3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2003 cranks over but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cranks over but will not start

Hey everyone, new to the website... I bought a 2003 2500 with 120,000 on it over the winter. The everything on the truck looks mint, very little wear and tear for the miles. I got it because I read that the Cummins will go forever with proper care and I love the sound of a diesel (I manage a farm too, so I actually can put the truck to use!). I knew it wasn't 100% from the get go but I am not sure where to turn next... When I first got it it would start, but it would crank far too long before it fired up. Now it usually will not start without starting fluid, which I know is bad but I don't have any other choice to get it started. I have been working with my mechanic (a trusted friend) to try and figure out the issue. I have put new batteries in, and I went big and had the "revised kit" put out by Dodge put in, (a new injector and lift pump). The truck was starting after the new pumps but not anymore. I changed the fuel filter yesterday and it started 3 or 4 times through out the day (still taking a little long before firing up) but it stopped starting today. I read through almost every post on the site the past few days involving similar issues, but I am hoping some of you experienced folks can head me in the right direction...
Old 08-14-2007, 09:56 PM

A lot of us are having the same problem with the 03's and it just started happening in the last few monthes. I believe that the new low sulfer fuel is to blame, and bad injectors are the cause. I am in the process right now of trying to track down a no start problem with the exact same symptoms as yours. for now I will just change the fuel filter every couple of days until I get my injectors rebuilt.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:15 AM

How does the low sulpher fuel damage the injectors? I heard folks saying the low sulpher stuff does not lubricate and that a fuel additive will help... Has anyone else had this same issue, replaced thier injectors and had the problem go away?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:52 AM

I have the same problem, but have not yet replaced any injector(s). I think I am in denial. I have just about eliminated any other possibilities thru testing, twiddling, sacrificing a chicken, and a few other things. Carleshicks, ain't it weird about the fuel filter??? What mechanism makes it to where it will crank up on a new filter install and then go back to doing what it was doing? Maybe if you go thru this in the next day or so, and I know this sounds strange, but just remove the current filter as you would normally, then re-install it, instead of a new filter. This would tell you if it has something to do with opening the system up and closing it back again. Hey, what the heck??? Seems we are all going through the same issues....do I see a group buy on injectors coming over the horizon....??? Thanks - Curtis
Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by cwoodall
... but just remove the current filter as you would normally, then re-install it, instead of a new filter. This would tell you if it has something to do with opening the system up and closing it back again. Hey, what the heck??? Seems we are all going through the same issues....do I see a group buy on injectors coming over the horizon....??? Thanks - Curtis
I will try removing my fuel filter today and then reinstalling it... I can't imagine what simply replacing the filter does to the system to get the truck to fire up... If it indeed is injectors a group buy might not be a bad idea! I just want to make sure that it is indeed injectors though...I am still filtering through all the thread trying to see if anyone has has this issue and resolved it...

P.S. cwoodall what is a "FASS pump"? I see alot of people with that...is it an upgrade on a stock part???
Old 08-15-2007, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just recently someone here had the issue and new injectors resolved it. Think it was around the June time frame.

FASS is a remote lift pump that replaces the stock pump. Can be had with or without filters attachments.

MikeyB
Old 08-15-2007, 07:36 AM

Is it an external lift pump? Is it mounted next to the tank or under the hood before the fuel filter? If the injectors where going bad on our trucks, shouldn't they be running poorly? Mine runs great once it is started, lots of power....
Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 AM

It is an external pump. It mounts up under the bed on/near the frame rail close to the fuel tank. I chose it because it appears to be VERY well built. I can hear mine run all the time, but it provides a certain level of comfort.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:03 AM

i have just pulled the old filter and put it back in and it wil start but not as easy as a new filter. I am afraid if i replace the injectors that they will just go bad again in a year if i don't find the source of the problem
Old 08-15-2007, 08:09 AM

I am getting great mpg on my truck are you all too? What happpens with bad injectors? Are they just not able to get the right spray pattern? Is the common rail not able to build up the high pressure it needs for the truck to fire up?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 AM

Well, my thought is that if an injector, even just 1 injector, is leaking (by-passing) fuel through the normal return port internal to the injector (and goes back to the fuel tank), then, rail pressure will be lower than what the ECM really wants to see. I think after a while of cranking, the pressure picks up to a point that crosses that threshold and the ECM gets satisfied and the engine fires off. Just my latest thinking. Does this sound right to anybody else? Now, I intend to buy the Quadzilla rail pressure gauge along with the accessory kit that allows it to monitor LP pressure too. I think having these two pressures available, while cranking as well as running, will really tell the story. It seems like a good investment for under $200. I'd like to get my hands on a chart that associates voltage at the fuel pressure sensor with pressure so that I can use my Fluke multimeter to eliminate that as a potential problem. I've seen the chart somewhere. I will be so happy when I getthis all sorted out, but it sure helps to discuss ideas here. Thanks - Curtis
Old 08-15-2007, 10:15 AM

cranks but won't start

After joining this web site yesterday, this of course is my first
post.

My '03 H/O with 70,000 miles on it, for some time now while at
operating temperature and has been sitting for a few minutes
the engine cranks for what seems like an extended time but
eventually fires off.
On the other hand, when it is cold it has a normal start up, in
other words, a very large difference in starting performance.
I do think the problem is worsening, any ideas?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:11 AM

I've had the same problems for the past month. Progressed from longer crank time when warmed up, to starts fine when cold, but doesn't start at all when warmed up. Changed the filter and it started fine for a couple days, then went back to not starting. Put an Airdog fuel system on, and it still has the same problems. Retorqued the transfer tubes twice and started fine for three days then went back to not starting both times. Truck runs fine otherwise. Doesn't have loss of power, abnormal smoking, or idle problems. I think injectors are in my future.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 AM

I have not had this problem. (knock on wood) So far everything is fine. (knock on more wood) I do have intermittent times where it will crank over longer than normal. Then I stop, and crank it again and it fires right up....it's done it cold and warm, but when it is warm it will blow a black puff out of the tailpipe at startup.

I'm going to go back to knocking on wood now.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:03 PM

I had the same problem you guys are having w/ no starting and it was my injectors.... Good times... The shop told me the injectors were letting too much fuel back to the tank and not enough into the engine to fire it.

Quick Reply: 2003 cranks over but will not start