3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2003 cranks over but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to get my 2cents in here. I have a 03 and i have replaced lift pump, tightened the cross over tubes, Intake Map sensor for grid heater, FCA valve, new ECM, Flash for long start, had flow tests and return tests, Pressure relief valve replaced, new filters 4 in 4 weeks, tested all sensors related to fuel, Cleaned fuel tank and lines. Dealers say injectors fine but did not do a pressure test on anything. Nothing so far went through two different dealers in a 35 mile radius of me. Been in the shops 6 times. Both dealers will not even look at the truck anymore. Told me not to bring it back. Let me tell you NO 5 star rating for them total so far $5746 into truck and still will not start right. Today I drove it 2 hrs away to another dealer that says he knows what it is and that he will fix it. He also told me that half of what i paid for is covered under warrenty and he will help me get my money back. I dont see that happening but i will try. I will keep you all posted.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:13 AM

Good job mopig. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll go out on a limb and say they are going to replace at least 1 injector. I hope I'm wrong, I hope it's something simple. Do keep us informed, I'm still limping. Thanks - Curtis
Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CatDiesel_762
I believe, a lot of you are having fuel lift/transfer pump problems from the way you all are describing the symptoms. Lets not confuse this lift pump with the engine mounted Injector pump (Cp3). If you follow everyones post, you will see that most of the problems went away after they replaced the stock lift/transfer pump with either a aftermarket or OEM in the fuel tank pump. In fact Leonesm stated he replaced his injector then had the pump go out. He then replace the stock lift pump with the Glacier Diesel unit, which I believe was the original problem.

If you are going to go through all the trouble to replace all the injectors with new or remanufactured ones for a few hundred bucks. And throw money at this problem. Then I suggest, you should try to replace the stock lift pump with an aftermarket pump either on the frame or in the tank. Replacing the pump should be around the 200-300 mark. You will notice, it is a lot cheaper than injectors.
This might be the best aproach even if the symptoms don't completely match a lift pump failure. It is something that should be replaced anyway and it can cause similar problems.

The lift pump is a known problem with these trucks and very likely to fail sooner or later. When it does it does a couple of things. When driving along the truck will loose power and stop. A lot of cranking is likely to bring it back to life and it will run for a while. Then die and be hard to start again. Mine died on the freeway and I drove it home. I had to re-start about six times on the way home, and some of those starts were long, but it did start and I got home.

The point is that the failure almost matches the description given here by others and the pumps are a known problem.

Again, I can't see how this can be injectors. Why would they all fail at once? And opening up the fuel filter would not affect the injectors in any way I can think of but it might affect the lift pump because the act of working on the filter canister would be the same as tapping on the pump and getting it to run again.

Just because a dealer put in a couple of injectors and it seems to have made a difference that doesn't mean injectors were the problem.

John
Old 08-22-2007, 10:13 AM

Understood, BUT, a lot of us are having these symptoms after replacing the lift pump. I put a FASS on mine and it pumps like crazy, so that's not it. All the injectors don't have to be bad. If you have 1 injector that is either leaking because it's cracked or bypassing fuel back to the tank because it won't close all the way, that will make it hard to get the common rail pressured up. The ECM takes a signal from the fuel pressure sensor and tells the injectors when to operate. If you're pumping fuel beack to the tank when the rail is still needing to be pressurized, you may never get that signal. But, it's quite possible for the CP3, after some long cranking to outrun the leaking injector and get the rail pressured up so that the pressure sensor sends the proper voltage to the ECM which then says "Fire off". Sure, could be a faulty sensor, but you'd get an error code. Could be faulty pressure relief valve (sticking open), but I plugged mine and still had the same problem. I'm just running down all the possibilities until things start to point towards the end of the line.....the injector(s). Anyway, that only my philosophy......I'll know soon.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:40 AM

I have a FASS and a stage 2 cp3 and mine still does it.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:11 PM

