to the fuel system...

And if you wonder why I know, I drove one of the trucks that Cummins Great Plains in Sioux Falls, SD refused to Warranty...

Just DON'T DO IT!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 PM

I've run used motor oil for 3 years. Iput mine in an open top tank and heat it to about 260 to280 F.it gets the water out the run it through a centerfuge than Iadd 10%deisel to it pump it into my oil tank on my truck(1993 dodge cummins) through a spin-on 2mic. hydrolic filter. I use a preheater tank for my oil start tk. on deisel warm up switch to oil same on shut down back to deisel.I've had no!!! problems at all just smokes some thats all.There are concerns running hi concentrations of umo if it gets to thick it can break you ip and or coke your injectors I use a hydrometer to check my fuel and get it close to strait deisel.this system works for me. I've used all kinds of oil all!! kinds filter it good and you will be ok.the flash piont for oil is difernt than the combustable point(temp.).syinthetic I just mix it with reg. oil . They have been mixing umo to deisel at the pumps for years until thay had problems with emmisions thay are still doing it for marine engines.Mixing 10 or 15% to any diesel engine is probilty just fine.On new engines with a senser that see through the fuel it do'sent work to good I think GMC is the one.Reamamber the diesel engine was designed to burn penut oil.I got all my info from the diesel stop forum thay are a bunch of ford boys.I was sure glad to find you dodge guys great forum great info thanks
lubloy