Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Dumping waste motor oil into the fuel tank... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/dumping-waste-motor-oil-into-fuel-tank-204675/)

dieselnewbie 05-13-2008 11:47 AM

Dumping waste motor oil into the fuel tank...

Hey Folks,

I know this subject has been kicked around quite a bit already but I can't seem to find the specific answers to my questions, so I'll pose them here:

1.) Can I add waste engine oil to my 2004.5 CTD's fuel, and if so how much per 34 gallon tank?

Anyone here with 2004.5 doing it now?

2.) Do I need to filter/strain the oil before I dump it into the tank?

3.) Is it ok to add waste engine oil from small engines? Lawn mowers, snowblowers, generators, etc?

Thanks alot for any help on the subject.

DT.

Roperteacher 05-13-2008 11:50 AM

Not recommended on the common rails. Old 12V yes.. but these motors and Injectors are way to sensitive.

2500 05-13-2008 12:04 PM

97 12 valve here.... running 50% motor oils ... power is up and mileage is up..

loads of folks are asking same question.... has anyone actually tried it?

supersonictoys 05-13-2008 12:18 PM

seems to me you would be running microscopic metal fragments , bearing materials, cast iron bits, carbon , all through your injection pump. seems rediculous to me to even consider it. why sacrafice a your expensive injection system just to save a couple bucks on fuel?

dieselnewbie 05-13-2008 12:29 PM

That's why I'm asking.

Many people do it in older 12 valve models but there's not much data on the subject for the later model CTD's like mine.

I have read that manually filtering/straining WMO ( waste motor oil ) before dumping it in is a good thing to do, and what that process missed the fuel filter would catch.

I wouldn't risk damaging my CTD fuel system, again, it's why I'm askling.

It would just be a convienent way to dispose of the WMO I have from my extensive collection of small engine appliances.

Saving money on diesel is not a consideration.

DT.

Originally Posted by supersonictoys (Post 2080675)
seems to me you would be running microscopic metal fragments , bearing materials, cast iron bits, carbon , all through your injection pump. seems rediculous to me to even consider it. why sacrafice a your expensive injection system just to save a couple bucks on fuel?

cdennyb 05-13-2008 01:09 PM

My oil is filtered and if I send in the sample and it still has all that contamination in it, why would I want to run it thru a $2,000+ injection pump and injectors. I don't care if diesel goes to $5/gal. the motor oil stays on the dusty dirt road.

gdh11 05-13-2008 01:18 PM

I run a FASS and do put used oil in my tank and I have done it pretty much since I have owned the truck and have had no problems.

radshooter 05-13-2008 01:36 PM

I posted this exact topic on TDR the other day, and the concensus was not to do it with the HPCR unless you can run it through at least a 2 micron filter first. Even then, they were not crazy about it on the 3rd Gen motors.

DBLR 05-13-2008 02:09 PM

I don't like the price of fuel but I sure can see putting WEO in my tank just to save a few $$ being I a HPCR engine. But if you want to do so go for it as I don't have to pay for the repairs.

plessm 05-13-2008 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by cdennyb (Post 2080727)
My oil is filtered and if I send in the sample and it still has all that contamination in it, why would I want to run it thru a $2,000+ injection pump and injectors. I don't care if diesel goes to $5/gal. the motor oil stays on the dusty dirt road.

What about 8 to 10 months from now when diesel is $7 per gallon? At the $0.50 increase per day that oil per barrel is going, it won't be long.

sdaly 05-13-2008 04:49 PM

I've just started trying this. I started out with new 2-stroke oil, then tried some fresh 10W30 motor oil, then tried 10W30 waste oil that came out of my ATV's, dirt bikes, generators, lawnmowers, etc. I started with these because the oil is so clean coming out of these machines--still a nice amber color. It has all burned great so far! I only poured 1 gallon to a full tank of diesel though. I just filtered another gallon of 10W30 last night (running it through old t-shirt) and I'll be pouring another 2 gallons of 5W30 from my wife's car soon. When I do my CTD's next oil change, all 3 gallons will go in the tank.

bigdave 05-13-2008 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2500 (Post 2080661)
97 12 valve here.... running 50% motor oils ... power is up and mileage is up..

loads of folks are asking same question.... has anyone actually tried it?

You're not actually saying that your running half used motor oil in each tank of fuel are you?

hivoltage 05-13-2008 09:22 PM

Seems like I've read somewhere that Cummins ok's waste oil at 5% just like bio diesel. I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I've seen it in writing.

67HotRod 05-13-2008 09:57 PM

I'm running it in my 01. Its strained after sitting in a 55 gal drum for a while. I added a 2micron spin on filter to the truck, right out of the fuel tank. I've run 50/50 mix and pulled the boat and camper without a problem. Smells a little, and smokes a little more. But it has cut my fuel cost in half. I commute 120 miles a day.

2500 05-14-2008 01:25 AM

yup... that's exactly what I'm saying.
currently running. 50% 15/40 virgin motor oil (ran into a deal on bulk oils) have run high as 65% waste motor oil. plan on running it higher % yet.

only difference so far is engine runs smoother with better fuel mileage.
I did reset my timing to 16.5 degree and readjusted all valves before starting adding waste motor oils.

some performance and mileage increase may be due to those two factors.

after I run motor oils for a bit to satisfy myself that there's no problems doing so. plan is to switch to ATF.

ATF is what I'm planning on running in the winter, due to lower viscosity.

Originally Posted by bigdave (Post 2081283)
You're not actually saying that your running half used motor oil in each tank of fuel are you?