3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dumping waste motor oil into the fuel tank...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gdh11
If the truck will burn it and I paid for it I would think it should be okay.
If it were only that easy. One thing is it can clog a Cat if the truck has one.
Two rulings by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) affect the practice of blending
lubricating oil with diesel fuel in the United States. First, on September 10, 1992, the Office of Solid Waste of
the United States Environmental Protection Agency determined that used lubricating oil was not classified
as hazardous waste. In addition, the blending of used lubricating oil with diesel fuel for burning in diesel
powered vehicles was determined to be an acceptable method for disposing of used lubricating oil (57
Federal Register, R 41583, September 10, 1992). Second, beginning October 1, 1993, diesel fuel used in
motor vehicles, as defined by the EPA, in on-highway applications must contain less than 0.055 percent
sulfur by weight (Mandated in Section 211 of the 1990 Clean Air Amendments; 57 Federal Register, P.
19535, May 7,1992). Fuel blended with lubricating oil must also meet this specification.
So how do you know you meet the requirement?
Cummins allows the blending of lubricating oil with fuel used in their engines, except those equipped with an
oxidation catalyst, often referred to as a catalytic converter (such as 1994 M11's and 1994 C8.3's used in
urban transit buses, and 1994 B5.9's and C8.3's used in automotive applications). Cummins permits a
maximum of 5 percent used lubricating oil to be blended with fuel. This helps to reduce operating costs and
aids in the disposal of used engine oil. Cummins'
recommendations for the blending of lubricating oil with fuel used in its engines have not changed; however,
if blended fuel used in motor vehicles, as defined by the EPA, in on-highway applications exceeds the
maximum sulfur content, United States federal law has been violated and penalties can be assessed.
I think Cummins says 5% as a safety limit to insure they are not recommending concentrations that would violate the law.
CAUTION
Engines equipped with an oxidation catalyst must not use fuel blended with
lubricating oil. The lubricating oil causes deposits in the catalyst which will plug the
catalyst and possibly cause higher emission levels and reduced engine performance.
CAUTION
Do not blend more than 5 percent used lubricating oil with the fuel.
The next statement is most likely due to the high sulfur content in those types of oils:
Do not blend
other used oils with fuel, such as transmission fluid, gear case oil, and so forth.
As an example, consider 50,000 gallons of fuel with a sulfur content of 0.04 percent by weight and
lubricating oil with a sulfur content of 0.5 percent by weight. Of this oil, 450 gallons can be blended with
50,000 gallons of this fuel and remain within legal limits for sulfur content in the United States. Margins must
be allowed for measurement errors.
Higher percentages probably work fine, just make more emissions.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 PM

Location: Different City each Week of the Year, Currently: Newtown Ct
yeah. what he said...
Anyways,,,
After changing the oil, i will put half into the tank, A gallon or whatever, on a full tank of fuel, run it, then change the filter. Turns it a nice BLACK color. Cool with my dark silver paint.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 PM

How about a 2-stroke mix? I heard gasoline will help clean your motor, and mixed with the oil you all are talking about,?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:31 PM

What a great thread, very informative! Glad there aren't to many nay-sayers here just shooting down the idea. Personally, Im too scared to dump old oil in my CR truck, but the old 84 benz 300SD is gonna get the oil treatment. Can they handle it too?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 AM

What about hydrolic fluid? I change the fluid in my tractor and have a 5 gallon jug hanging around... Could I add a little in my 05? That stuff is pretty expensive so if I could use it again, why not?

Thanks

Tim
Old 08-05-2008, 03:21 PM

The ? is longevity no trouble right now but what about 50,000 from now? I'm not knocking the idea but my truck cost way to much to be a test dummy to save 10.00 a tank at 5% mix. but hey if some can prove it's OK I'm in.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm testing WMO in my truck now. But I'm also filtering the crap out of it. Using a 1 micron filter and passing oil through it three times before the final filtration of .5 microns.

Just a little tidbit of info on just how fine the filtration is....

.5 micron is 500 nm (nanometer). The largest atom is around .5 nm

I'm running 2 gallons of WMO per tank. The engine does run smoother and quieter with the oil.

MikeyB
Old 08-06-2008, 03:23 PM

Mikey,

You need to show us some pics of your filtering rig.

garrett
Old 08-06-2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by garbri
Mikey,

You need to show us some pics of your filtering rig.

garrett
Nothing impressive. It's just a bag filter (1.5 gallon capacity) hanging over a 5 gallon container. Pour the oil into the bag and let gravity do the rest.

MikeyB
Old 08-06-2008, 07:39 PM

Last week I put 8 gallons of weo into the tank, just about filled it with what I had in the tank. Ran fine, just smoked a little more but had more power, then two days later started running like cr*p. I have been trying ever since to run alot of power source with fresh diesel to clear up the injectors. Today it finally started to run better, but still smokes like a locomotive. BTW I did strain the weo before adding it to the truck.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by rrod612
Last week I put 8 gallons of weo into the tank, just about filled it with what I had in the tank. Ran fine, just smoked a little more but had more power, then two days later started running like cr*p. I have been trying ever since to run alot of power source with fresh diesel to clear up the injectors. Today it finally started to run better, but still smokes like a locomotive. BTW I did strain the weo before adding it to the truck.
Did you check the fuel filter for sludge? Could coolant be mixed in with the oil?

What did you use to strain the oil?

MikeyB
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM

I straind it with a bag just like you did. The oil was from me and my Father's truck that has nothing in it but used oil. Did change the fuel filter and there was no sludge present.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 PM

1 micron filters?

Hmmm. Guessing 8 gallons is too much for the CR system.

My truck is running good with just two gallons, 5% ratio.

MikeyB
Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by MikeyB
1 micron filters?

Hmmm. Guessing 8 gallons is too much for the CR system.

My truck is running good with just two gallons, 5% ratio.

MikeyB
On several occasions, i've run 3 gallons WMO per tank without any issues in my CR, although 2 gallons is the actual ratio that Cummins approves of with their Centinel system. Not sure whether that has anything to do with what the Common Rail can deal with, more likely it is an EPA-derived "safe" number in order to not increase the emissions too badly. I think the main thing with the CR motors is not to increase the viscosity of the fuel so much that the CP3 starts having trouble.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:54 AM

Cummins recommends 5%. The EPA mandates 7% maximum.

My next test is going to be around 15%. Probably won't go higher than that.

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Dumping waste motor oil into the fuel tank...