3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

47RE owners: question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 10:03 AM
ck1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47RE owners: question

i love my truck but this trans is a questionable beast...it shift thru all the gears under light throttle (towing or not)...anything over 1/2 throttle (warm or cold) like getting on the freeway, it hangs in third and wont go into o/d or lock up for at least 5 to 7 seconds and sometimes not all EVEN after lifting off the throttle...called my local looser dealer and they have never heard of this...I dont want NO one monkying around in there unless they have a fix....anyone have the same problem and if so whats the fix...oh ..I called the D/C hotline and the usual answers..."please sir , take it to you dealer"...well...if they dont know than I dont want them touching it....HELP! :'(
Old 03-06-2003, 10:09 AM

Re:47RE owners: question

I have no answers for you but you are not the only one. Mine does it as well as some others I've read about. Sometimes it seems worse than other but always does it.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:34 AM

I have never experienced it.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:26 PM

If anything, mine shifts into OD too soon.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:14 PM

Yes, mine does this as well, and is one of the first "quirks" I noticed about this truck. My theory is that the ECM is programmed to de-fuel when shifting under load to protect the transmission. It seems like it is de-fueling too soon, and the truck does not accelerate as fast as it was, and it delays the upshift. This was a problem on some of the 2001's, there was a TSB to reprogram the ECM to restore full power in OD. I bet they'll have a reprogram out soon to fix this condition.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:34 PM

My wonderful piece of junk does this also. I have brought it back twice for the concern and they have reprogramed both times. Both times I take the tech out with me on the ride, and geez guess what. The same problem. He says he is clueless. I get to take it back yet again for the same concern. As now i can hold the truck at half throttle and it will stick in 3rd gear untill I back out of the accelerator. Oh and I am still waiting on my Torque convertor valve...
Old 03-06-2003, 11:08 PM

Hate to be bearer of bad news...but the solution is 6 SPEED !!<br><br>I had a '97 with the Auto - loved the motor, not the tranny. Swore to never own another diesel automatic truck. <br><br>Sorry, I know that doesn't help you one iota...but I couldn't resist, I made the same mistake as all of you in '97....paid a bunch of extra money for a slush-bucket automatic. <br><br>Now, possibly some help....I put a transgo shift kit in, and a converter lock up switch (manually operated toggle on the dash). Those two mods actually really helped - after doing it I wish I had done it much earlier.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:25 AM
Banned

[quote author=misterKTM link=board=20;threadid=11873;start=0#112696 date=1047013730]<br>Hate to be bearer of bad news...but the solution is 6 SPEED !!<br><br>I had a '97 with the Auto - loved the motor, not the tranny. Swore to never own another diesel automatic truck. <br><br>Sorry, I know that doesn't help you one iota...but I couldn't resist, I made the same mistake as all of you in '97....paid a bunch of extra money for a slush-bucket automatic. <br><br>Now, possibly some help....I put a transgo shift kit in, and a converter lock up switch (manually operated toggle on the dash). Those two mods actually really helped - after doing it I wish I had done it much earlier. <br>[/quote]<br><br><br>My last automatic diesel (F*rd diesel with the awesome E4OD ) I always had to lift my foot for it to shift. I sorta got used to it. Drive it easy, it would shift, pull a load and the pedal was always being modulated. That is the reason all my trucks since have been standard trannys. Dealer worked on it a couple of times never any better so I just drove it. Wondering if it is the nature of the beast????? BTW it was rebuilt at 60k, 100k and was cooked again when I dumped the truck at 200k. Watch your fluid for burning smell or colour. If in the early miles you have discoloured fluid something is possibly slipping inside. HTH.<br>
Old 03-07-2003, 02:15 PM

That is why I liked the manual lock up switch - It would shift when I wanted it to then. Plus it actually pulls with the converter locked up!
Old 03-07-2003, 10:14 PM

Now that I started talking bad about the shift problem it has seemed to stop. The past two days it has been shifting smooth like it should. It has been really hot the last couple of days and I just turned 3K. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or no. I'll hammer if again tomorrow and see what happens.