24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transimission and proformance problems after rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transimission and proformance problems after rebuilt?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic for my 99 Cummins in Salem, Oregon or near to it? My truck seems to be losing power and is getting poor mileage. The Salem dealer want $89.95 per hour and I really don’t known if this is a best place to take the truck to. I should say I am willing to take the truck further, say within 80 miles or so if necessary to find a real good shop. It is hard enough paying close to $100.00 per hour and then get ripped off by some dealer or mechanic shop.

Update:

Here is why I am considering taking my truck into a professional mechanic. Several years ago, I did a very stupid thing a burnt up my automatic transmission in my 99 Dodge Cummins at around 35,000 miles. Didn't put enough transmission fluid in it after servicing it. The professional transmission shop totally rebuilt the transmission, put in a shift kit and a larger transmission cooler. After getting the truck out of the shop, the wife and my sons that drive the truck mostly noticed that it just didn’t have the same amout of power off the line or get up and go as before the rebuilt. I noticed also that the truck wasn’t getting the same fuel mileage as before. The mileage dropped about three to four miles per gallon. Will, I must have taken the truck back to the transmission shop who rebuilt it a half dozen times or more complaining about this issue. Each time the truck checked out OK, electronics and mechanically.

Finally I took the truck to a different transmission shop and they told me that sometimes if the plates are not just prefect ( off a couple of thousands) you will get this above problem. Nothing could really be done he said unless I wanted to spend a lot of money to change it out. The truck wasn’t really that bad so I been living with it. I would just like to have my old truck back before I brunt up the transmission! I am talking about that I could almost squeal the tires from a stop with my 99 Dodge diesel before this trouble. The tuck now has 75,000 miles on it and wonder if this is something I just going to have to live with?

Thanks Chuck
Old 10-21-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How close are you to Vancouver, WA (SW part of the state)?

Dunrite converters is there and could help you with this problem.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Did you try the follwing? Start the engine and pull the gear selector to "1" and start out like that- if it pulls like it used to you have a 2nd gear start due to the higher pressures from the shift kit- ypu could also get the codes read and see if there are any pointing towards the tranny.

HTH

AlpineRAM