3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

04 235 CARB Special Proformance Mod Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 235 CARB Special Proformance Mod Recommendations?

Hello,

I've got a 2004 with a 235 CARB Special (Cali Special), 48RE 4x4 quad Laramie. I am looking for some advice on the best bang for the buck proformance mods. I'd like more power and better mileage. Something tuneable would be great. I bought the truck a year and a half ago and have 34K miles on it. I tow a heavy off shore fishing boat, a 16' tandem axle 7K GVW equipment trailer, and a 12K GVW equipment trailer periodically. What is the best bang for the buck? I'd like to not void my warrantee if possible. Thanks for your help.

Brian
Old 02-16-2006, 07:51 PM

The standard output trucks respond really well to mods.

Best bang for the buck for an '04 is the TS MP-8 if you want adjustability. It has an infinitely adjustable ****, so you can dial up 10 horsepower or 100, or whatever you want in between.

If you're planning on going nuts later, it makes a great stack with a TST PMCR.

Another popular choice on DTR is the Quad Xzillaraider. I ran both the 100 and 140 horse models. They work as advertised, but you're stuck with three settings, and it is not compatible with other power adders other than downloaders or duration boxes.

Whatever you do, make sure you get an EGT gauge first at a minimum! Or just do what I should have done and buy the TST with R49 remote (includes cool-down timer, egt and boost readings) right off the bat. Kill two birds with one stone.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The best bang for the buck is the tone ring mod. Adds 2 degrees of timing and it's free! Do a search in this forum on how to do it.
Ignoring the warranty issue another bang for the buck is a used performance box, like a Van Aaken, Edge, Quadzilla, etc. Usually half the cost of a new one.

MikeyB
Old 02-17-2006, 11:56 AM

So many options?

There seem to be so many options.

DCLeary suggests
TS MP-8 that can be stacked with a TST PMCR (I'd also need gauges,etc...), the quadzillarator (also need gauges, etc..) or the TST with R49 remote (includes cool-down timer, egt and boost readings).

The TST is looking attractive as it has everything that I need all in one box.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these options?

and DCLeary are you saying that if you had to do it all over again that you would got he TST route?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:14 PM

Just make sure to note this line if you're gonna get a box

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Ignoring the warranty issue another bang for the buck is...
You will quickly start hearing "you are your own warranty station"
Old 02-17-2006, 01:33 PM

Well, I've tried several boxes, and I've settled on the two that I feel are the best.

If I wanted to have only about 100hp extra, and want to leave the truck stock (but still getting some gauges) I'd stick with the Ramifier.

If you're like me, and can never leave anything alone, it may serve you better to get the TST. But you can kill parts (Auto trans, clutch, turbo) very easily with the TST, so be careful. Self-control is of paramount importance.

The MP-8/Ramifier is a ten minute install if you don't mount the switch. If you pull the box and take your truck in for service, you still have gauges (or you can get a monitor) that are hooked up to the pyrometer in your exhaust manifold. No rules against having gauges.

If you have a TST and pull it, there will be a pyrometer or plug in the manifold with no gauges in the truck, so the service manager may want to take a closer look or accuse you of using a box. Plus it takes a long time to plug/unplug.

If you buy the Ramifier, it costs less up front. Plus you can always stack it later.

If you buy the TST, it costs more up front and looks like the "Atari" of power adders, but you'll never outgrow it. You may find yourself buying a Ramifier down the road anyway to get some off-boost fueling.

Either way involves the same amount of work time-wise. Ramifier and gauges, or TST and no gauges.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:46 PM

Great TCLeary, Thanks again. I think that I am leaning towards the ramifier and guages. Just got to get a deal on them now. I like the idea of being able to remove it if it goes in for repair. I just know that if I had the power of the TST at my fingertips, I'd destroy something or many things.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:22 PM

Hello, first post. I have a calif. SO also and was thinking of getting the Smarty when it comes out. Or the Quadzilla tow box(just looking for xtra umph when towing). Do you guys think it would be worth waiting and spending the extra $$ for the Smarty?
Also, does anyone have a clue when it might be available for the 03-? . The websight just says soon after the 98-02. And I know they have already been shipping those.