3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

again with newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
again with newbie questions

I think I’m about to make the leap to diesel. We bought a 1500 quad cab to tow our 20 foot Mallard trailer, and while the truck is up to the task, the poor thing is simply overwhelmed. The main reason I bought the little 4.7 was solo gas milage. I’ve been the big gasser route, having owned a 1990 F-250 extended cab 460 with a 9 ½ Northland camper in the back. But I digress. Rather than just get a bigger gas engine, I’d just as soon “bite the bullet” and buy probably my last truck. I drove an HO 6sp yesterday…wow….I had the sudden urge to climb over a Subaru at the stop light! : I notice that many of the forum members here have the HO 6spd (only seem to have spotted one SO Cummins w/5sp in a sig line).<br><br>So, my noobie question is this: Are the operating cost differences between the two engines significant? The dealer tells me they will get the same gas milage, but that doesn’t make sense to me. How about routine maintenance? We like things simple, and probably will never move to a trailer over 25 feet, so I’m sure the SO is more than adequate. But I did like that six speed! Can’t try a five cause none of the dealers around here stock 'em. I have not operated diesel equipment before, but in my old flying days, I flew everything from round-engined DC-4s to modern turbines (meaning, I don’t know nothin’ about diesel).<br><br>Am getting ready to order a truck, since I don’t want to lose much more than the original “drive it off the lot” depreciation on the 1500. Now I’m just trying to whittle down the fine points, like SO w/5sp or HO w/6spd. What d’ya think, is it worth it to go to the HO, or is that just too much overkill for 5 to 8 thousand pounds of trailer?<br>
Old 11-05-2002, 11:31 AM

Re:again with newbie questions

I for one can't understand why DC couldn't figure out where to put an &quot;HO&quot; emblem somewhere on my truck for the extra 800 bucks. Its kinda hard using hand signals telling them that I've got a 6 speeder in here. <br><br>My dealer said they rarely sold any SO handshakers. They either have auto's in them, or they sell HO's. Mine was the only one I'd seen on a lot, and I had checked out a few.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:21 PM

Once you BOMB it, It doesn't make any difference. SO, HO, its all irrelevant. Now you are CTD.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:03 AM

Most everyone has been buying HO 6speed cause we can.<br><br>Our poor buddies to the South, and the Northland can't buy an HO 6speed. That tells me I want one! <br><br>Sierra is happy with his SO 5 speed, but he can't buy anything bigger in Californicate State.<br><br>My motto is this, they tell some of the guys they can't have them, they are bigger, they gotta be better!<br><br>Love shifting Daisy ;D<br><br>My motto also says, &quot;If you buy the best, you will always be satisfied&quot;<br><br>To each his own, and glad to have you on board!<br><br>Hunter<br><br>
Old 11-06-2002, 09:43 AM

Hunter, define northland, 'cuz we canuckleheads can certainly get the HO 6. By the way...nice ride you've got there! 8)
Old 11-06-2002, 01:12 PM

Soundbrz, Get what you can afford. My standard output is all I can get in California. It is more than adequate for my needs. It is rated to tow 13,800#, dry weight on my 5er is 9200# and ready to tow, 10,800#. I have towed a 6-7%, 8 mile grade in 4th gear. It tows 3%or less grades in 5th gear. Since I have only 2000 miles on her the fuel mileage is still improving. My overall towing mileage is up to 12.2 mpg. With my 5.9 L gasser it was 8.7 mpg. for the same trailer. Solo Highway mileage is 19.5 mpg now. In town mileage is now 17.5 mpg which includes 6- 14% grades because I live in Sierra Mtns. Just made a trip this morning which included one 11% grade and one 14% grade both of which are over one mile long and include horseshoe curves. This morning is typical of my intown driving.

Standard output costs about $1000 less than High Output. I'm planning on putting a little black box on mine in the future which will raise the torque to equal High Output version, Cost less than $600.

Which ever version you buy be sure to get an exhaust brake for towing.

Good luck on your decision. ;D
Old 11-06-2002, 01:33 PM

I believe Maine is also not allowing the HO engine?<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-06-2002, 01:50 PM

soundbrz, either engine will work for your needs. Truth be known, I walked into my dealer ready to order an SO/5 speed. But this Blue 2500 RAM HO just arrived at the dealer. He gave me a great deal, and coupled with the fact that I wouldn't have to wait for the ordered truck to be delivered, I drove that one home.<br><br>With your load, the SO with 3.73's would be plenty. I think if you were going to put a camper on back, I'd go with a 3500, and probably dually as well.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:29 PM

I was told on a visit up north that anyone haulin a slide-in camper must have a 1 ton rating or they are illegal on the highways. Could some of our esteemed, Cummins driving, brothers from the Provinces enlighten us on this? Are there any states where this is the law? ???
Old 11-07-2002, 12:52 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Sierra Phil link=board=20;threadid=6639;start=0#63285 date=1036646956]<br>camper must have a 1 ton rating or they are illegal on the highways. Could some of our esteemed, Cummins driving, brothers from the Provinces enlighten us on this?<br>[/quote]<br><br>This is an urban legend up here, which has now apparently been expanded to include slide-ins. For a year or so, the story was that our gov't will be passing a law requiring a truck to have dual wheels to pull a trailer. This has been emphatically denied by anyone involved in the rule making process. And as for the slide-in, as long as you don't exceed your vehicles weight rating, you're fine. But our DOT probably would never know, as I've _never_ seen a camper stopped and going through the weigh in process.<br><br>Rod
Old 11-07-2002, 10:38 AM

Push Rod is right ... mostly. British Columbia has some different requirements for hauling due to all of them little rocky hills that they have out there! I can't remember the exact numbers, but I believe that for hauling in the bed as long as you haven't exceeded your weight limits you're fine, as for towing I believe that if you are pulling anything longer than 29 feet that it has to be with a one ton dually. Only found this out because my brother-in-law was looking to purchase a fifth.<br><br>Let's see what our B.C. brothers have to say ... Wantabee??? [undecided]