3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Additive

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone experimented with about 6oz of acetone to 35 gal of diesel. Supposed to yield a more complete burn of the fuel and is in a small enough amount that (theoretically) doesn't hurt anything. I tried it two tank fulls in a row with my RIP 04.5 and didn't notice any difference, so I quit.
Jamie
Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bs..........
Old 06-01-2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by DiEseLjunKy
I dump 5 ounces of Howes meaner power cleaner and 15 ounces of Howes lubricator anti-gel in there on every fill up. They don't have any alcohol or solvents which are bad for injectors. They demulsify water out of fuel really well. I drain fuel out of my water seperator once a month and there's always a little water that comes out which probably wouldn't if not for the Howes. The main reason I use them is for their biocide properties keeping the the bacteria from growing in my tank. They lube the injectors. You could get by just fine without additive. ULSD is no different from LSD lubricty wise according to the refiners. But I treat my truck better than my girlfriend and I think it likes to sip on the Howes
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you are supposed to use both Howes products at the same time. Its either one or the other. Meaner Cleaner in the summer (or as needed) and the lubricator anti-gel in the winter.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:21 PM

As I previously posted, I use the Lucas Upper Cylinder lube. I used it off and on prior to ULSD. Use it all the time now. Happened to be walking thru the local flea market this AM. What did I see sitting on a table? A still sealed gallon jug of the Lucas that I use. Only $10!!! Wish she'd have had more!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jmac
Anyone experimented with about 6oz of acetone to 35 gal of diesel. Supposed to yield a more complete burn of the fuel and is in a small enough amount that (theoretically) doesn't hurt anything. I tried it two tank fulls in a row with my RIP 04.5 and didn't notice any difference, so I quit.
Jamie
For awhile I was running 4.5 oz of Acetone along with 4.5 oz of Xylol per 30 gallons of Diesel. Initially I saw huge gains (3 mpg). Right off the bat. After a while of not using it I still average higher MPG than before using it. It could have been a cleansing thing, could have been PFM. Either way I am no longer using this mix. BTW my truck had 22000 the first time I added this cocktail.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:42 PM

Drew's Brew for the win!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I did use some Howe's Meaner Cleaner with good results. The best thing you can do is to work the engine hard pulling a heavy load. That works the best out of all the additives combined.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the way they make diesel now days along with the screw ups at the tank farm it sure doesn't hurt to add something to to your fuel to help lube the system and keep the injectors clean.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Dually
for you guys using two stroke oil as a fuel additive, about how many ounces per tank? Also, any benefits with petrol or synthetic 2 stroke oils?
i use a synthetic blend, it seems about the same as TCW 3.... the reason i use it, it was real cheap
Old 06-12-2007, 09:03 AM

As for 2 cycle oil I've been running it for awhile now and enjoy the benefits of it... So far I've improve my MPG's, my HP/TQ numbers and cold start performance. You may ask how...

I'm mixing 128:1 ratio of 2 cycle oil and diesel fuel. so that's 1 ounce of oil for every 1 gallon of fuel.

On my dyno run I turned out 381 HP / 826 TQ running 105:1 ratio of Walmart Supertech Outboard 2 cycle oil and #2 diesel fuel no other additives!
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mopar197...dynojet640.jpg

Then as for my MPG's They have gone from 16-17 MPG to 18-19 MPG still rising...
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mopar197...el%20graph.jpg

As for cold start up... I can go down to -20.2*F and start up cold without the aid of a anti-gel additve...
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mopar197...95-640x480.jpg

As for cetane booster... You don't need any cetane boosters in todays fuel it exceeds the minimum mark of 40 cetane. Most fuels today are around 45 cetane rating...
http://www.cpchem.com/enu/tds_unsecu...el_summary.pdf
So there is absolutely no need for more cetane booster in the summer time... Maybe in the cold winters...

As for you power service users...QUIT OVERDOSING! Its a 400:1 ratio for power service! 9.6 Ozs of PS to 30 Gallons of Fuel! It right on their web site and on the back of the bottle! The 96 Oz bottle says right on it makes for 300 Gallons! You don't need 1 quart to a tank...
Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 PM

I was using PS and MMO for years and not seeing anything. One day I put 8oz of Howe's Meaner Kleaner in a tank, my fuel pressure went up 3-4psi, engine runs better and quieter. Now I use 4oz. Howe's Meaner Kleaner and 8oz. 2 cycle every tank. I'll never use PS again. If you don't believe, just drop 8-10oz. of Howe's Meaner Kleaner in your tank, you will believe.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BPoulsen
I use Power Service in the gray bottle - 1/2 bottle per tank.

BTW - just had a thought - if you use ATF, and you get stopped and your tank gets dipped for offroad fuel, will they nail you because the ATF is red?
Why would some one want to check what type of fuel you are running in your pick up truck? I have never heard of such a thing. (random stops for fuel checks? HUH?)
Old 06-12-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by MEGA COP
Why would some one want to check what type of fuel you are running in your pick up truck? I have never heard of such a thing. (random stops for fuel checks? HUH?)
Yes they do, do fuel checks to see if your using Red dyed fuel (Red dyed diesel is non taxed fuel) and the fine can be up to $10,000 if you get caught using it.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar1973man
http://www.cpchem.com/enu/tds_unsecu...el_summary.pdf
So there is absolutely no need for more cetane booster in the summer time... Maybe in the cold winters...

I looked at the URL of the Chevron PDF and see that the Centane they had listed has dropped down from 49-55 in 2004 to 43-47 in 2006, that is a drop of between 6 and 8 Centane points and that drop does hurt our mileage. I also wonder how much the fuel they produce has a Centane above 43. I noticed thay also did not list the BUT/lb numbers.

IIRC Bosch has always wanted a minimum of 50 Centane for our fuel (in the EU it runs between 55 and 60 Centane with the minimum of 50 Centane) and I have seen a lot fuel in the USA that is down in the 40-42 range. The best fuel I can get in my area is listed as 42-46 depending on location. Also I can tell when the Centane is up near the 45-46 range by engine performance and mileage. IMHO any thing below the 50 Centane that Bosch wants our fuel to be at is Bull **** and lets Big oil make more $$ by producing and giving us poor fuel to burn.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
Yes they do, do fuel checks to see if your using Red dyed fuel (Red dyed diesel is non taxed fuel) and the fine can be up to $10,000 if you get caught using it.
I am a Police Officer in Michigan and have never heard of such a thing...interesting. I could see maybee a Motor carrier unit checking on the big rigs...(Peties, kenworths,etc....)but not on a pick up truck.

Quick Reply: Additive