Have had the same hard starting when warm problem for a long time now. Had my second leak down test in the past four months last week. 4 injectors were leaking over 200 ml. Pressures were checked at the lift and injector pumps and were normal. Injectors are ordered and the installation is Friday. I'm lucky enough to have family in the dealership business and am comfortable with diesel tech they have had for over 20 years.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:52 PM

I just had both the injector pump AND in tank lift pump replaced a few weeks ago...truck started after that, still a long crank time, but it started. Then after a week or so the crank time got longer and longer and then it would not start without help from "a little spray can." I have no codes stored up...it just seems unlikely that it would be a fuel delivery issue from the tank to the injector pump with both pumps being new....
Old 08-22-2007, 06:51 PM

Dealer called today all 6 injectors are shot. None of the injectors passed the pop test and the flow back was way out of spec. You would think the other dealers would have done the job right. I have 95000 on the truck and he is replacing them all under warranty. He also informed me that i did not need the Pressure Relief valve or the FCA valve, and the cross over tubes should have been all done under the warranty. He'll call me tomorrow when its all done. Cross my fingers. Also he will help me try and get my money back. Somtimes you find good dealers.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mopig
Dealer called today all 6 injectors are shot. None of the injectors passed the pop test and the flow back was way out of spec. You would think the other dealers would have done the job right. I have 95000 on the truck and he is replacing them all under warranty. He also informed me that i did not need the Pressure Relief valve or the FCA valve, and the cross over tubes should have been all done under the warranty. He'll call me tomorrow when its all done. Cross my fingers. Also he will help me try and get my money back. Somtimes you find good dealers.
Sounds like good news for you! Hope it fixes the truck and you get your $ back! Did they say why all 6 of the injectors were bad??
Old 08-22-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think my problem was a lift pump issue until I installed the new injectors. Why would the truck fire, start and run fine when using ether to start it if the lift pump was at fault. The added strain on the LP killed it with the addition of bigger injectors.

I believe I had one or two injectors that were the cause of the problem. That's why replacing them solved it and also why I could limp the truck along on ether. If the lift pump were the issue then it would still have been present after changing the injectors. I agree that the lift pumps on these trucks are a poor design but I would do a few tests before throwing a LP at it.

I am surprised to see that ALL of flyfishers injectors were bad...Glad to here you found a good dealer that will work with you

-Steve
Old 08-23-2007, 06:23 AM

guess i gotta join this no start club. same symptoms as you guys. installed fass, same probs.
had a computer check that would shut each injector off, one at a time, supposedly they are good. would i not notice if a injector was out??
Old 08-23-2007, 08:33 PM

There is a few test they can do and should do. The first dealer just did the flow return test and said it is good. The other said that the DBR III tool said the injectors were good. Dealer now 1st pop tested the injectors to see the movement, Then did a return flow test mine failed both tests and did somthing with capping off each injector one at a time to test. Then did the DRB III tool to shut down each one then came up with all shot. I have found that all diesel tech are not trained fully. Has to do with years in the shop and a lot of trial and error. Now a days its alot of error not much trial, dealers want money not service. $45,000 for a truck and $5000 each time you come to visit. Not to mention we need your truck for a week while we try and figure it out. If its not in the book or online we dont know is the answer or no codes so its fine. Lack of info in the shops. IMO pay the techs more of the $65 a hour they will care more. Mine should be done tomorrow injectors came in at 3:30 so they started today finish tomorrow. $0.00 cost to me warrenty baby is nice. Hopfully its fixed.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:02 PM

i always thought that if an injector(s) was shot that truck would run like crap.
is anyone else getting codes 2509 and 0628. one is to do with ecm/pcm, other to do with low fuel at lp.
i am thinking that ecm is shot or needs to be flashed. that for what ever reason ecm is not sending enough fuel to lp.
just installed fass. good for3 starts. now ether time. of to dealer tomorrow with my theory.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:23 AM

I don't have any codes...
Old 08-24-2007, 01:44 PM

I replaced my lift pump did not fix the problem, I need to find one more injector and i will replace them to see if that is the problem until then I will keep using ether

Quick Reply: 2003 cranks over but will not start