3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bully Dog Fried my ECM

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bully Dog Fried my ECM

Thanks for ADD!

Im reading this forum since long time but decided to log in now.

Here is what happened to me last week...

After reading a lot of good things about stacking BD with Edge Ez I decided to buy USED Bully dog power pup from local classifieds.
Price was right 50$ so I went to pick it up after work and of course - I wanted to try if its working..

I asked the guy if he is sure that BD is removed from his truck and he said yes so I plugged in to my truck and set performance tune - boom give me the power! well after few seconds I got the "error 203" and message on the BD "unplug and try again" so I did - no luck.

I told the guy that I dont want it and went start my truck - **** NO!
truck is cranking but no start.. everything seems to be working except starting the engine. Also I didnt hear lift pump working..
I tried unplug batteries etc no luck.
I had to leave my truck overnight and get my wife to pick me up (1hr driving from my place)
next day I came back and tried to call bully dog tech support to get this truck going somehow.
Guy on the phone said that they do not support these old units anymore and advise me to tow it to the dealer for a flash.

after 165$ for a towing I got my truck in a dodge parking lot.
After 20minutes service advissor came to see me and said that technician couldn't get a connection with my ecm so its pretty much fried - of course he offered me a new unit for 4300$. I had to refuse that offer as I Paid for my truck 6000$ 2 years ago.

after another 200$ for towing and I got my truck home. I did some research and found a guy in Ontartio who does repair Cummins ECMs for a 320$. I removed my ecm and sent it to him. Just got a call today that I will receive my unit back next week if they would be able to fix it..

so right now I'm pretty much screw.. no truck.

what I'm thinking is that during the downloading I could messed up my software so I may need to go and see dealer for a flash again.
Im ok with that but in case I need new ecm I dont know what should I do.

I found a ECM in BC for a 400$ (same year,transmission and engine) but I dont know if dealer could program it for me?

I found another ECM for a 100$ near my place but it came off 2003 AUTOMATIC so I'm not sure if this will works with my 03 H.O 6 speed.

Please guys any input is appreciate
especially guys who went thru same problems

I will keep posting

The company who is going to repair my ECM is called "SEKRA GLOBAL ELECTRONICS" unfortunately I couldn't find any reviews about them..

sorry for my spelling english is not my first language
Old 04-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Wow I thought our PCM's were expensive $4300 is crazy. Mopar remans are around $2500 then R&R + flash another $250. Don't you have AAA in AB? no charge for towing.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:47 PM

I got AMA towing insurance after all.. I currently waiting for a ecm so in case I need some flash I will use ama to tow it either dealer or local efi live guy
Old 04-06-2017, 09:29 AM

maybe that is why the guy was selling it, the unit was bad and now you found out the hard way.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by brdprey
maybe that is why the guy was selling it, the unit was bad and now you found out the hard way.

no I don't think so. The guy seems to doesn't know anything about programmersome,trucks and etc. Bully dog came in with the truck he bought last month. He didn't want to plug it in because of the high millage..

I could have a voltage drop or something like that.. I did programming while my door where wide open and radio on.. probably it was my fault at all. I'm trying to get my truck runing now somehow
Old 04-06-2017, 12:50 PM

thats class act of you buddy. most people would have flipped and blamed him. may karma bless you and assist you for your kindness.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
When you get your truck back consider EFI.
The EZ is a pressure box. Not a healthy longterm solution to anemic stock power.
EFI is designed to increase performance with engine longevity in mind.
The five position switch allows you to dial in the amount of performance enhancement.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:26 AM

When I talked to the efi guy he said I would get one tune for 425 $ so pretty much he would download a program that I have no control over it until I see him. So far I can't afford to buy anything over a grand to tune up my truck. I know that edge Ez isn't healthy and it's just temporary solution.

To be honest I'm now more stressed out about my not runing truck than anything else.. it was my daily driver. Sill need to wait around a week to get my ecm back from sekra global electronic
Old 04-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Just got the call from Toronto - my ecm is completely fine! The guy didn't find anything wrong with it. The dealer probably was trying to sell me new unit..

How come dealer couldn't get their scan tools connected if my ecm was fine?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Well somehow it wasn't able to comunicate with their scan tool. Must have an open in the circuit some where, possible in a connector.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by deere country
Well somehow it wasn't able to comunicate with their scan tool. Must have an open in the circuit some where, possible in a connector.
you mean my obd connector?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:48 AM

There's no chance the OBD fuse is blown, is there? It's unfortunately happened before that the fuse blows and the shop diagnoses it as an ECM
Old 04-12-2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by White02Sport
There's no chance the OBD fuse is blown, is there? It's unfortunately happened before that the fuse blows and the shop diagnoses it as an ECM
all my fuses are fine. I checked them 3 times already. The only bad one I found was a fuel heater fuse
Old 04-14-2017, 11:56 PM

Truck is still not running.. waiting for ecm and I'm going to tow it to the local diesel guru for a flash..