3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

De-Carb, Injector cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
De-Carb, Injector cleaning?

My dealership wants to sell me a de-carbonization / Injector cleaning for a couple hundred bucks. Should I let them go ahead or is this just a fuel additive I can put in myself?

The truck is an '04 with ~100,000km on it (60,000miles).
Old 06-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Banned

just run powerservice or stanadyne with each tank, just a couple of ounces with 30 gallons does wonders. or hook up 10k lbs and run around for the weekend.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
just run powerservice or stanadyne with each tank, just a couple of ounces with 30 gallons does wonders. or hook up 10k lbs and run around for the weekend.
Tell it like it is brother!!!!
I agree!!!
Mike
###
Old 06-14-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Power Service and pulling heavy works great. My truck got somewhat noisey. Hooked up and pulled horse trailer to get hay and so on. Quiet as a mouse know. Get the EGT's up to 900-1000. Trucks like to be worked not babied.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't able to find any Power Service, but I bought a couple jugs of Stanadyne (performance formula). I'll start feeding her some of that and see what happens.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:50 PM

Your truck will like the Stanadyne. If you can get ahold of some of Schaeffer's SoyShield it will like that as well.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:37 PM

My engine has been getting loud and knocking for awhile now.. I finally found Sea foam injector cleaner and have been running in the last few tanks.. Stuff seems to be working good.. truck is quieting down alot... seem to run smoother down the freeway also..

Gerry
Old 06-15-2006, 09:26 AM

Should I run some Sea Foam as well as the Stanadyne, or do they accomplish the same thing?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:26 PM

For a quick fix with the Sea Foam, drain the fuel bowl, & refill with straight Seafoam.
Start the engine & run it hard. (It's probably best to warm the engine up a bit, first, before adding the Sea Foam & flooring-it.)

I've read that will quickly clean injectors.

The additives worked for me but, took awhile before I saw results. In my opinion, the additives do help.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 10-13-2009, 12:33 PM

Anyone use water injection for cleaning?
Old 10-17-2009, 01:15 AM

Talked to my service guy at the local Dodge dealership after they replaced the fuel filter located in the tank. Said it was restricted/dirty due to previous winter blend fuels. Earlier this summer I ran the tank down twice just to get the fuel fresh (usually fill the tank when its about half full). He said that's what did the filter in. I asked him what's the best way to prevent this from happening again. He had to take me outside to tell me. He recommended I purchase a can of octane booster (specifically the NOS brand due to its more 'pure' content) and add it to a full tank of fuel......after the fuel, due to wanting full strength solution to settle in trap area of fuel filler hose. Drive the rig normally until its down to a quarter tank. With the truck warmed-up, nail the throttle and run it WOT thru the 1st three gears. Said you might even see some flames out of the pipe. He said it will blow all the carbon and crap right of it. Also said the booster vaporizes/dissolves all the residual winter fuel additives out of the tank. The guy is a Master Mechanic, and owns two CTD rigs, w/ one heavily modified. Bought the NOS, and will use it after this winter. He advised me not to use it during cold weather, because it can freeze. My rig only has about 14000 miles, and is used mostly for longer trips w/ minimal weight towing...usually a drift boat or 2 four-wheelers. Anybody else do this?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Never heard that one before! If you try it, please come back and tell us the results.
Also do it at night and take video, just in case there are flames!!
Old 10-17-2009, 12:31 PM

Read your fuel additive carefully. If it is a water emulsifier (blends any water in the fuel more) do not use it, It if is a water dispersant ( actually seperates the water in the from the fuel) then use it.
Other than that use what ever additive that works for you. They are pretty much all the same.

As for winter fuel blends and making your filter plug off, I suspect you have crappy fuel from where that has particles in it that plugged it off. Not sure how they can blame winter fuel as it comes from the same factory as the summer fuel.

Think about where your tank strainer is located, near the bottom of the tank, think about suction and how it works it will draw the particles towards the strainer. With an empty tank you will get more sloshing around in the tank which will cause the particles to be washed away then sucked back to the strainer.

It is your truck put what ever you want into your tank.

NO do not buy the dealerships $200 decarbonizer. The only recommended way to decarbon your injectors is to remove them and clean them in a cleaner clleaning solution.
The best they will do with their cleaner solution is maybe clean around the holes, but if they are that carboned up they should be removed and let soak to break up all the carbon on the whole tip.

The holes will rarly get gummed up due to the pressure being excerted. Around the holes is the problem their cleaner will not effectivly clean that area well enough to justify the cost.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:43 PM

Add 1/2 bottle of Howe's Meaner Cleaner and hook it to a heavy trailer then drive it non stop for 5-6 hours to heat it up to clean off some of the carbon that may be on the tips.