3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2003 cranks over but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woodzy,

What did the shop use as replacement injectors? 1, a few, or all? Based on what type of injectors you now have, do you notice any performance improvements? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks - Curtis
Old 08-15-2007, 12:29 PM

For hard starting or no start, Don't forget the CR high pressure sensor and/or relief valve. Either one of these malfunctioning can cause this problem.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:55 PM

cwoodall- The shop told me replacement stock injectors were going to be $500 apiece. I told him no and went to dominatordiesel I think it was and got their 60hp replacements for a little more than half the price of the stockers. It's been about 9 months so far w/ no problems(knock on wood). The hp upgrade is very nice as well. Mine was a longer start time for about a month, then it just up and quit starting altogether one morning.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:34 PM

That's nuts. You can have much better than stock injectors for a heck of a lot less than that.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:59 PM

I think this no start for the 03's is not a problem but an epidemic. I think some research into the cause is in order.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by carleshicks
I think this no start for the 03's is not a problem but an epidemic. I think some research into the cause is in order.
I agree, it just doesn't seem right that so many of us are having the same issue. I don't want to replace the injectors and then have the problem resurface down the road...the injectors must be failing for a reason... I am glad to hear that someone was able to fix the problem by replacing the injectors...amazing how much the dealers want you to shell out for new injectors
Old 08-15-2007, 08:03 PM

You need at least 5000 psi to fire an injector.At 150RPM crank speed your cp3 won't be able to build up pressure if you have a slight leak in the injector.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These injectors do not need ANY pressure to open. They are electrically operated, not pop off, at least everything I have read does not mention anything about a minimum pressure.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:32 AM

I was told by the shop if you don't run a good fuel filter it will let too many particulates thru which eat away the return valve?? in the injector. Too much fuel coming back to the tank and not enough going in to fire. Of course it was the chips fault too, seems like everything is the chips fault...
Woodzy- "Hey mr shop manager, why do my wipers go bad so quick??"
Mr. Shop Manager- "You got a chip in it??"
Old 08-16-2007, 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=vzdude;1649411]These injectors do not need ANY pressure to open. They are electrically operated, not pop off, at least everything I have read does not mention anything about a minimum pressure.[/QUOTE

I am aware that the ECM controls the fueling and timing of the engine by actuating the injectors.I'm talking about the high fuel pressure supplied by the CP3 that is accumulating in the fuel rail which supply high pressure fuel contantly to the injectors.If you have a slight leak and bleeding off pressure,it will take a long crank for the CP3 to build up pressure to properly atomize the fuel.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:02 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

[quote=ctdnoypi;1651343]
Originally Posted by vzdude
These injectors do not need ANY pressure to open. They are electrically operated, not pop off, at least everything I have read does not mention anything about a minimum pressure.[/QUOTE

I am aware that the ECM controls the fueling and timing of the engine by actuating the injectors.I'm talking about the high fuel pressure supplied by the CP3 that is accumulating in the fuel rail which supply high pressure fuel contantly to the injectors.If you have a slight leak and bleeding off pressure,it will take a long crank for the CP3 to build up pressure to properly atomize the fuel.
O.K.! I thought you were implying that they were the old "pop off" style! LOL
Old 08-16-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add me to the list of non-starting 2003's?!?!?!?!
Was going down the freeway this afternoon and the dang thing just shut down on me.
Cranks great, won't start
Will sometimes start and run for about 5 seconds, then shut off. if I press the gas pedal in this time, it tries to respond, but just dies.
After a while of sitting, it started and ran enough for me to get 1 mile from my house. Sat a little longer and got to within .5 miles from my house. off the main street, I called my neighbor and got strapped home by a <ick>Ford</ick>

If this is a common problem amongst this model, then there is something behind it. Mine is bone stock and 41K miles on it and has towed ~7,000 lbs about 20% of the time, so it's definitely not rode hard and put away dripping.
There are a few commonalities here:
ULSD
Model of engine

I wonder if our engine serial numbers are close to each other's? Maybe it is a bad batch from Cummins?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:04 AM

Mikey,
Sounds like your issue is with the lift pump. Do the key on/off/on three times quickly to display the error codes on the odo readout and post the codes.

MikeyB
Old 08-17-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Mikey,
Sounds like your issue is with the lift pump. Do the key on/off/on three times quickly to display the error codes on the odo readout and post the codes.

MikeyB
talked to John Holmes from TDR, he immediately said lift pump. On hold w/ Chrysler corp right now to verify warranty status, as I've gotten three different answers from three different dealers. Too bad the one that said it's covered is in another state.
I'll grab the codes in a bit. The CEL never came on except a few seconds after the engine died. Does the CEL not come on and stay on with a code?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:37 PM

just got off the phone with Chrysler.
I have 5 active warranties right now, everything I could need is covered. I got a reference number and was told to give that to the dealer. With that, they can call in and possibly get me authorized for a rental car, based on circumstances.
Injectors, injection pump, transfer pump - Cummins wty (7yr/100K, after 3/36 expires)
Lift pump - Chrysler Emissions wty (5yr/100K, from inservice date)
Towing is also covered, so I'm calling roadside now to come and get it.

Quick Reply: 2003 cranks over but will not start