24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Which Oil?...again, and again and..

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Oil?...again, and again and..

Oh man, I'm sure this gets asked enough times to make people's hair fall out... I really do apologize.

It's my first oil change and I've got the gitters about every darned thing.

I've use the search features and come up with debates on Delo vs Amsoil and such But.....

What I'd really like to do is to use the same Castrol Syntec 20-50 that I use in all my other cars/trucks.

Is this a problem for the CTD?

The reason I'd like to use this oil is because I've had good luck with it and generate my savings by purchasing it by the case since it works great in all my gas powered vehicles.

Also, I bought the K&N "Gold" oil filter...hope that's OK?

Drop in K&N air filter while I was at it.

Man, all the acronyms....DTT CTD ATS ETC ETC...
There should be an acronym page with links somewhere (hmmmm should I suggest that?)

Anyway, here in SoCal, it's getting Brrrrrrr cold. It might even hit 50 degrees this week! Hope that engine warmer thing works

20-50 synthetic off-the-shelf seem ok for this sort of climate?

Many Thanks
Sean
Old 11-12-2002, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Which Oil?...again, and again and..

[quote author=Sean S link=board=4;threadid=6967;start=0#65966 date=1037148020]<br>Man, all the acronyms....DTT CTD ATS ETC ETC...<br>There should be an acronym page with links somewhere (hmmmm should I suggest that?)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Go to the tech facts section. You'll find it.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:46 PM

&quot;Tech Facts&quot;.......um....OK!<br><br>Kind of a maze around here for us noobie mice
Old 11-12-2002, 06:56 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

[quote author=Sean S link=board=4;threadid=6967;start=0#65971 date=1037148397]
&quot;Tech Facts&quot;.......um....OK!

Kind of a maze around here for us noobie mice
[/quote]

For starters the Cummins takes a &quot;Diesel Rated&quot; oil.
Diesel oils
The Castrol GTX is NOT diesel rated. I use it in all my gassers too but NOT in my CTD.
The K&amp;N air filter is OK (I'm using one too).
The K&amp;N oil filter is debateable, but probably OK.
Most prefer to use the Fleetguard Stratopore oil filter as it is the prefered filter by &quot;Father Cummins&quot;.

Link to definition of Acronyms.
abbreviations defined

guide to part numbers

All this and much, much more available with a simple click on the Tech Facts button at the top of the page. ;D
Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:11 PM

Here's a link:<br>https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...p;onlynewfaq=1<br><br>Off the top of my head, here are some of the more readily available brands that meet the specs: Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo, Valvoline Premium Blue, and Shell Rotella T. Most if not all of these are available as synthetics, as well. There are also other brands, such as Amsoil, that are not typically found at retailers or auto parts jobbers.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:38 PM
HC

Reminder - Cummins recommends against switching to synthetic until AFTER break-in. Could be as much as 20k under light loads, but I would recommend at least 10k regardless.<br><br>(can't pass up another chance to offer pure opinion for which no &quot;proof&quot; is ever going to convince anyone):<br><br>I think that Delo is the best &quot;dino&quot; oil.<br>For synthetics I'd say Amsoil 15W-40 (Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine) in most climates; Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 if it's really cold or if you have any hesitation about the Amsoil name.<br><br>
Old 11-13-2002, 05:39 AM

Hesitation about the Amsoil name ? I hesitate when I see Mobil, Shell, Valvoline, etc., makes me think BIG OIL, The same feeling I get when I think GOVERNMENT!!
Old 11-13-2002, 06:49 PM

[quote author=HC link=board=4;threadid=6967;start=0#66043 date=1037155127]<br>Reminder - Cummins recommends against switching to synthetic until AFTER break-in. Could be as much as 20k under light loads, but I would recommend at least 10k regardless.<br><br>(can't pass up another chance to offer pure opinion for which no &quot;proof&quot; is ever going to convince anyone):<br><br>I think that Delo is the best &quot;dino&quot; oil.<br>For synthetics I'd say Amsoil 15W-40 (Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine) in most climates; Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 if it's really cold or if you have any hesitation about the Amsoil name.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, I figured he'd find the &quot;no synthetic until after break-in&quot; info by looking at the Tech Facts link.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:15 AM
HC

