3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

When I change my oil can I dump the waste oil into the gas tank?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I change my oil can I dump the waste oil into the gas tank?

This would save me a trip to the oil dump place.

I've got 3 gallons of PB 15-40 and one gallon of 10-30 mobil 1 synthetic in a 5 gallon bucket.

Maybe I can just dump it in and make my fuel around 10-15% waste motor oil?

Would this hurt? Maybe I can do it one or 2 tanks before changing the fuel filter?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on an older truck maybe but, with these delicate injectors dont know if i would take the chance. just my opinion
Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 PM

I agree with the Rich. On an older truck with lower pressure injection systems yeah you might be OK, but definitely not with the high pressure common rail injectors, no way. It's not worth the risk.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've run a a lot of waste oil and WAY old heating oil in my rigs. A lot. But I just can't bring myself to do it with my third gen. I also have run straight motor oil with little or no fuel at all. No problem ever. Most of it was an experiment that went on for years and a way to beat the system a bit while getting rid of the old oil. Twice it was to get into town after running out of fuel late at night.

Having said that, I've asked repeatedly for anyone to tell us about any damage they had from running it. And all I've gotten was silence. Seems a lot of us are worried about the third gen system, but have no experience with oil related trouble.

It's not really correct, I think, to say that it's OK on the older ones because they were low pressure. The mechanical injection system is very high pressure at the injector and at the injection piston in the pump. And they also have very close clearances.

Use your own judgement on running oil and be sure to tell us if you have trouble from running it.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:04 PM

Not on the 07.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:32 PM

Intuitively doesn't seem like that good an idea to dump all that waste back into such a high tech fuel system, however I feel otherwise about my early 60's vintage oil furnace, where it seems to work just fine.

I figure a few gallons of waste oil a year into a 500 gallon tank has got to be down in the noise - and at the price of furnace oil recently, kind of takes the sting out of the price of an oil change.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 PM

I drive truck for Chrysler Transport...formerly DaimlerChrysler Transport.
Our shop NEVER changes the engine oil. We have some type of device built onto the cab that periodically takes a small amount of engine oil and dumps it into the fuel tank. There is a 1 gallon tank on the back of the cab that has fresh, new engine oil in it to make up the amount that was dumped into the fuel tank.
I don't know the specs...quantity of dirty oil...how frequently it is exchanged.
These are Mercedes diesels in Freightliner tractors. Change the oil filters and keep on truckin'!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 PM

Thats an awesome set up. I read about that recently in minor detail.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:27 AM

I always dumped my waste oil from my Perkins right into the fuel tank on my boat and I've been told that many others do it to. My Isuzu NPR diesel used to get lots of it and my Mercedes diesel loved it. I got the best mileage ever while running waste oil in that car. Yummy. My 1st gen ran just the same clear up to 100% oil.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have done it in the past, but I filtered the WMO down to .5 microns before dumping into the tank. 1-2 gallons per tank.

MikeyB
Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
most folks have a pump & filter set up like Mikey, to purify it in the garage before they put it in the tank.

i ran it in my 04 all the time.

something broke in it, never did figure it out. but i doubt it was WMO fault.
but i took 10 gallons of WMO and ATF to local parts store for recycling last week.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 AM

yup, my buddy does it in his 12valve motor, those injectors look like garden hoses compared to mine.i won't do it, not for the very very little in saving you would benifit from it.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 AM

I would do it in my old 87 6.9. No way in my 06 HPCR CTD. Somewhat still on subject, if you did it in the Great Tax Tax Tax regulate inspect dip dip fine$ fine$ state Of NORTH CAROLINA, if they dipped you, and noticed anything different, they would ask for your "blenders" license, and then fine you 1000 bucks if you did not have the "license" to do it. Just happened to a DTR member.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by nelrod
I would do it in my old 87 6.9. No way in my 06 HPCR CTD. Somewhat still on subject, if you did it in the Great Tax Tax Tax regulate inspect dip dip fine$ fine$ state Of NORTH CAROLINA, if they dipped you, and noticed anything different, they would ask for your "blenders" license, and then fine you 1000 bucks if you did not have the "license" to do it. Just happened to a DTR member.
That's interesting. So they are not just checking for red dye, but any other differences too?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:16 PM

I run 2 stoke oil mixed in every tank. I use to use motor oil as well.

In my opinion. . . .the oil is not the issue. . . .I think the only issue would be the particulates in that old oil. . . .run it through a real good filter and let r rip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When I change my oil can I dump the waste oil into the gas tank?