On oil filters, you need to search for the TSB on Fritz's Ram Page and read that before you use a K&amp;N. Some engines have been destroyed due to oil filters coming apart, or casing ruptures due to the high pressures on start up. If that happens, your warranty is void unless you used an &quot;approved&quot; filter. Fleetguard Stratapores can be had at reasonable prices (anywhere except a Mopar parts counter). New engines can't. But this is America, it's your call!<br><br>On Hesitation about Amsoil; I don't have any personally, but I grew weary of listening to (and participating in) arguments from those who do. My current position is, Amsoil's in my truck, but I don't sell it and if anyone has the ******* about it I'd rather see them using Delvac, Delo or a couple of others I named than go running off to who-knows-what because their uncle / truck driver friend / cousin who lives on a farm recommended it or recommended against Amsoil.<br><br>A while back, the young man at the local quick lube spotted an Amsoil box in my truck, and volunteered that he'd seen a lot of problems with Amsoil. I asked what kind. He said, &quot;oh, you know, people get that stuff and then think they never need to change or check the oil level again, they just forget about it.&quot; &quot;Any problems with people who do check levels and change it once in awhile?&quot;, I ask. &quot;Nope, seems to be good stuff if you do that, but you know how some people are.&quot; If I hadn't already known about Amsoil and asked questions, another anti-Amsoil myth could have been born that day.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:01 PM

Use any brand of oil you prefer as long as it is rated for diesels. I personally use Delo, many others are available. And I may never actually change to synthetic, I change my oil too much to make it pay for me I think.<br><br>Whatever oil you choose, follow a regular maintenance schedule and use good parts. Remember, good in, good out. I also like to use fleetgaurd filters. I just have a warm and fuzzy feeling about them.<br><br>Just my $.02<br><br>
Old 11-15-2002, 12:25 PM

Well, I wen't out and bought the Amsoil package... flush, filters, 1 1/2gal of 15-40 desiel/marine.<br><br>I still don't like the &quot;Amway&quot; type setup, and every &quot;participant&quot; that I spoke to (on a rather lengthy search for the stuff) had to give me the 20 minute run-down on why and how and... blah blah blah.<br>Of course, most of them haven't a clue what they are talking about (which doesn't mean it isn't true), and seem to be re-running the same &quot;Motor Oil Bible&quot; speech over and over like they are selling time-shares or something.<br><br>Grandpa's Audi went over 300k with regular 10-40 pennzoil, I have a machine shop (which can be very lube dependant), and I've had more cars than years I've spent on earth.<br>In other words, I could do without the &quot;did you know that...&quot; and &quot;3000mi is a myth&quot; type pitches. &quot;Yes, I know sir, and that is true of any good oil...especially synthetics&quot;<br>To me, I'll run it and *stay* un-convinced. I figure enough people are using it that it cannot be *bad* oil, and I'll just hope that the reverse is true and it is actually really good oil.<br>I need to change the oil right away since I just got the truck, but I'll do some serious research over time.<br><br>I'm tempted though to put a few drops of maple syrup in this oil test thing. I'd feel alot better if the results came back as &quot;sugar compounds in oil&quot;. It's not that hard to aquire a spectral analysis machine (I've even sold a couple), and it would be nice to know they are using one for the extra 14 bux they take in on so many oil changes.<br><br>Ok, Ok... so I sound like a grumpy skeptic. Don't get the wrong idea. I am open and adventurous or I wouldn't have bought it. I also ran Slick 50, and Dura-Lube, and all the others too. If it makes me feel like I did something extra....well...that's OK with me.<br><br>Sean